Figment bucket craze, if this doesn’t tell them something I don’t know what will

Prince-1

If I won the lottery I wouldn't pay this much for that bucket despite how badly I would like to have one.

That may be true but you haven't won the lottery so you are basing this on your current financial situation. If you suddenly won $250 million then I would almost guarantee that you would but a $500 piece of plastic.

Patcheslee

I only knew about it because I saw a dfb food blog video about it, but it's a limited edition Figment popcorn bucket (you know, the purple dragon - or is he a dinosaur - I have no idea because I've never ridden that ride). Apparently, people were lined up for it and waiting up to 6 hours in line!! I guess a lot of Ebayers were snatching them up and I also guess that some foolish people were actually buying them from Ebay at high prices.
I didn't know until I saw a posting on Twitter about a badly drawn Figment. Actually ordering a sketchbook version for DD13 lol

Goofnut1980

Someone did an article saying Disney sold 500,000 buckets this weekend. Well I had to think about it and respond. It went like this:

From what we saw, we saw two runs of 299 boxes with 12 buckets in each box. That’s just over 7000 buckets. Not half a million.

In one day. Logistically 500,000 buckets would be 42,000 boxes of buckets. Yes only one guy was bringing 6 boxes out on a cart at a time. So that would have been 7,000 trips to get them to the kiosk.

Average up to 12 boxes per pallet. And 18 pallets fit on a tractor trailer. So we are roughly at 3,500 pallets.

That would mean 190 tractor trailers would have had to deliver them.

I work in logistics and this is simply not possible. When you have Honda paying drivers $200 an hour to deliver cars to dealers because they can’t get drivers. Do you think the cheap disney organization is paying for 290 trucks to deliver in one day.

Cesar R M

Someone did an article saying Disney sold 500,000 buckets this weekend. Well I had to think about it and respond. It went like this:

From what we saw, we saw two runs of 299 boxes with 12 buckets in each box. That’s just over 7000 buckets. Not half a million.

In one day. Logistically 500,000 buckets would be 42,000 boxes of buckets. Yes only one guy was bringing 6 boxes out on a cart at a time. So that would have been 7,000 trips to get them to the kiosk.

Average up to 12 boxes per pallet. And 18 pallets fit on a tractor trailer. So we are roughly at 3,500 pallets.

I work in logistics and this is simply not possible. When you have Honda paying drivers $200 an hour to deliver cars to dealers because they can’t get drivers. Do you think the cheap disney organization is paying for 290 trucks to deliver in one day.
Perhaps the article writer is incorrectly adding the resellers? or is Disney selling these online now?

JoeCamel

Well, if somebody will pay $600 for a bucket, then the bucket is worth $600.

An opinion of what something is worth is completely irrelevant.

Also do keep in mind $600 to one person doesn't cost as much time as $600 to another. If you make $200 an hour, a $600 bucket is quite affordable.
What a conundrum, do I get the overpriced piece of plastic that is going to clutter a storage unit for years to come or get that shiny new NFT??. About the same value for my $600

Maybe they were confused and it was the one day profit of $500,000 not the number of items ;)

Lilofan

Walt's quote of " It's fun to do the impossible " rings true but perhaps not at 500K buckets sold.

jloucks

Sacristy usually makes something valuable in the future---- Disney keeps selling these figment buckets the value will go down. I don't see these being valuable 10 -15 years from now.
There is something to be said for understanding this. Many of the folks do. I could argue everyone immediately selling the buckets do. (as opposed to waiting for their value to increase.

Cabbage patch kids did this (as well as about a gazillion other things over the years), the smart folks immediately sold at a profit knowing it was a temporary boon.

Last edited:

jloucks

And yet, I'll bet we have told people a million times never to exaggerate!
Isee.jpeg

eliza61nyc

Have you looked at the stock market lately?
What?? It's been down this month but definitely not an indicator. I'm pretty conservative due to my age and last year was definitely a good year. The 3 major indices were up between 18-26%. Hey that's a decent trip to Disney.

Goofnut1980

The report I heard was that the real number was about 35,000. That's coming from a YouTuber who talked to a cast member about it. So, take it with a couple of grains of salt.
I laugh because everyone has a diff number. I want to play devils advocate for fun. Please take no offense. I just want to think about this.

Even 35,000 buckets is about 3,000 boxes of buckets, which is still around 14 truckloads of buckets. I feel that is a high number when merch is still scarce elsewhere on property. Doubt they would prioritize shipment on a $25 bucket.

Then if we say it was 2 CMs non stop getting boxes (and many pics only showed one person bringing them).. 6 boxes per cart, so that is 12 per load. I would average 10 mins round trip to and from backstage. That would be 250 trips over the course of 3 days... Lets say its 80 trips per day (which is 800 minutes)- that would be 13 hours of non stop getting buckets from the back by two people with 12 boxes each time.

Still seems high to me.

celluloid

Sacristy usually makes something valuable in the future---- Disney keeps selling these figment buckets the value will go down. I don't see these being valuable 10 -15 years from now.

Also the value in the nostalgia of remembering what Figment was from people willing to pay it. That aspect is dwindling as the original EPCOT fanbase thins out.

The lackluster ride it has been since changes and not endearing many new fans as it ages terribly is not going to help gain new fandom.

Pardonmyfrench

Ignoring the popcorn bucket craze themselves, does anyone know if Figment is part of the "new EPCOT". The last time I went on it, it was a hot day and really enjoyed the short wait in the AC and it occurred to use, that the ride really could use a refurbishment and an upgrade. I do think imagination is a timeless message for Disney.

thanks!

Goofyernmost

What?? It's been down this month but definitely not an indicator. I'm pretty conservative due to my age and last year was definitely a good year. The 3 major indices were up between 18-26%. Hey that's a decent trip to Disney.
I've seen nothing but downward of the Dow for the last week and a half. I don't have much in the market except my retirement account and that is all that I am watching, penny for penny. I'm not worried about it, it is just adjusting perhaps.

Yes, I will admit that 2021 was a good year for those of us with a market connection. Even for someone with limited funds working for me had enough gain from last year for a better than decent trip to Disney if only I thought it was worth it. I'm not complaining or in a panic, I'm just saying that this year is not last year and although not a total indicator, it is off to a very bad start.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom