News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

marymarypoppins

Our family of six is all vaccinated and those of us who are old enough to be boosted are. We wear masks indoors whenever possible. We also wear kn95. We spent Xmas with our family for first time in two years. All same vax status and tested before arrival. 10/16 now have Covid. All mild. It’s just going to be very hard to avoid unless you stay home and order all necessities until this wave is over. It’s so so contagious
Same kind of story except out of 20 there were 5 who aren't vaxxed and only 1 was of those was positive. None of us having more than your typical winter cold to include the non vaxxed family member. Honestly it was worth to spend Christmas with family in WDW.

The Mom

Premium Member
Was your brother-in-law Omicron or Delta?

Just wondering since if he was wiped out for 2 weeks that would seem to be more from the Delta timeframe.
I know of someone in her 40s who was vaxxed & boosted and died of Covid. The time frame was more likely Delta, but she did work for an airline so may have had exposure to Omicron.

Now I expect questions about her baseline health, etc as we would all like to think that she must have been different than we, or else she wouldn't have died. That may be true, and if it makes you feel better to think that, please go right ahead. All we can do is what we have been told will protect us - knowing that a few times it still won't be enough. But most of the time it will.

Trauma

I know of someone in her 40s who was vaxxed & boosted and died of Covid. The time frame was more likely Delta, but she did work for an airline so may have had exposure to Omicron.

Now I expect questions about her baseline health, etc as we would all like to think that she must have been different than we, or else she wouldn't have died. That may be true, and if it makes you feel better to think that, please go right ahead. All we can do is what we have been told will protect us - knowing that a few times it still won't be enough. But most of the time it will.
Yeah that’s why I think it’s important for people who have been to Disney lately and have tested positive to post in the mask thread.

Yes they help.

Yes they are absolutely necessary and need to be required.

You are still at very high risk to catch it and if that is concerning to you avoid the parks.

I really wish everyone the best during this wave.

If you have to deal with the public this is going to be a very rough time.

ToTBellHop

Hospitalizations yes. Deaths no unless the medical examiner determines that covid was the cause of death.
Right. I’ve also heard anecdotally that a higher percentage of admissions need standard beds and not ICU beds this winter. At least locally.

EpcoTim

That's good. I was told by my pharmacist who gave me the Moderna shots (3) that one should stick with the same vaccine brand for all shots. Seems like some mix and match perhaps by choice or the other vaccine out of stock.
She’s spreading false information, CDC allows for mixing and provides no guidance in either direction, per the CDC website:

“There are now booster recommendations for all three available COVID-19 vaccines in the United States. Eligible individuals may choose which vaccine they receive as a booster dose. Some people may have a preference for the vaccine type that they originally received, and others may prefer to get a different booster. CDC’s recommendations now allow for this type of mix and match dosing for booster shots”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah that’s why I think it’s important for people who have been to Disney lately and have tested positive to post in the mask thread.

Yes they help.

Yes they are absolutely necessary and need to be required.

You are still at very high risk to catch it and if that is concerning to you avoid the parks.

I really wish everyone the best during this wave.

If you have to deal with the public this is going to be a very rough time.
So it’s probably not a good idea to go to parks?…is what you’re clumsily dancing around.

I feel like I’ve passed “go” at least 18 times at this point…but I never get my $200 ☹️

Trauma

So it’s probably not a good idea to go to parks?…is what you’re clumsily dancing around.

I feel like I’ve passed “go” at least 18 times at this point…but I never get my $200 ☹️
No it’s not a good idea to go to the parks if you are concerned with catching Covid.

Maybe you are not vaccinated or are immunocompromised.

I don’t have any risk factors and I’m vaccinated and boosted. Therefore I have no concern.

I’m only posting to make people aware that even with full vaccinations and following all mask requirements you are still very likely to catch it.

Omicron is a different animal. Mitigations that where extremely good at preventing infections such as masking coupled with vaccination have lost effectiveness.

That is not to say the vaccines are ineffective they are more important than ever considering avoiding infection is becoming increasingly difficult.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No it’s not a good idea to go to the parks if you are concerned with catching Covid.

I don’t have any risk factors and I’m vaccinated and boosted. Therefore I have no concern.

I’m only posting to make people aware that even with full vaccinations and following all mask requirements you are still very likely to catch it.

Omicron is a different animal. Mitigations that where extremely good at preventing infections such as masking coupled with vaccination have lost effectiveness.

That is not to say the vaccines are ineffective they are more important than ever considering avoiding infection is becoming increasingly difficult.
Oh…

I just had a thought…given all those things you listed…probably a good idea to wait it out until things stabilize? Maybe go to a meeting to handle “the urges”?

🤓

Chomama

Because of our quarantine we have to miss marathon weekend which was supposed to be my 40th birthday do over. That said, I will have much less anxiety when I visit Disney World next. I can finally eat in my favorite restaurants without feeling a little stress. Thank you super immunity! I would never would’ve chosen to get Covid but I feel like being boosted and getting omicron was the best possible

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because of our quarantine we have to miss marathon weekend which was supposed to be my 40th birthday do over. That said, I will have much less anxiety when I visit Disney World next. I can finally eat in my favorite restaurants without feeling a little stress. Thank you super immunity! I would never would’ve chosen to get Covid but I feel like being boosted and getting omicron was the best possible
Unfortunately that’s not how it seems to work…the vaccines/boosters are your line of defense

the concept of “super immunity” is just a theory at this point…not enough data to support it. I would bet it turns out to be yet another “unicorn”…

so let’s just keep you healthy instead, eh?

AEfx

She’s spreading false information, CDC allows for mixing and provides no guidance in either direction, per the CDC website:

While it is "allowed" - the CDC just wants you to get whatever shot is in front of you, period - there is conflicting information about what is "best", because we quite simply don't know with any certainty.

That's why many places are recommending that you stick with the same one, even if only because if you did not have a reaction to it the first two times, chances are on shot three you won't have any adverse reactions, either. Major vaccination providers like Walgreens, for example, will only let you make an appointment at a site that has the same type you already got (which is why it wanted to send me like 45 minutes away). I do know that when I finally was able to get one at a mass vaccination site (I gave up on Walgreens), there were multiple lines - they took a look at your card, and sent you to the line that corresponded with what you previously got.

So I think it's a little harsh to declare the pharmacist was "spreading false information".

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
While it is "allowed" - the CDC just wants you to get whatever shot is in front of you, period - there is conflicting information about what is "best", because we quite simply don't know with any certainty.

That's why many places are recommending that you stick with the same one, even if only because if you did not have a reaction to it the first two times, chances are on shot three you won't have any adverse reactions, either. Major vaccination providers like Walgreens, for example, will only let you make an appointment at a site that has the same type you already got (which is why it wanted to send me like 45 minutes away). I do know that when I finally was able to get one at a mass vaccination site (I gave up on Walgreens), there were multiple lines - they took a look at your card, and sent you to the line that corresponded with what you previously got.

So I think it's a little harsh to declare the pharmacist was "spreading false information".
I think I would trust a doctor / the CDC etc over a pharmacist.

AEfx

I think I would trust a doctor / the CDC etc over a pharmacist.
It's not "a pharmacist" - you guys are making it sound like it's some rogue crazy pharmacist spreading harmful information - I was simply commenting on what many places are practicing, and why. Again, even if only because your body has already been exposed to that vaccine, so chances are even further reduced that you would have a reaction. The CDC is not recommending "get a different one, it's better" - it's saying it is OK. There is a difference there.

Just for the heck of it, I just went to the Walgreens website - last month, when I was trying to get mine, they would not allow you to make an appointment for a different one, period. They have changed the interface, and now while it automatically tries to send you somewhere with the same one by default (again, tried to send me someplace nearly an hour away, even though I have 10 Walgreens closer to me), it does give you the option to back out pick a different location with a different brand.

Also interestingly enough, the "it's OK to mix and match" advice is not universal, even with the CDC - for Pfizer, they are saying 16-17 year-olds can only get the same one.

Lilofan

PCR for unvaccinated is a thing, but how would they be using that for passengers at the port? Isn't that a 2 day turnaround.
Isn't there PCR and Rapid PCR tests? I was having headaches , 3x shots Moderna but went for my PCR test ( came out negative ) at a urgent care location. The doc there told me that is the gold standard of detecting covid, PCR. The Rapid test can get the patient a result in about 24 hours. Cruise Lines may use Rapid test , I think.

Lilofan

Thanks for the info. I talked with a pharmacist recently and he also advised that the booster for Pfizer is a full dose and the booster for Moderna is a half dose. I sticking with the medical recommendation of the same vaccine Moderna for my fourth dose when eligible. The 1st and 3rd were non events, the 2nd was rough with me in bed with flu like symptoms for about 24 hours after the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom