News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You're right. WDW doesn't want you. That's why APs and day-tickets for December have either been 'paused' or made unavailable. WDW is beating people back with a stick. They're a victim of their own success (and failure to increase capacity when they had the chance).

If the other parks were in the same situation, they'd do the same.

Just try calling for a plumber or electrician who's already booked with customers. They'd turn you away, too. And you'd say, "Hmph, I guess they don't want my business!" And you'd be right. They don't. At this time.
Why do you assume they’re “beating people away with a stick”??

…aren’t they themselves claiming they are at limited capacity due to “staffing woes”??

…hasn’t cancelled any after hours or candlelight dining packages though…fear not 👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They can achieve that without slapping us in the face. We've accepted price increases every year and expect them. But jumping the price substantially while removing benefits of the passes isn't just about limiting capacity for a higher paying guest. Did they REALLY have to make photopass an addon? And they couldn't give us even a couple Genie + passes for the year like their competitors do? I mean cmon..Mickey is practically slapping our face.
They’ve made it clear they don’t see a real advantage towards “discounting” anything…and the half witted Bobs say passes are “discounted”

but I do not blame a for profit business like Disney. They are not required to be reasonable…just charge for what they can. They are not their own backstop.

the customers have to perform their role…which is and always has been to set limits. As many of us that there are who point out the tactics and decline…there are more that can’t hold their crap together and gush like children about buying it. It’s a hard scenario.

you can’t really blame Disney. Especially Florida residents…who have been loyal, but always were filler based on tactics and policy. It just is what it is.

I do like to point out things like prolly 5 years ago when there was justification for menu prices (that’s just to make the dining plan work) and hotel prices (that’s kohl’s pricing…they charge more then discount)…and ticket prices (its more flexible now and that’s why it costs more)

none of that crap is true…you’ve been had. And because Disney is a mass destination…I’ve been had as well.

such is life.

Last edited by a moderator:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm sure Bob 2.0 would love to have half the people paying twice the price(s). They'd actually make more money, if everything were equal, because they could reduce staffing, which is that overhead he despises. But in doing that, they limit their audience and run the risk of not having as many attend and then not selling as much overpriced crap, not to mention paying the bloated food/bev prices. Hmmm... What to do, what to do... 🤔

Disstevefan1

I'm sure Bob 2.0 would love to have half the people paying twice the price(s). They'd actually make more money, if everything were equal, because they could reduce staffing, which is that overhead he despises. But in doing that, they limit their audience and run the risk of not having as many attend and then not selling as much overpriced crap, not to mention paying the bloated food/bev prices. Hmmm... What to do, what to do... 🤔
I think B2, would rather sell more tickets to get in, rather than relying on APs to buy the overpriced crap. Folks who paid to get in will buy the overpriced crap anyway.

Something drastic (worse than a pandemic apparently) will have to happen for WDW to offer APs like we saw pre pandemic..

Basil of Baker Street

Half the crowd sure would leave a lot of hotel rooms empty.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Why do you assume they’re “beating people away with a stick”??
Just a hunch on my part... just an intuition...

...based on the statements of the two past CEOs and seeing all the things they did, which are visible and in practice, which disuades guests from attending peak times.

So, throw your rambling, incoherent, winking doubts on it all you want. It's a reality already in progress, that started pre-pandemic and continues up to the present.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just a hunch on my part... just an intuition...

...based on the statements of the two past CEOs and seeing all the things they did, which are visible and in practice, which disuades guests from attending peak times.

So, throw your rambling, incoherent, winking doubts on it all you want. It's a reality already in progress, that started pre-pandemic and continues up to the present.
So I mostly agree with your dated take…because it’s from 2018-19…not the current situation…which is the entire basis of the thread…

so I’ll be rambling and incoherent…and you have dementia? That work?

now here’s something I’ll wait to tell you until after you’ve had your pills and soup:

the Bobs are NOT required to tell you the truth!! They are expected to spin their product in a way that provided maximum yield…in this case: by saying “sorry, folks…gotta keep charging so we aren’t so busy! 🤷🏻

like the moose at the front of Wally World.

that’s a lot different than hiding bags of money from the IRS.

also: box office isn’t reflective of movie quality…especially on reboots…

wait…is the “batuu of the seas” cruise ship thread? 🤔

…I might have gotten crossed up there…

Epcot82Guy

I really wish we had legitimate numbers. They could very well be dealing with massive crowds. On the other hand, some in the travel industry have suggested otherwise or that it's temporary. Plus, Disney is a master of creating faux scarcity to drive demand and perceived value. We also need to own the opinion bias everyone has which shouldn't be understated (including for me).

In addition to my own bias, I am a little skeptical. Everything is speculation and HIGHLY curated for any 10-Q/K. I just know "flat attendance that's only down 20% vs. 35%" won't sell as easily to Wall Street as a "new after hours event with higher revenue per person that's selling out" (even if it's severely limited capacity). Wall Street likes comparisons and super growth. So if comparisons don't look great, you need to change the product and the offering to make it look as good as it can. So you can have the most popular club in the world. You also could have a Vegas-style VIP lounge where there is a line out the door - but you get inside and find VIP full and the club itself at 20% capacity.

My point is - there are lots of versions here. And, sadly, the keeper of the numbers isn't really at liberty to be 100% transparent.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really wish we had legitimate numbers. They could very well be dealing with massive crowds. On the other hand, some in the travel industry have suggested otherwise or that it's temporary. Plus, Disney is a master of creating faux scarcity to drive demand and perceived value. We also need to own the opinion bias everyone has which shouldn't be understated (including for me).

In addition to my own bias, I am a little skeptical. Everything is speculation and HIGHLY curated for any 10-Q/K. I just know "flat attendance that's only down 20% vs. 35%" won't sell as easily to Wall Street as a "new after hours event with higher revenue per person that's selling out" (even if it's severely limited capacity). Wall Street likes comparisons and super growth. So if comparisons don't look great, you need to change the product and the offering to make it look as good as it can. So you can have the most popular club in the world. You also could have a Vegas-style VIP lounge where there is a line out the door - but you get inside and find VIP full and the club itself at 20% capacity.

My point is - there are lots of versions here. And, sadly, the keeper of the numbers isn't really at liberty to be 100% transparent.
We have no indication they are at full staffing, room occupancy or capacity…

indications are the opposite…

so at a minimum…the “they Have Too!!” Corporate PR must be paused until conditions are normal.

that’s fair…and chapek still sucks…that’s more than fair too.

by the way…the stock is heading south again after one good day last week. Follow the money

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Their actions comport with their decisions. I regard that as truthful.
But you conveniently forget that it was deliberate under Iger.

i’m not saying it’s not good business…it’s smart. But it’s stone cold business

attendance rose an estimated 20-25% during his reign with almost a net zero room and attraction capacity to house it.

it’s “demand” was the natural progression of a rise in travel to central Florida…as does not “comport” with the customers desires.

Chip Chipperson

I can't tell you what the attendance numbers are or have been, but I can tell you that last week the parks were mobbed to the point that my wife and I barely spent any time in them. It wasn't just that wait times were high (which could partially be explained away by not having a full slate of shows open across all the parks). There were people everywhere you turned and they were crammed together like sardines in plenty of places like Main Street and the World Showcase. If attendance is truly still capped then it can't be capped much lower than their normal levels. The Very Merriest DAH event was the only time we didn't feel like strangers were breathing down our necks. Our non-DAH visit to MK consisted of riding the People Mover and leaving as soon as we got off the ride. Main Street was crowded enough for them to have opened the bypass on the right side. We have visited during this same week multiple times in recent years and this is the first time it felt that crowded (and the first time we've seen the bypass open for anything other than a party entrance, as we tend to visit during slower periods).

Mark48

They can achieve that without slapping us in the face. We've accepted price increases every year and expect them. But jumping the price substantially while removing benefits of the passes isn't just about limiting capacity for a higher paying guest. Did they REALLY have to make photopass an addon? And they couldn't give us even a couple Genie + passes for the year like their competitors do? I mean cmon..Mickey is practically slapping his c--k in our face.
Man.....That's a tough visual !!

hopemax

They can achieve that without slapping us in the face. We've accepted price increases every year and expect them. But jumping the price substantially while removing benefits of the passes isn't just about limiting capacity for a higher paying guest. Did they REALLY have to make photopass an addon? And they couldn't give us even a couple Genie + passes for the year like their competitors do? I mean cmon..Mickey is practically slapping his c--k in our face.
I am assuming people at Disney have also watched Squid Game. Slapping in the face is not always a problem to humans it seems.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I can't tell you what the attendance numbers are or have been, but I can tell you that last week the parks were mobbed to the point that my wife and I barely spent any time in them. It wasn't just that wait times were high (which could partially be explained away by not having a full slate of shows open across all the parks). There were people everywhere you turned and they were crammed together like sardines in plenty of places like Main Street and the World Showcase. If attendance is truly still capped then it can't be capped much lower than their normal levels. The Very Merriest DAH event was the only time we didn't feel like strangers were breathing down our necks. Our non-DAH visit to MK consisted of riding the People Mover and leaving as soon as we got off the ride. Main Street was crowded enough for them to have opened the bypass on the right side. We have visited during this same week multiple times in recent years and this is the first time it felt that crowded (and the first time we've seen the bypass open for anything other than a party entrance, as we tend to visit during slower periods).
Your MK visit sounds a lot like our Thanksgiving. We always do a day trip (somewhat local) and had a 230 ADR at Steakhouse 71 so were only in the park for about 3.5 hrs. Only ride we did was Peoplemover. This week is a little better. Springs was very crowded tonight for a Monday.

Touchdown

Bump

So the holidays and marathon weekend is over, and WDW just released a FL weekday ticket, when are we going to hear about APs being sold again?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom