Mask Mandate: Baby turns 2 on the last day of our visit...

Swyftfingers

Original Poster
This has probably been covered, but will we run into much trouble with this? Little one is kind of tall & advanced for her age. Already knows her ABC's, 123's etc. Most people see her and guess she's almost 3. She's turning 2 on January 10th, the last day of our visit. Our baby will not tolerate a mask. Will WDW demand she wears one indoors, on her birthday? Hoping this policy is a bit relaxed, especially on her birthday...

Swyftfingers

Original Poster
Planning on taking a picture of her birth certificate and having it on our phones. We *think* it's pretty likely someone will ask, and it might be nice to have proof handy, just in case...

Brian

This has probably been covered, but will we run into much trouble with this? Little one is kind of tall & advanced for her age. Already knows her ABC's, 123's etc. Most people see her and guess she's almost 3. She's turning 2 on January 10th, the last day of our visit. Our baby will not tolerate a mask. Will WDW demand she wears one indoors, on her birthday? Hoping this policy is a bit relaxed, especially on her birthday...
They're not asking for verification of her age. Just say she's still one.

arich35

No you will be fine. My kid was 2 by not even 2 months when we went in May and we were asked her age maybe 3 times all before entering, we told no she turns to in a month and nobody batted an eye

PuertoRekinSam

They're not asking for verification of her age. Just say she's still one.
You should never lie to them. It just reflects badly on you as a person…
Instead answer with a truth where they will likely not ask follow up questions.
Say “she will be two next month.” This is a truth. Next month she will be two… she just happens to also be two this month.
Note… do not say she will be turning two next month since that is the lie.
:)

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

Disney’s policy on most things is you’re the same age for your whole vacation.

Swyftfingers

Original Poster
Just an update - Our little one was wearing a "It's my 2 year birthday today" shirt. We got kicked out of the Muppets 3D theater. I wasn't being totally vigilant about it because everyone so far was pleasant and saying Happy Birthday. The guy at intake asked, "How old is she?" I told him, "Today's her second birthday!" He replied, "She needs to wear a mask". I asked to speak to a manager who was standing right behind him - She reiterated it was to comply with CDC guidelines - In the same breath they were asking everyone to fill in all the empty space in the room to pack in as many people as possible into the theater. Just ridiculous...We came back a few hours later and they were gone and no one gave us any trouble. Just a heads up for everyone - Daughter was disappointed, and so were we. We will re-evaluate coming back for a while after this experience.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
No you will be fine. My kid was 2 by not even 2 months when we went in May and we were asked her age maybe 3 times all before entering, we told no she turns to in a month and nobody batted an eye

You should never lie to them. It just reflects badly on you as a person…
Instead answer with a truth where they will likely not ask follow up questions.
Say “she will be two next month.” This is a truth. Next month she will be two… she just happens to also be two this month.
Note… do not say she will be turning two next month since that is the lie.
:)
Just an update - Our little one was wearing a "It's my 2 year birthday today" shirt. We got kicked out of the Muppets 3D theater. I wasn't being totally vigilant about it because everyone so far was pleasant and saying Happy Birthday. The guy at intake asked, "How old is she?" I told him, "Today's her second birthday!" He replied, "She needs to wear a mask". I asked to speak to a manager who was standing right behind him - She reiterated it was to comply with CDC guidelines - In the same breath they were asking everyone to fill in all the empty space in the room to pack in as many people as possible into the theater. Just ridiculous...We came back a few hours later and they were gone and no one gave us any trouble. Just a heads up for everyone - Daughter was disappointed, and so were we. We will re-evaluate coming back for a while after this experience.

I hope none of you is a lawyer, cop, or judge.

drizgirl

Oh come on now. You were concerned about the mask issue and you had her in a birthday shirt? This one is on you. :cautious:

Weather_Lady

Putting aside whether federal guidelines required mask-wearing in this case, Disney is a privately-owned business, and they get to make the rules about what manner of dress is allowed or prohibited in their parks (so long as they're not running afoul of existing laws, none of which apply here). They can require you to wear a shirt, shoes, Mouse ears, masks, whatever. They can also enforce their rules differently, and decide, for example, that masks must be worn the moment a child turns 2, while at the same time, you don't need to buy a ticket for a 2-year-old who happens to turn 3 during their visit.

OP, I understand that this issue was a grey area about which you sought advice ahead of time, and that you didn't go into this intending to break the rules. However, you deliberately forced the issue by announcing your daughter's age, and then got called on it. The best thing you could have done was to model appropriate grownup behavior for your daughter, by accepting the rules with grace once they were clarified for you, and following them. Unfortunately, it sounds like all you did was to throw a tantrum, and then come back later to repeat the same bad behavior again, like... well, a 2-year-old.

Last edited:

Swyftfingers

Original Poster
Putting aside whether federal guidelines required mask-wearing in this case, Disney is a privately-owned business, and they get to make the rules about what manner of dress is allowed or prohibited in their parks (so long as they're not running afoul of existing laws, none of which apply here). They can require you to wear a shirt, shoes, Mouse ears, masks, whatever. They can also enforce their rules differently, and decide, for example, that masks must be worn the moment a child turns 2, while at the same time, you don't need to buy a ticket for a 2-year-old who happens to turn 3 during their visit.

OP, I understand that this issue was a grey area about which you sought advice ahead of time, and that you didn't go into this intending to break the rules. However, you deliberately forced the issue by announcing your daughter's age, and then got called on it. The best thing you could have done was to model appropriate grownup behavior for your daughter, by accepting the rules with grace once they were clarified for you, and following them. Unfortunately, it sounds like all you did was to throw a tantrum, and then come back later to repeat the same bad behavior again, like... well, a 2-year-old.
Were you there? What tipped you off on the idea that there was a tantrum or anything other than grownup behavior? I think it's a perfectly good example of when to call for a manager's attention. As you admitted, it is a grey area - they don't enforce the 2 year old ticketing model, but they selectively enforce the 2 year old mask policy. I simply expressed my disgust with their policy and we walked away. It's their business, we'll let them run it how they see fit. I will simply take my business where I see fit.

Not sure why you're being antagonistic and patronizing about this - I'm just sharing my experience so others can avoid a similar outcome.

Hope you have a magical day! 😆

Chi84

Premium Member
Were you there? What tipped you off on the idea that there was a tantrum or anything other than grownup behavior? I think it's a perfectly good example of when to call for a manager's attention. As you admitted, it is a grey area - they don't enforce the 2 year old ticketing model, but they selectively enforce the 2 year old mask policy. I simply expressed my disgust with their policy and we walked away. It's their business, we'll let them run it how they see fit. I will simply take my business where I see fit.

Not sure why you're being antagonistic and patronizing about this - I'm just sharing my experience so others can avoid a similar outcome.

Hope you have a magical day! 😆
Do you remember the manager’s name by any chance?

Swyftfingers

Original Poster
Do you remember the manager’s name by any chance?
Sadly not - Just that it was a young lady. Wouldn't want anyone losing their job anyway. It's just unfortunate they wouldn't let it slide - It's bad business kicking people out on their birthday. Tbh we were blindsided a bit by their motives. They weren't asking how old she was to wish her a happy birthday, but to enforce their mask policy. Not very becoming of the "Most Magical Place on Earth". We did bring it to the attention of one of the "Guest Experience" folks who got on the radio and came back to us and told us to just lie or cover up her shirt with a jacket or something. If Disney really wanted to be technical, she didn't turn 2 until 10:15pm - but instead of causing a scene or something, we decided to just come back later. I'd like to reiterate - No one cared at all that she had a shirt that said, "Today's my 2nd Birthday" except this one instance. We came back a couple hours later, and walked right in with no problems. It seems it was just an employee on a power-trip. It reminds me of law enforcement to be honest. It's completely up to the discretion of the officer whether to pull you over and ticket you or charge you with any crime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom