DisneyWorld Proposals

SonicKryptonite

Original Poster
Hello, so I have a bit of a doozy of a question to ask -

My partner and I are supposed to go to DisneyWorld this April (1st to 17th), her 29th birthday happens to fall on the 2nd and I was thinking of proposing to her then. We've been together for just over 5 years now, and we have discussed what she does and doesn't like. The main through line is although she wants effort put into it and wants it to be special, what she DOESN'T want is it to be in front of a large crowd as she hates being the centre of attention in that sense (so no Disney Castle/restaurant proposals or anything with a lot of eyes looking at her).

I've tried phoning customer services up but they weren't able to help as much as I would have liked (kept suggesting the Rivera Resort Restaurant or C*li Grill which seems overplayed anyway?) and because we are from the UK there aren't too many numbers I can phone to ask around (I've tried the Fairy Tale email and I got a generic response saying they are only dealing with weddings and renewal requests at the moment...).

The main option I've come back to is the carriage rides you can do at the Port Orleans Riverside Resort and the Fort Wilderness Resort. I wanted to know if anyone would recommend them and if so if you know of a romantic spot/part in particular where I can pop the question?

I'm also open to suggestions for both DisneyWorld and the main Orlando area - the plan would have been: get up - shopping (maybe the mall or Disney Springs as she loves doing that sort of stuff) - a small lunch - maybe more shopping (we always try to do all the shopping at the front half of our trips) - then whatever the romantic thing I had planned/pop the question (this would be around 3pm to 4:30pm-ish) - dinner etc.

Any suggestions would be amazing! Also any additional suggestions for photographers to capture the moment/any other extras I can plan in advance would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR? - I want to propose to girlfriend while at Disney/Orlando, she hates crowds/being the centre of attention, we are from the UK so we are limited to who to contact via phones etc. only viable option is carriage ride at one of the two hotels, but open to ideas!

JIMINYCR

She doesnt like crowds so heres a suggestion. And you can be in Magic Kingdom as well. On the right side passing by Cinderellas Castle walking towards Tomorrowland there is a small path on the left leading to Cinderellas Wishing Well. The well and benches are in a small cut out. The pathway is isolated from crowds and not busy travelled. You could arrange for a photographer to meet you there at a time thats convenient for you. The Wishing Well also has a nice view of the side of the Castle for photos.

eliza61nyc

Personally I would skip the parks. I'm like your girlfriend, I don't like being the center of attention. lol heck, I don't even like it when the servers at a restaurant sing the cheesy happy birthday song to me. ;) but if you want to do a park one of my all time romantic spots is in World showcase in Epcot. if you are in France and walk over the bridge to England, toward the back entrance on your right hand side is a little nook where folks will go done and watch the night time show. so pretty and romantic

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Does she have a favorite spot in the parks? I would suggest maybe eating at her favorite restaurant and then going to her favorite place in the parks or wherever her favorite spot it on property and proposing then. You could also have a nice walk along the Boardwalk at night or on the path between the Grand Floridian when the fireworks from MK or Epcot are going off and propose then, you'd have the romance of nighttime and fireworks without a lot of crowds.

correcaminos

If she wants pretty private but still with a Disney backdrop, how about a fireworks cruise?

If she doesn't like crowds I would skip most park places as well as even restaurants as to me, those are pretty public. I bet the captain would even be willing to snag a few photos of you proposing.

Raxel7851

Not to be a party pooper, but we were at POFQ I at Christmas and the carriage rides were not available. Not sure about FW, but if that’s something you’d like to do, I would try to find out if they will be operating when you’re there.

MaryJaneP

Some additional options to consider. Path behind Tomorrowland to train station if it must be in MK. Tom Sawyer Island also may be sparsely occupied. Her favorite park undoubtedly has a few "less populated" areas. Disney Springs or Skyway may have less attended spots that could serve the purpose. Finally, completely off-property while still having WDW in background, like in a balloon basket or in a helicopter (if budget permits).

Last edited:

SplashJacket

What about a quiet spot on the Poly beach?
I watched Enchantment on January 2nd on Polynesian's Beach. The main beach area was packed, but the area closest to TTC to the right of the Cabanas was absolutely deserted. We were the only people there. It's right here.
Inkedb60bc34123008d8f145cbbd6930f2339_LI.jpg

Alternatively, I know you already mentioned it, but California Grill has an exterior balcony overlooking Magic Kingdom that could work for a more peaceful/quiet proposal, before, during, or after the fireworks.

The fireworks cruise idea also works great.

The Yacht and Beach club waterfront is also gorgeous and not crowded. It's right next to the uber fancy Monsieur Paul, so that could be a pre-meal spot.

Another uber fancy restaurant is Victoria & Albert's which could also be good for a pre-proposal meal.

Club Cooloholic

I kind of like making a spot in the parks YOUR spot. Something unique and special to you. To be honest wherever you decide to do this will become that spot. If you go the ring in the drink route Olga's Cantina might be a good spot as it can't really support too much of a crowd.

Qscout

My suggestion would be to not overly plan. It could be difficult to get all the planets to align and the perfect moment to happen.

Have the day you want to propose set, and as you go through the day, look out for quiet spots and moments and catch her by surprise. There are quiet areas that can be found! Also since your girlfriend won't know your plan, she won't know if it went to plan anyway.

Aboard the river cruise in frontierland, if you are on an upper deck, as the boat comes in to dock, everyone flocks to the lower deck to get off. If you stay on the upper deck as long as possible it would be quiet. Perhaps a quick chat with a staff member as you wait to board might help as well.

Tom 55

On one of my Disney World trips I was on Main street walking up to the castle when a man in front of me got down on one knee and purposed right there. There was an older couple with them. I assumed they were parents of one of them.

My first Disney World trip was for my honeymoon in 1979.

SplashJacket

My suggestion would be to not overly plan. It could be difficult to get all the planets to align and the perfect moment to happen.

Have the day you want to propose set, and as you go through the day, look out for quiet spots and moments and catch her by surprise. There are quiet areas that can be found! Also since your girlfriend won't know your plan, she won't know if it went to plan anyway.

Aboard the river cruise in frontierland, if you are on an upper deck, as the boat comes in to dock, everyone flocks to the lower deck to get off. If you stay on the upper deck as long as possible it would be quiet. Perhaps a quick chat with a staff member as you wait to board might help as well.
I really like the liberty bell idea!

Eric Graham

Since you are both from the UK why not Windsor Castle. It is so beautiful there. We have done the carriage ride at Port Orleans and it is romantic and relaxing. Is there a special place at Disney that you both have a place in your heart? If so, I would choose that area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom