Figment bucket craze, if this doesn’t tell them something I don’t know what will

Disstevefan1

Some will pay with money is no object mindset. Recently Elvis Presley's barber Homer Gilleland clump of hair in a jar he had been collecting was sold at auction. The winning bid was $72,500 and the fan now owns the King's hair.
I wonder if you can get DNA from the hair and make a clone of Elvis?
Then I wonder if the new Elvis 2.0 will have the same musical potential?
This would be an excellent test of Genetics VS Environment 😀

DoleWhipDrea

I generally stay away from threads like this, but this is a Disney World fan site, so I will share my fan experience and hopefully provide another perspective as opposed to the "Oh look, that person is nuts," or "It's just all re-sellers."

I went on launch day. I have an AP. I know very well that if Disney shows merchandise that looks interesting to me and will drop on a specific day, I have to come that day, or I might not get it at all, because that's how it unfortunately works. I hate it, but I've missed out on things before, I'm a huge fan of Figment, and I had some Disney gift cards that I had from Christmas. I've never purchased a popcorn bucket - I only wanted it because it's Figment.

I got in line at 10:40 am, and the park had opened at 10. I figured that this would be fine - I had come for the Spaceship Earth merchandise drop last year around that time, and I was able to get what I wanted. It took my husband and I a little bit to just find the end of the line, as it was looped around quite a ways. I found out soon after that Disney had allowed people to queue for the bucket starting at 9 am, which, you know, would have been helpful to know about ahead of time, but it is what it is.

Around 11 the line was at a standstill for a long period. I heard that there were only 3 CMs working the booth. No one told us how long the expected wait would be. We didn't really move at all until over an hour later, and we'd barely move at all. The line didn't pick up the pace until after 1 pm. Thankfully we were standing next to some interesting people who were also fans of Figment, and I actually made new friends! There were a lot of people in line that loved Figment, many wearing Figment shirts, ears, or bounding as the character. A camaraderie was formed, and yes, while we'd have many people make snide remarks as they would look at us in line, we'd have even more ask what we were waiting for. The few that thought they were clever and ask that if we were really waiting that long for popcorn, we'd come back with, "Actually, tomato soup!" "Really?" "Yes, the best tomato soup in the world!"

Once you've waited an hour or so, convincing yourself to leave the line seems worthless. I had a lot of fun just talking to people that were also fans of Figment and the parks, and we had some really interesting discussions. And after having been cooped up at home for so long, it was really nice, and it made the time go by.

By the time we exited with our SINGLE Figment bucket (I dislike the re-seller game, but understand the temptation after waiting as long as we did), and grabbing a few other items from POP Eats, we'd waited just under 6 hours. Is that a ridiculous time to wait? Yes. Do I regret the experience? No. I still had a lot of fun at EPCOT, I still got to see and experience a few fun things from the festival, and I got to meet some cool people. We'll be going back to experience more because we have APs soon.

Roll your eyes if you want. We're all weirdos and all do our own eccentric things. Let people enjoy things.

J_Carioca

Heck , even with some of the theme park store shelves at times bare, even regular merchandise bought can be attempted to be resold on eBay and some will sell. The resale market has always been a lucrative market for some including me. Back in day I used to stand out in line buying up playoff tickets or concert tickets knowing it would be sold out events and reselling them to willing buyers.
I think that's called scalping?

RoadiJeff

The GM lounge ? Nice! For the ones who splurge the somewhat secretive Club 33 which is on the top floor of American Adventure has $33K initiation fees and $16K annual dues for members only. Food and drink and park tickets not included.
No drinks? Wow, they at least give us free drinks in the GM lounge. It's a nice place to hang out and cool down for a bit on a warm summer day, away from the crowds. A few other perks up there, too.

Trackmaster

People who are buying it for their love of the character or to add a limited item for their Disney collection arent doing it to show how cultured they are or impress others for the kind of life they lead. They are interested in a unique item and its worth it to them to be waiting it out for hours to buy one. For those looking to resell, its purely a time vs return of money and to them its showing to be very marketable and profitable. No one has ever looked at anything in my Disney room and judged me for what I enjoy collecting. As I dont judge them for the different things they spend money on and collect. It does spark many interesting conversations because I have so many unique items not everyone has or has seen.
With the many Disney fans in the parks and locals looking to buy, with varied tastes, Disney knows they will find enough buyers to sell out on just about anything they put out in limited numbers.

I think that this case is a little different. With social media and how big of a story this is, everybody knows that you're caught dead with this hunk of plastic, you're an idiot who waited in line for 7 hours for it. Or even worse, you supported the secondary market that made it impossible for regular people to get it.

I do have a few friends who got them through direct park or media connections, but I'd endlessly heckle a friend who actually paid more than $25 or waited in a line for 1+ hour for it.

For some background, I'm a theme park nut, and almost all of my friends are theme park nuts or in the theme park industry, and we're on park news like most people are on top of regular person news.

tpoly88

Fortunately I think Figgy is not going away soon. Just look at the ridiculousness of the buckets. I see more than one parent of kids who are dying for one willing to wait or pay through the nose. Disney markets well and they know it... sure this Imagination isn't as good as the original but they realized quick what that little dragon does to people.
Wish they’d start over and make it meet the Robinson’s! It would hold with the imagination of the future

Midlife Mouse

I do have a few friends who got them through direct park or media connections, but I'd endlessly heckle a friend who actually paid more than $25 or waited in a line for 1+ hour for it.
Clearly there were some scalpers on there snagging them up for resale, or they wouldn't be showing up on eBay. Personally, I can't imagine the ROI for waiting in line that long would be enough to entice me to wait for it just to have one or two to sell. Getting enough to make it worthwhile would require a fairly coordinated effort with many people queueing up to get them for you.

From watching livestreams on the day, it seemed like most people in line were just avid fans who either A. Love Figment or B. Had some sense that this was going to be a hot collectible to have. Sure, they might keep one and sell the other, but that's far from running a reseller business.

I generally stay away from threads like this, but this is a Disney World fan site, so I will share my fan experience and hopefully provide another perspective as opposed to the "Oh look, that person is nuts," or "It's just all re-sellers."

I went on launch day. I have an AP. I know very well that if Disney shows merchandise that looks interesting to me and will drop on a specific day, I have to come that day, or I might not get it at all, because that's how it unfortunately works. I hate it, but I've missed out on things before, I'm a huge fan of Figment, and I had some Disney gift cards that I had from Christmas. I've never purchased a popcorn bucket - I only wanted it because it's Figment.

I got in line at 10:40 am, and the park had opened at 10. I figured that this would be fine - I had come for the Spaceship Earth merchandise drop last year around that time, and I was able to get what I wanted. It took my husband and I a little bit to just find the end of the line, as it was looped around quite a ways. I found out soon after that Disney had allowed people to queue for the bucket starting at 9 am, which, you know, would have been helpful to know about ahead of time, but it is what it is.

Around 11 the line was at a standstill for a long period. I heard that there were only 3 CMs working the booth. No one told us how long the expected wait would be. We didn't really move at all until over an hour later, and we'd barely move at all. The line didn't pick up the pace until after 1 pm. Thankfully we were standing next to some interesting people who were also fans of Figment, and I actually made new friends! There were a lot of people in line that loved Figment, many wearing Figment shirts, ears, or bounding as the character. A camaraderie was formed, and yes, while we'd have many people make snide remarks as they would look at us in line, we'd have even more ask what we were waiting for. The few that thought they were clever and ask that if we were really waiting that long for popcorn, we'd come back with, "Actually, tomato soup!" "Really?" "Yes, the best tomato soup in the world!"

Once you've waited an hour or so, convincing yourself to leave the line seems worthless. I had a lot of fun just talking to people that were also fans of Figment and the parks, and we had some really interesting discussions. And after having been cooped up at home for so long, it was really nice, and it made the time go by.

By the time we exited with our SINGLE Figment bucket (I dislike the re-seller game, but understand the temptation after waiting as long as we did), and grabbing a few other items from POP Eats, we'd waited just under 6 hours. Is that a ridiculous time to wait? Yes. Do I regret the experience? No. I still had a lot of fun at EPCOT, I still got to see and experience a few fun things from the festival, and I got to meet some cool people. We'll be going back to experience more because we have APs soon.

Roll your eyes if you want. We're all weirdos and all do our own eccentric things. Let people enjoy things.
I completely agree. Do what makes YOU happy. Who care what anyone else thinks. On May 11, 2017, I staked my spot in the hub at 11:45AM for the final Wishes. Sat in the same spot for 9+ hours to see a 10 min fireworks show. Don’t regret a single minute of it!

Cesar R M

Chapek's *** dream?
Rides lines keep people out of the stores, for this he can open more lines to move merch faster but the PR of long lines is marketing manipulation so better to have a stream of wallets lined up vs bored people waiting in a line.
But the more bored/angry people in line means more money for Genie LL!

Cesar R M

ABSOLUTE SUCCESS!!!
1642612736478.png

jloucks

Well, if somebody will pay $600 for a bucket, then the bucket is worth $600.

An opinion of what something is worth is completely irrelevant.

Also do keep in mind $600 to one person doesn't cost as much time as $600 to another. If you make $200 an hour, a $600 bucket is quite affordable.

G00fyDad

Also do keep in mind $600 to one person doesn't cost as much time as $600 to another. If you make $200 an hour, a $600 bucket is quite affordable.
I think this has more to do with how a person is raised than how much disposable income they have. If I won the lottery I wouldn't pay this much for that bucket despite how badly I would like to have one. However, someone raised with money and with no sense of responsible spending wouldn't bat an eye at dropping $600 for one of these.

Midlife Mouse

The same goes for the opportunity cost of acquiring it. Giving up a day of your time for a potential $550 profit is simply not worth it for many people. That's why I'm skeptical about the "It's all resellers" argument.

Last edited:

jloucks

I think this has more to do with how a person is raised than how much disposable income they have. If I won the lottery I wouldn't pay this much for that bucket despite how badly I would like to have one. However, someone raised with money and with no sense of responsible spending wouldn't bat an eye at dropping $600 for one of these.
Yea, motivation for purchases gets weird for luxury goods.

Take fine art for example. Your argument makes sense there too. Personally, I would never spend $2,000,000 on a painting, but that is because I(we?) still tie money to time.

When you earn the money, it has way more meaning to you than if you simply skim the money off non-labor sources.

Add to that prestige factors (fine art is prone to this one), and you have wonky demand drivers that are hard to comprehend for people that earn all of their money.

jloucks

The same goes for the opportunity cost of acquiring it. Giving up a day of you time for a potential $550 profit is simply not worth it for many people. That's why I'm skeptical about the "It's all resellers" argument.
It amazes me how many folks don't understand opportunity cost.

Should be one of those required courses. :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom