SPOILERS: ETERNALS Discussion

Slpy3270

I really don't understand why Harry was there, for the same reason I don't understand why Justin Timberlake was cast as King Arthur in Shrek the Third.

JAB

Finally watched it on Disney+, and I enjoyed it. It dealt with philosophical issues in a way that was not ham-fisted. I don't get all the critical hate.

I did find it a little amusing, though, that Richard Madden and Kit Harrington (aka Ned Stark's boys) were both vying for the affection of a character whose name is pronounced the same as "Cersei." 😏

Ghost93

I think the sequel will likely have a more streamlined plot since most of the exposition and backstory for the Eternals is out of the way. The sequel will also benefit from having a smaller cast. A big criticism with Eternals was that there were too many characters. But since Ikaris, Ajak and Gilgamesh died in the first film and since Sprite became a human, our unwieldy team of 10 superheroes suddenly becomes a much more manageable team of six superheros. I suspect the sequel will follow two storylines: Thena, Druig, Makkari and Harry Styles on a rescue mission while Sersi, Kingo, and Phastos try to make a case to Arishem for why humanity should be spared. I think these two storylines will converge in the last third of the sequel.

Jedijax719

I think the sequel will likely have a more streamlined plot since most of the exposition and backstory for the Eternals is out of the way. The sequel will also benefit from having a smaller cast. A big criticism with Eternals was that there were too many characters. But since Ikaris, Ajak and Gilgamesh died in the first film and since Sprite became a human, our unwieldy team of 10 superheroes suddenly becomes a much more manageable team of six superheros. I suspect the sequel will follow two storylines: Thena, Druig, Makkari and Harry Styles on a rescue mission while Sersi, Kingo, and Phastos try to make a case to Arishem for why humanity should be spared. I think these two storylines will converge in the last third of the sequel.
Prime material for a D+ series. I don't think there was any bad or ill feelings against Zhao. Maybe overstuffed plot. I don't think that anyone would remotely be opposed to having Chloe do whatever follow up projects will be done. (it's not like she was accused of completely ruining a franchise the way a certain other director I shall not name was accused of ruining a certain other Disney-owned massive franchise-ehem-).

I think the overall consensus would be that fans want to see Chloe have another chance at it and do it a bit differently with some adjustments. And if so, it would probably be massively popular and well-received. That seems to be the overwhelming mindset of the MCU fans. That's exactly why movies have come back after a meh-reception and knocked it out of the park. Credit to Feige for giving support, being a leader, and having a strong vision.

erasure fan1

But since Ikaris, Ajak and Gilgamesh died in the first film and since Sprite became a human, our unwieldy team of 10 superheroes suddenly becomes a much more manageable team of six superheros.
Welllllllll, maybe not. The movie version of these characters are "advanced robots... from space" so really they could be remade and the memories redownloaded. Since they are all backed up. I definitely could see Ikaris coming back.

I watched this last night. I'm not really sure what to think of it. I didn't hate it. But at the same time, I really had no connection to it when it finished. I believe it was a mistake to make this movie without introducing the characters in other films or a D+ series first. If I had to rank it now, It's in the bottom few movies for me.

Jedijax719

Finally saw the movie last night. Lots to unpack and say about it. Overall, it was a decent movie with an interesting plot. However, I can TOTALLY understand why it did not get good reviews.

It really needed a series on D+ or to focus on fewer characters. But that isn't even the main issue. The sequencing of scenes, pacing, editing, and build ups were ALL EXTREMELY problematic. The action scenes didn't have any build up or tension leading to them at all. There was NO music to accompany the slower parts (or even most of the faster parts) and thus there was no tension created. Little things like the way they started the movie (should have opened in the ancient fishing village) took some of the air out of the tires. The first 15-30 minutes were erratic and moved too fast. Then it slowed down too much without the magic "ticking clock" that actions movies must have. They probably needed to edit it a couple more times.

The best way I can describe it is that it felt like pieces of several episodes of a TV series strung along so that you only see snippets that each felt like "last time on the Eternals" previews strung together without fleshing out any of the sequences. The credit scenes meant nothing to me because I don't know a thing about the characters. And it is hard to imagine how this can link with any other MCU film. I DO think that Chloe Zhao deserves another shot, but I think that shot really needs to be a D+ series. If they can follow up this movie with a series, I think it would be FANTASTIC and they can take their time.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Finally watched it last night on Disney+.

And now I never need to do so again. :p

Should've been a Disney+ series. Then send Black Knight off to play with Blade and Starfox off to play with the Guardians and/or Thor (because Taika Waititi could do gloriously ridiculous things with that character, but really more suited to Gunn's sensibilities).

I would've agreed seeing Starfox with Captain Marvel would've been highly entertaining to see uptight and likely unaffected/unattracted Carol dealing with Starfox's power - however, since they're including Kamala, who is a kid, in The Marvels, it would make it not appropriate when she is around - though she'd probably write some... interesting fanfic about him if she did meet him lol... and then would promptly be sent out of the room so the adults could deal with him. So yeah, no.

mf1972

unthought it had an interesting start, then it just dragged before finally picking up again in the last 30 or so minutes. felt like there were just too many characters to focus on, & after awhile the deviants seemed pointless. visually, it was impressive. i hope they do a better job for the sequel.

sedati

Finally watched and agree this may have made for a better series. It definitely sits in that awkward spot where there needed to be either more or less. Still, I enjoyed it. Started off clunky, but I warmed up to it and was never bored.
- Some incredible art design, wish they pushed it even further.
- Some of the best creature designs in recent memory- really a whole new mold when I thought everything had been done by now. I felt the same with the spaceships in Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Great sense of scale in the finale.

But also, why do all Marvel movies have shots that just seem unfinished. Oddly, they tend to be for simple things. In this case it was just when they went to the volcano at the end. Suddenly the compositing seemed off just like with a few shots in Black Widow. I get that they do reshoots and deadlines can be hard to hit, but at least fix it for the home releases (certainly Black Panther made enough for a bump-up for VFX)

Would happily watch more with these characters or Zhou, and I honestly hope those that seem out of the game could come back as well. Not my favorite, but Marvel is still mixing it up as they quickly approach 30 films and that alone is impressive.

Last edited:

Jedijax719

The plot concepts were very interesting for sure. But something confuses me. If the Eternals WERE allowed to interfere with human conflict, wouldn't that ensure that the planet would reach maximum capacity earlier, causing the Tiamut to be able to be born sooner? Wouldn't it actually benefit the Celestials to have the Eternals help resolve conflict, pandemics, disasters, etc?

Anyway, just a little plot nitpick. I, too, really want to see a series that either takes place WAY before this or right after this. Or, why not both? 99% of the complaints centered around too much for one movie. Almost everyone says this would have made a good series. Feige is NOT one to blow off fans and truly listens. People want Zhao to succeed. Nobody is crying that their childhood was stolen just because one movie wasn't the greatest thing. Thus, I think that in about a year, we are going to hear of an Eternals TV series for D+. Just a matter of getting the players on board. Then, when it happens, people are going to cheer loudly. I wouldn't be surprised if it were to come in 2024.

Last edited:

JAB

The plot concepts were very interesting for sure. But something confuses me. If the Eternals WERE allowed to interfere with human conflict, wouldn't that ensure that the planet would reach maximum capacity earlier, causing the Tiamut to be able to be born sooner? Wouldn't it actually benefit the Celestials to have the Eternals help resolve conflict, pandemics, disasters, etc?
The movie does address this issue when they go to Phastos's house. He says he asked himself that very question, and came to the realization that the reason that they were forbidden from interfering in conflict was that, ironically, war actually drives technological and medical advancements which allow more people to survive and allows the population to grow faster.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
A *possible* reason to not interfere is that conflict unfortunately does spark growth and innovation and thus, the necessary desire to be best and to overwhelm opponents.

A humanity governed by the Eternals might have created a docile humanity that never generated the collective desire to over-achieve, which is what powers the incubation of the Celestial egg. You need a stubbornly free-thinking and competitive milieu to feed the baby.

Edit: Also, what @JAB said. :)

Ghost93

I suspect Dane will appear in Mahersala Ali's Blade movie that will come out in 2023.

Last week, Marvel trademarked "Celestials: End of Time." Maybe that will be the name of the Eternals sequel? I know the first Eternals movie had a mixed reception, but here has to be some follow-up on the gigantic Celestial cliffhanger at the end of Eternals. I wonder if the Celestials will play a role in either Avengers: Kang Dynasty or Avengers: Secret Wars.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I suspect Dane will appear in Mahersala Ali's Blade movie that will come out in 2023.

Last week, Marvel trademarked "Celestials: End of Time." Maybe that will be the name of the Eternals sequel? I know the first Eternals movie had a mixed reception, but here has to be some follow-up on the gigantic Celestial cliffhanger at the end of Eternals. I wonder if the Celestials will play a role in either Avengers: Kang Dynasty or Avengers: Secret Wars.
Sounds like one of the Phase 6 release dates that don't have confirmed movies tie to them yet. D23 should fill those out and hopefully this is one of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom