News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

ImperfectPixie

A new lights of winter (done by the entry team, no other Epcot teams) would be amazing given today's LED technology.
I think people (including Disney) tend to be way too heavy-handed with their use of LEDs. For holiday lights, I want twinkles...not glaringly bright techno lights set to music. Yes, I think the LEDs added to SSE are misused most of the time.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think people (including Disney) tend to be way too heavy-handed with their use of LEDs. For holiday lights, I want twinkles...not glaringly bright techno lights set to music. Yes, I think the LEDs added to SSE are misused most of the time.
Totally agree. They are best when used as “points of light” to enhance the texture of SSE along with spotlights. The full-blast LED lighting is ridiculously obnoxious, to put it mildly and in family-friendly words.

Not the greatest picture, but it shows what I’m talking about:
7F8ACD31-83DC-4E76-A2A1-2EF5FF6802C8.jpeg

Epcot82Guy

Totally agree. They are best when used as “points of light” to enhance the texture of SSE along with spotlights. The full-blast LED lighting is ridiculously obnoxious, to put it mildly and in family-friendly words.

View attachment 603670
I enjoy both. But the "blast" should be used minimally, knowing it's impact. Much like the finale white fireworks in I:ROE. They are like bright flood lights. When used sparingly, a huge impact (especially with music). When overused, a bit (or a lot) garish.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I enjoy both. But the "blast" should be used minimally, knowing it's impact. Much like the finale white fireworks in I:ROE. They are like bright flood lights. When used sparingly, a huge impact (especially with music). When overused, a bit (or a lot) garish.
The full-power LED mode reminds me of a huge billboard, or an amateur Christmas display. It completely blocks out the texture of the exterior. I’m not a fan of it at all. And from what I observed last week, they use full-power mode a lot. Big fail by WDI. Whoever designed/approved this apparently did not ponder the question, “We know we can do this, but should we do this?”

ImperfectPixie

The full-power LED mode reminds me of a huge billboard, or an amateur Christmas display. It completely blocks out the texture of the exterior. I’m not a fan of it at all. And from what I observed last week, they use full-power mode a lot. Big fail by WDI. Whoever designed/approved this apparently did not ponder the question, “We know we can do this, but should we do this?”
That's a question I don't think get asked very much by anyone who works behind the scenes at Disney lately.

Epcot82Guy

I agree with you both entirely. It's a cousin to showing all of Harm's tricks in the first 5 minutes. Ironically, it's one of the first keys to good story telling. Varied tone and saving your climax. It would be nice to see Disney be good at that again... Someday... (when we are wiser... When imagineering stops driving away everyone who is older... When they have learned...)

Cmdr_Crimson

We got footage of the light tester before the premier..
chevy-chase-christmas-vacation.gif

Cmdr_Crimson

View attachment 603670
I'm okay with this...And let's be honest It's much better than an odd arm growth with a wand smacking it in the head to make sparkly stars on top of it and overstay it's welcome...Because we could have still had it..And thank the maker we don't.

cca9e061b66fc767319afc01e851edf4--the-wand-epcot.jpg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm okay with this...And let's be honest It's much better than an odd arm growth with a wand smacking it in the head to make sparkly stars on top of it and overstay it's welcome...Because we could have still had it..And thank the maker we don't.

cca9e061b66fc767319afc01e851edf4--the-wand-epcot.jpg

I understand where you’re coming from there. The lights can be turned off/down, whereas the wand was around far longer than it should have been and couldn’t be hidden. Still not a fan of full-power mode, they need to tone it down.

ImperfectPixie

I understand where you’re coming from there. The lights can be turned off/down, whereas the wand was around far longer than it should have been and couldn’t be hidden. Still not a fan of full-power mode, they need to tone it down.
Me too. The more I see the lights on full-blast, the more it looks like a flat surface made to look round by spacing the lights differently.

mightynine

Rainbow-Tunnel.jpg

If only they had a character that's already part of the park and indeed the current festival that's long been associated with rainbows who has a theme song they could pair with this effect rather than shoving in using the Muppets.

Why, it could even fit into an anniversary theme, if there is a current one going on.

Perhaps the Epcot history books are already packed up in the U-Haul for the cross country move.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom