News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
He didn't conquer "the Brits"; he conquered England. Wales wasn't subjugated until two centuries later, and Scotland would remain an independent kingdom until 1707 (though sharing the same monarch as England since 1603).

Technically he conquered the Anglo-Saxons. Harold II was the last crowned Anglo-Saxon king of England until his death during the Battle of Hastings.

doctornick

I don't see how that contradicts the statement that he conquered England. The land he took was already known as the Kingdom of England when he took it. He styled himself Rex Anglorum (King of the English).
Yeah, I would think “English” and “Anglo-Saxon” have basically the same meaning at that point in history. And English (the world) is derived from “Anglo”.

doctornick

Another good point. We can't really talk of a "British" identity before the Union of England and Scotland in 1603 or (perhaps more securely) the Acts of Union in 1707.
I’ve always thought of “British” as being a geographical term as opposed to ethnic or geopolitical. so anyone from the British Isles could be considered “British” regardless of their ethnic background or citizenship. And the term British comes from the Romans’ word for the area (which derived from “Britons” though diverged in meaning) so I would think it had meaning long before the Union of Scotland and English.

I guess my question would be when did “Britain” or “British” come into use as referring to all of the modern “British Isles” as opposed to just being the Roman province of Britannia (which was not all of Great Britain) as it was in antiquity?

LittleBuford

I’ve always thought of “British” as being a geographical term as opposed to ethnic or geopolitical. so anyone from the British Isles could be considered “British” regardless of their ethnic background or citizenship. And the term British comes from the Romans’ word for the area (which derived from “Britons” though diverged in meaning) so I would think it had meaning long before the Union of Scotland and English.

I guess my question would be when did “Britain” or “British” come into use as referring to all of the modern “British Isles” as opposed to just being the Roman province of Britannia (which was not all of Great Britain) as it was in antiquity?
The turning point between the ancient/geographical usage and the more modern/political usage is the seventeenth century, when James VI of Scotland also became James I of England and understandably wanted to emphasise his position over the whole island (though it's interesting to note that some of the Anglo-Saxon kings were less convincingly attempting the same thing many centuries before; see the link in my previous post).

Although the geographical term "British Isles" encompasses both Great Britain (the island comprising England, Scotland, and Wales) and the island of Ireland (along with some smaller islands), the words "Britain" and "British" in their modern senses refer to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and not to the Republic of Ireland.

Self-designations vary widely among the inhabitants of the UK and depend on a number of cultural and political factors. Someone from Northern Ireland, for example, may consider themselves British, Irish, or both. I am from London but, because I am not of English ethnicity, refer to myself as British rather than English.

Some more potentially interesting links from one of my favourite online resources:

LAKid53

Premium Member

The Welsh, Scottish and Irish would like to have a word. We are not British.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Aren't you forgetting somewhere ?
rude GIF

nickys

Premium Member
And the tax haven known as the British Crown Dependencies.

Happy now?
They’re separate Crown Dependencies.

And not all of the Crown Dependencies are part of the British Isles.

We? 🧐 Are you not the “kid” from LA? 😉

But actually, they are British. I consider myself Scottish first, British second. Whether we like it or not, all citizens of the United Kingdom are British - it says so on our passport. Allegiance may differ, personally I don’t have an issue with allegiance to the U.K. or being British. Some of my countrymen may do so.

I’ve always thought of “British” as being a geographical term as opposed to ethnic or geopolitical. so anyone from the British Isles could be considered “British” regardless of their ethnic background or citizenship.

British refers to those of British citizenship. Just like Canadian refers to those of Canadian citizenship, Spanish refers to those of Spanish citizenship etc.

LAKid53

Premium Member
They’re separate Crown Dependencies.

And not all of the Crown Dependencies are part of the British Isles.

We? 🧐 Are you not the “kid” from LA? 😉

But actually, they are British. I consider myself Scottish first, British second. Whether we like it or not, all citizens of the United Kingdom are British - it says so on our passport. Allegiance may differ, personally I don’t have an issue with allegiance to the U.K. or being British. Some of my countrymen may do so.

British refers to those of British citizenship. Just like Canadian refers to those of Canadian citizenship, Spanish refers to those of Spanish citizenship etc.

If you called my Welsh grandfather British, he'd have something to say.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom