News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayla

You are correct. The way children have been sacrificed to 'protect' adults is disgusting. Their education has been stunted to ensure they will not be able to complete in future markets. Depression and addiction is rampant. Let kids go back to their childhood. They are at extremely minimal risk from Covid. If those adults who have bought into the media fear propaganda are fearful for their lives they should stay home and never venture out. Once upon a time adults would sacrifice themselves for their children and grandchildren now it is all them - at the expense of the children.
I certainly hope this is sarcasm.

DisneyCane

Also, Has anyone really taken stock of the cost of all of these disposable N95 masks so many people on this thread are saying are needed now? Try buying a Box of 40 on Amazon, they're going for over $80. Or buy a Box of 10 from a different company online, it said it'll take almost 3 weeks to get here and it's a dollar per mask. How is anybody outside of the decently middle class supposed to afford that. Maybe that should be taken into consideration while people are throwing cloth masks under the bus, and claiming they're completely useless in the face of omicron.
The fact that N95 respirators are not a practical/affordable option for many does not mean that requiring a cloth face coving, which does little if anything to slow the spread of Omicron, makes logical sense.

Purduevian

People are asking how effective cloth masks still are against omicron. As long as they at least provide some amount of benefit isn't it worth it?
Disney is currently requiring masks in indoor settings, of which the only "negatives" I can think of are:
  • Slight discomfort
  • Faces not fully shown in indoor pictures
If peer reviewed scientific studies come out and state that for 100% of the cases cloth masks do absolutely nothing to stop the spread of all current variants in circulation, then yes Disney should remove their mask policy. However, from a risk (slight discomfort/not amazing pictures) vs reward (preventing an unknown number of covid infections) stand point strictly on the current Disney Mask policy, I really struggle to see how anyone can argue that the policy should be eliminated.

There are other debates going on about the closure of schools, vaccine mandates, vaccine passports, ect. However, the risks and rewards of these debates are vastly different from Disney requiring masks indoors.

Incomudro

The fact that N95 respirators are not a practical/affordable option for many does not mean that requiring a cloth face coving, which does little if anything to slow the spread of Omicron, makes logical sense.
I've got to wonder...
Omicron is a more transmissible strain, so more people who come in contact with it - catch it.
Thankfully it's far less sever of an illness for most.
But it's not a smaller or lighter viral particle.
If Omicron is passing through and around cloth and surgical masks, then Delta and every other strain passes through and around masks that aren't N95 too.

Incomudro

People are asking how effective cloth masks still are against omicron. As long as they at least provide some amount of benefit isn't it worth it?
Disney is currently requiring masks in indoor settings, of which the only "negatives" I can think of are:
  • Slight discomfort
  • Faces not fully shown in indoor pictures
If peer reviewed scientific studies come out and state that for 100% of the cases cloth masks do absolutely nothing to stop the spread of all current variants in circulation, then yes Disney should remove their mask policy. However, from a risk (slight discomfort/not amazing pictures) vs reward (preventing an unknown number of covid infections) stand point strictly on the current Disney Mask policy, I really struggle to see how anyone can argue that the policy should be eliminated.

There are other debates going on about the closure of schools, vaccine mandates, vaccine passports, ect. However, the risks and rewards of these debates are vastly different from Disney requiring masks indoors.
But what's "some amount of benefit?"
We can carry a lucky rabbits foot in our pocket and claim it has some amount of benefit.

DisneyCane

I've got to wonder...
Omicron is a more transmissible strain, so more people who come in contact with it - catch it.
If Omicron is passing through and around cloth and surgical masks, then Delta and every other strain passes through and around masks that aren't N95 too.
I think it is more transmissible because the infected have a higher viral load and therefore output more viral particles. Each mask will block some percentage of particles from getting in or out but if you start with a higher viral load there will be more particles getting through no matter the mask.

It seems that with Omicron, for the masks that don't block 95% of the particles, the number getting through is enough to infect somebody in a very short period of time.

With the earlier variants they always said the no mask on either transmission time was 15 minutes. With Omicron that may have gotten lower but so has the required exposure time for each type of mask. With cloth masks, there just may be too many Omicron particles getting through to increase the required exposure time in any significant way.

Last edited:

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I've got to wonder...
This is true but (making up numbers) for Alpha you needed to have 200 particles pass through too have a high chance of catching it. For Delta say 80 and Omicron you only need 5. That is the difference

KrzyKtty

I'm not really saying it does. I was more voicing frustration with the amount of posts I've noticed over the last 2 days basically saying it's N95 or nothing. The posts that were basically making it seem like if you were going outside in anything but an N95, you weren't doing your civic duty. I get that they are the best option, but making those that can't afford to throw down $80 on Amazon feel bad about what they are trying, isn't helpful. Some parents can't afford to keep rebuying disposable masks for their children, so let's not diminish what those families are trying to do for their personal mitigation, just because they decide to put their family in cloth.

Really we should probably be less judgmental all around. Wear whatever sort of mask you can when in the park's since it is required. Follow local ordinance and laws. And other than that....🤷‍♀️

Incomudro

I guess I'm funny that way, wanting to protect my kid from getting covid. Kids under 18 who get covid are more than 2.5 times likely to develop diabetes.

That's just me, though.
How do they know that kids under 18 who catch covid are 2.5 times more likely to develop diabetes?

edit:
Don't bother, I looked it up on the CDC site.

DisneyCane

How do they know that kids under 18 who catch covid are 2.5 times more likely to develop diabetes?

edit:
Don't bother, I looked it up on the CDC site.
From the CDC there is a key word on the page:

"SARS-CoV-2 infection might also induce newly diagnosed diabetes."

It's also possible that kids under 18 who were going be diagnosed with diabetes are 2.5 times more likely to have a symptomatic COVID infection which is tested for. That could lead to the same statistical result.

Vegas Disney Fan

Temporary guidance issued Saturday by the California Department of Health says healthcare workers who test positive or are exposed to COVID-19 may return to work immediately without quarantine or testing if they’re asymptomatic.”

Keep wearing those masks because if you end up in the hospital the staff treating you may be knowingly positive and still working. 🤦🏼‍♂️

This just might be the worst solution to a staffing problem ever.

Ayla

Temporary guidance issued Saturday by the California Department of Health says healthcare workers who test positive or are exposed to COVID-19 may return to work immediately without quarantine or testing if they’re asymptomatic.”

Keep wearing those masks because if you end up in the hospital the staff treating you may be knowingly positive and still working. 🤦🏼‍♂️

This just might be the worst solution to a staffing problem ever.

Unbelievable. :mad:

Purduevian

But what's "some amount of benefit?"
We can carry a lucky rabbits foot in our pocket and claim it has some amount of benefit.
Does it really matter as long as there is a benefit? The "cost" of keeping everyone in a mask at WDW while indoors is incredibly low (not as great photos and an extremely slight discomfort for 15-20 minutes at a time). Even if that decision saves 1 person from dying of covid isn't it worth it?

If someone told me carrying around a lucky rabbits foot in my pocked in 2021 would save 100 people lives, I would have gladly carried it around the entire year. If that same person came to me on new years eve and said if you do it again in 2022 it would save 1 life, I would continue to carry that rabbits foot for the whole year, because it really doesn't effect my day.

I 100% agree that cloth masks are not as effective against omicron as they were delta, but that does NOT mean we should just throw them away because it doesn't work as well as it used to work.

ToTBellHop

Wearing a mask kept you out of the hospital? Please explain.
1642013829242.png

Surely, we can trust JHU.

Incomudro

Does it really matter as long as there is a benefit? The "cost" of keeping everyone in a mask at WDW while indoors is incredibly low (not as great photos and an extremely slight discomfort for 15-20 minutes at a time). Even if that decision saves 1 person from dying of covid isn't it worth it?

If someone told me carrying around a lucky rabbits foot in my pocked in 2021 would save 100 people lives, I would have gladly carried it around the entire year. If that same person came to me on new years eve and said if you do it again in 2022 it would save 1 life, I would continue to carry that rabbits foot for the whole year, because it really doesn't effect my day.

I 100% agree that cloth masks are not as effective against omicron as they were delta, but that does NOT mean we should just throw them away because it doesn't work as well as it used to work.
Yes, it does matter. Degree of benefit matters.
There are a myriad of things that we can do to save lives all across this country.
But we don't do many of them because there is a cost/benefit ratio.
I continuously bring up the cardio vascular issues in this country but few people seem to care about those deaths, and I get chided here every time I mention the subject.
We can make stricter cycling laws, swimming laws, driving regulations...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom