News Disney hikes the price of Mickey Bars and Dole Whip along with hundreds of other food and beverage items at Walt Disney World

DisneyNorthFan

I've never brought in outside food/snacks or dined outside the bubble. But this, on top of all the other nickel & diming, has me changing my plans for the next trip. Still TBD if we'll even stay on site, but we'll definitely be eating a few meals offsite and doing a grocery order. We'll spend less money overall, and less money specifically at Disney. In a weird way, I almost appreciate some of the poor long-term pricing decisions WDW has made. I now have enough reasons to make a change, and feel good about the changes I'm making rather than feeling like I'm missing out. Universal hotel? Possibly, or renting DVC points. 3 Disney park days rather than 7? Definitely. Offsite dining? Absolutely. Genie+? Nope, we'll just come early and stay late on our Disney park days, and have rest/Universal/Discovery Cove days in-between.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
In order to save
If a regular bottle of soda is $5, how much do they charge for those 12oz grenades in Galaxy's Edge now? geez
I wish there were lower price options as well (i.e. less fancy than the regular bottle). For example, $4 for a bottle that has a slow leak and isn’t labeled so you don’t know what soda you’re getting.

prberk

Yes. I am. I have said several times why as well. I am aware that you feel that we should all back off and stop going in order to show Disney a thing or two (or something) but I am going for a very specific reason. If it were not for that specific reason then I would not be going this time. Trust me, it bothers me to even be going again.
You know, I completely understand you. I am not going any time soon. Haven’t been in five years. Used to have an annual pass. But it has gotten ridiculous. But if a special opportunity came up I might do it. Still too sad that it has come to this point, however. It was truly an inspirational place to me in the past. But very hard to justify these days overall.

BuddyThomas

Not that I am defending them, but none of this high pricing is unique to Disney. Last summer, I got charged $12.00 for a 12 ounce beer at Adventureland on Long Island. Broadway shows charge $30.00 for a plastic sippy cup of wine. Ball games, concerts- you’re not getting out of there without depositing half your life’s savings at the concession stand. I mean, I have a feeling that if people can afford an expensive Disney vacation, a few more dimes on a Mickey bar probably won’t break the bank.

Vegas Disney Fan

Not that I am defending them, but none of this high pricing is unique to Disney. Last summer, I got charged $12.00 for a 12 ounce beer at Adventureland on Long Island. Broadway shows charge $30.00 for a plastic sippy cup of wine. Ball games, concerts- you’re not getting out of there without depositing half your life’s savings at the concession stand. I mean, I have a feeling that if people can afford an expensive Disney vacation, a few more dimes on a Mickey bar probably won’t break the bank.
True, it‘s just another quarter… the problem is that’s on top of a few hundred more for tickets, a few hundred more for hotels, a few hundred more for transportation, a few hundred more for dining… it adds up quick, the exact same vacation that was $3000 a couple years ago is $5000 today.

WDW is now priced with vacations like Europe and Hawaii. It’s not whether we can afford it, it’s whether we’d rather go to WDW or Europe, with current travel restrictions we don’t really have a choice, next year we will though.

EpcoTim

In order to save

I wish there were lower price options as well (i.e. less fancy than the regular bottle). For example, $4 for a bottle that has a slow leak and isn’t labeled so you don’t know what soda you’re getting.
It’s not on any printed menu, but you can get a souvenir bag of coca-cola for 85 cents at any outdoor kiosk in Epcot or the one with the castle.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The breakdown in every comparison such as this (the “Broadway effect”) is that you don’t board a plane to stay a 7 day average with total out of pocket expenses…in your examples.

the “death by a thousand paper cuts” analogy is fitting

BuddyThomas

The breakdown in every comparison such as this (the “Broadway effect”) is that you don’t board a plane to stay a 7 day average with total out of pocket expenses…in your examples.

Yeah I get it, but if I have the opportunity to go to WDW again if this pandemic ever ends, the last thing I’m going to worry about is the price of a Mickey bar. I realize that others feel differently.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah I get it, but if I have the opportunity to go to WDW again if this pandemic ever ends, the last thing I’m going to worry about is the price of a Mickey bar. I realize that others feel differently.
In reality…it won’t make a dent. As you correctly point out: it won’t move the bar. Just become a forgotten higher jump point for the next price increase. The wheel keeps turning.

only we that care enough to always watch notice
These things…and crack and go along with it anyway.

someone a few months back…in a fit of “rage”…said something to that effect:

“after my upcoming 14 day trip in November…I’m seriously considering cancelling my January and/or April trips”

🙄

please, Hammer, don’t hurt em?

1641860199503.gif

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

It depends on your location. For our locations, it would involve a long plane flight, accommodations, meals to see anything on Broadway. A WDW trip is quicker, more convenient than going to a Schengen Area. Frankly, I've had enough international travel for several lifetimes. after our December trip we're renewing our APs and going in April, September, and December.

fgmnt

On the macro level, they are practically obligated to do this. The Disney consumer base is more cowed and compliant than the average American consumer base, which is the most compliant and cowed in Earth's history. It's why we have deserts full of old clothes, why perfectly edible food is thrown out and locked into dumpsters, and why the Walt Disney Company can continue to raise prices and create upcharge opportunities out of thin air across the board without widespread and immediate material financial impact.

I take this one pretty hard because this is the one thing I spend money on in the parks, as I'm usually there on comp tickets and eating meals off property to minimize the impact the company has on my wallet. But it's not surprising. It's expected and with respect to management's superficial responsibility to Wall Street, obligated.

kalel8145

Keep this up Disney and you're really gonna make me think twice about having that 6th Mickey bar........nah I'm gonna buy it because I know I'm gonna spend lots of money on a Disney World vacation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It depends on your location. For our locations, it would involve a long plane flight, accommodations, meals to see anything on Broadway. A WDW trip is quicker, more convenient than going to a Schengen Area. Frankly, I've had enough international travel for several lifetimes. after our December trip we're renewing our APs and going in April, September, and December.
The duration of those trips are consistently less…4 days in New York is practically a lifetime…

but on the low end in Orlando

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom