Extended Evening Hrs worth the $$ of Deluxe Resort?

NelleBelle

Original Poster
Trying to plan my DS's HS grad trip for early-mid June and am trying to decide if staying at a deluxe resort is worth the $$ for extended evening hrs? I know it's a personal thing but curious the arguments for/against? I'm willing to splurge if my DH decides he doesn't want to come (he's the proverbial "cheapskate"). If he comes, he's pushing for something "off-site".

MickeyCB

Trying to plan my DS's HS grad trip for early-mid June and am trying to decide if staying at a deluxe resort is worth the $$ for extended evening hrs? I know it's a personal thing but curious the arguments for/against? I'm willing to splurge if my DH decides he doesn't want to come (he's the proverbial "cheapskate"). If he comes, he's pushing for something "off-site".
I don't personally know how they are (we didn't take advantage of it during our Oct. trip), but there are several recent trip reports here where people are describing their evenings and they appear to view it as a favorable experience.

zapple

They’re currently just doing Epcot on Mondays and MK on Wednesdays. There really isn’t much open at epcot at that time and the food is all closed. MK seems to be the only one worth it, I’ve heard reports of low waits, so maybe you could just do one night deluxe or dvc and save some money.

NelleBelle

Original Poster
They’re currently just doing Epcot on Mondays and MK on Wednesdays. There really isn’t much open at epcot at that time and the food is all closed. MK seems to be the only one worth it, I’ve heard reports of low waits, so maybe you could just do one night deluxe or dvc and save some money.
That's not a bad thought!

nickys

Premium Member
When you say there isn’t much open at Epcot….. all the rides are open. Much of World Showcase is closed but both Remy and FEA are open, plus the FW rides. I’m struggling to see why this makes it not worthwhile.

Daily Magic

So the food and booths are closed? That’s the best part of Epcot. I am very excited to see MK during this time, I went to a villains event two years ago (2 hours long) and we went on space mountain 5 times back to back with no wait before we had to stop from nausea.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
We did both over Christmas week. Had we been really pushing ourselves, we could easily have done all the attractions in Epcot during the two hours - and that was during one of the most crowded weeks of the year. At Magic Kingdom, there just isn't enough time to do everything, but almost everything is walk-on to 10 minute wait so you can do quite a bit.

The cheapskate way to do it is to move to a DVC on rented points for two nights (Monday to Wednesday stay) and then stay elsewhere the rest of your time. Check-in on Monday will get you the Epcot night and check-out on Wednesday will get you the MK night. Depending on what your cheapskate threshold is, I would say it is pretty valuable. Plus you'd get a couple nights in a nice resort!! :)

NelleBelle

Original Poster
I had a talk with the "cheapskate", aka DH today about how we did not take vacation at all during 2020 (need I say more). Then this past summer we planned a nice 2+ week trip down hwy 101 from Oregon Coast to the Redwoods, Mt. Lassen Nat'l Park, Crater Lake, Bend, OR, and back home to Seattle in our trailer. The day after we left, my mom calls to tell me my brother committed suicide. So that was a bust. We thought we might do Christmas in Hawaii since no one wanted to be here with the recent death of my brother but it was too late to rent anything decent.

So my argument to him was we've not taken vacation for 2 years, this past summer was crap for all of us, Christmas (while nice in it's own way, wasn't what we really wanted as we were surrounded by memories), we've more than "saved" for this trip to stay "on property" again this trip. He agreed (finally), with the caveat we go later in the summer to try and get to go when GotG:CR opens this summer. Now we need to choose which DVC resort to rent points from.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

Sounds like a good plan!

We are doing our first deluxe stay early summer. I was hoping to take advantage of the EMH, but unless they switch the nights for MK and Epcot we'll miss out. DH, DS13, and I are piggybacking on our older two kids' band trip. The only park they're not scheduled to visit is Epcot, so once the rest of the group leaves Tuesday the older two will join us and the plan is to hit Epcot on Wednesday.

Club Cooloholic

I had a talk with the "cheapskate", aka DH today about how we did not take vacation at all during 2020 (need I say more). Then this past summer we planned a nice 2+ week trip down hwy 101 from Oregon Coast to the Redwoods, Mt. Lassen Nat'l Park, Crater Lake, Bend, OR, and back home to Seattle in our trailer. The day after we left, my mom calls to tell me my brother committed suicide. So that was a bust. We thought we might do Christmas in Hawaii since no one wanted to be here with the recent death of my brother but it was too late to rent anything decent.

So my argument to him was we've not taken vacation for 2 years, this past summer was crap for all of us, Christmas (while nice in it's own way, wasn't what we really wanted as we were surrounded by memories), we've more than "saved" for this trip to stay "on property" again this trip. He agreed (finally), with the caveat we go later in the summer to try and get to go when GotG:CR opens this summer. Now we need to choose which DVC resort to rent points from.
I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Your family and especially you deserve to take a nice trip splurge for the deluxe, rent a DVC in whatever one comes up cheapest. They are all pretty good.

Peter Venkman

this does occasionally change. in February Wednesday the 16th and Monday the 21st are magic kingdom and Wednesday the 23rd and Monday the 28th are Epcot.

NelleBelle

Original Poster
I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Your family and especially you deserve to take a nice trip splurge for the deluxe, rent a DVC in whatever one comes up cheapest. They are all pretty good.
Thanks! My teenage boys overruled the plans last night when DH showed them a vacation home that had a very well-themed rec room (they love that there is a pool table, foos ball, air hockey, ping-pong, darts, and VIDEO games to occupy them after they get to come back and swim in the private pool). Also, my DH surprised me by showing me the new truck he's buying me...so I'm ok with forgoing off-property this trip. But I appreciate everyone's great tips!!!

doctornick

When you say there isn’t much open at Epcot….. all the rides are open. Much of World Showcase is closed but both Remy and FEA are open, plus the FW rides. I’m struggling to see why this makes it not worthwhile.

The big "issue" would be I guess that the rides in Epcot are all so spread out that you lose a lot of time walking between them if you are just trying to hit them all quickly. On top of that, you can pretty much do most everything at FW in the evening except Test Track with short waits so the value of the perk at Epcot isn't as significant. Even Soarin' has relatively short waits generally.

That said, doing something like Test Track -> (3 Caballeros if desired on the way) -> Frozen Ever After -> Ratatouille or the reverse would probably be a reasonable use of the extra hours in terms of saving you wait time compared to during regular hours. Once GotG opens that will be even more true.

The annoying thing though is that DHS in particular would be very beneficial to have this late night perk, more than Epcot. It would be nice if they could add that in as a third day each week or replace Epcot with DHS.

MotherofaPrincessLover

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. I'm coming up on 21 years since my brother took his life, definitely a hard adjustment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom