News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trauma

This is going to be a bit of a rant but it's been on my mind for quite some time.

People still don't get it and it's been 2 years of this. Masks work when combined with vaccine use and social distancing. For some reason people assume that since they're wearing a mask they can go back to standing right on top of each other. No wonder people are sick at Disney. People just can't keep their space from others.
This may be true but it’s not happening.

I’ll post some pictures of the dance parties at Epcot for New Years when I get home

I know someone here going to post that it’s impossible to catch it outside but I’m not sure if those studies where performed on the Omicron variant at New Years Eve dance parties.

Good news is people where for the most part following the mask rules.

People who are triple vaccinated rule followers like me appear to be giving up in droves. They have resigned themselves to their fate of whatever happens when they catch it and trust the vaccines will keep them alive.

You can post all you want about how terrible that is and what things should be. I would even agree that you are right.

That ship had sailed though and it’s time to deal with what is.

That’s a wave of this virus that will not be stopped or avoided unless you can isolate indefinitely.

I wish everyone good luck.

ToTBellHop

As you all know I have been against the mask mandates in the park.

That being said right now everyone is hacking and sneezing everywhere. I’m at the airport right now and it sounds like a hospital ward.

Do I think the basic cloth masks will do anything?

Nope not at all.

At this point if you are against masking just let this thing burn out, it’s coming for everyone.

The case numbers they are giving are not even close to accurate.

For every 1 person who tests positive there are 10 more walking around with “just a cold”.

I have no evidence to prove any of this, but my gut instinct tells me this is far more out of control than even the media is reporting.

What does that mean for masking at Disney?

They have to keep the mandate for now and I actually agree with it, just from an optics perspective.

The way this is spreading it will all be over soon, and we will have maskless Disney vacations this calendar year.
Case numbers (outside of hospital workers) matter much less than hospitalizations.

Bob Harlem

And of those hospitalizations, how many were involved in a car accident and then tested positive upon admission to the hospital?
New York is going to start reporting the incidental covid case hospitalization numbers tomorrow (I.e. in for other reasons and in tested at admission to be found to have covid). In Miami it's around 50%-60% incidental (At least in Jackson Health) https://twitter.com/JacksonHealth/ South Africa was closer to 75%

I can see other places doing the same thing. Most of Pediatric is incidental too according to Fauci, I think because of the prevalence of Omicron a lot more places are going to be breaking out these numbers soon.

AEfx

You really believe this will never end? No virus in history ever has been that way. It takes a while but to think this is it, just isn't good either IMO.
"Never" is strong - but certainly, I think we can acknowledge that 100 years ago, the last time something like this happened, the world was FAR different.

Only 1 in 20 people even owned a personal vehicle. Commercial air travel didn't exist. Most people never traveled more than a few miles from home, period, let alone every day. Kids went to single-room school houses within walking distance of their house. Virtually everything was local.

We can't look to history to see how this ends - because this has never happened in the current environment.

correcaminos

"Never" is strong - but certainly, I think we can acknowledge that 100 years ago, the last time something like this happened, the world was FAR different.

Only 1 in 20 people even owned a personal vehicle. Commercial air travel didn't exist. Most people never traveled more than a few miles from home, period, let alone every day. Kids went to single-room school houses within walking distance of their house. Virtually everything was local.

We can't look to history to see how this ends - because this has never happened in the current environment.
Disagree with we cannot look at history. If anything we should be in better positions to deal than 100 years ago in terms of medical advances. Either this kills us all or it won't. This won't be the future no matter how negative people feel at this moment.

So yes, I will look at history to show what has happened with viruses and how so far no major pandemic has killed us off entirely. Not minimizing covid, but not going to fall into a trap of negatively either.

However we have strayed faaaaaaaar away from the subject and I'll bow out. Tbh when I replied I didn't realize which thread it was. Sorry

G00fyDad

It's a lie that a lot of people were dying from other things but being reported as covid deaths, but the hospitalization question could be a little trickier. How exactly are COVID hospitalizations reported? Everyone who goes into the hospital is tested for COVID, so is a determination made at that point if COVID is why they are there or not?
Having worked at a hospital and having a spouse who has worked at a hospital for 32 years and currently working on a covid unit I can tell you that when a person goes into the hospital what they report in the ER for triage is what they're admitted to the hospital for. If they test positive for covid while they're there that is a whole separate issue and is dealt with at the same time but separately. They don't have someone coming with a gunshot wound who tests positive for covid and they just ignore the gunshot. They treat the gunshot wound while also treating the person for covid. Now if the person dies while in treatment but it was nothing to do with a gunshot wound (for example, a gunshot to the leg nowhere near the femoral artery) then they may look at covid. Ultimately they will determine what the cause of death was before it is labeled on a death certificate and reported. No one in a medical examiner's office is going to look at someone who came into the hospital for a car crash or something and label them as a covid death. It's just not happening. (For the record, I'm not saying that you are saying that. 😁)

lazyboy97o

It's a lie that a lot of people were dying from other things but being reported as covid deaths, but the hospitalization question could be a little trickier. How exactly are COVID hospitalizations reported? Everyone who goes into the hospital is tested for COVID, so is a determination made at that point if COVID is why they are there or not?
It’s the same thing. There may be people who aren’t really in need of COVID care but they’re not the root of the surge. There is no corresponding increase in car accidents or broken legs that is actually driving the increased admissions.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Having worked at a hospital and having a spouse who has worked at a hospital for 32 years and currently working on a covid unit I can tell you that when a person goes into the hospital what they report in the ER for triage is what they're admitted to the hospital for. If they test positive for covid while they're there that is a whole separate issue and is dealt with at the same time but separately. They don't have someone coming with a gunshot wound who tests positive for covid and they just ignore the gunshot. They treat the gunshot wound while also treating the person for covid. Now if the person dies while in treatment but it was nothing to do with a gunshot wound (for example, a gunshot to the leg nowhere near the femoral artery) then they may look at covid. Ultimately they will determine what the cause of death was before it is labeled on a death certificate and reported. No one in a medical examiner's office is going to look at someone who came into the hospital for a car crash or something and label them as a covid death. It's just not happening. (For the record, I'm not saying that you are saying that. 😁)

Most of you post is talking about deaths, which is not what I was talking about, I am talking the counts of people hospitalized with COVID. Facui, who I respected, just talked about how the child hospitalized numbers could be inflated because they are counting children who where admitted for other reasons.

JoeCamel

Another classic lie!
An attempt to minimalize but not really a lie. In this area kids in ped ICU with trauma and Covid + are counted as a covid case in the ICU. Only three at this time but they were clear to say how the number was reported. That is Ballad medical which around here is the big provider of hospital services.
In any case I am still baffled as to what these posters get out of the attempts. Is it because they feel it is out of their control so this will allow them to cope? General desire to disrupt?? I just don't get it.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
And of those hospitalizations, how many were involved in a car accident and then tested positive upon admission to the hospital?

New York is going to start reporting the incidental covid case hospitalization numbers tomorrow (I.e. in for other reasons and in tested at admission to be found to have covid). In Miami it's around 50%-60% incidental (At least in Jackson Health) https://twitter.com/JacksonHealth/ South Africa was closer to 75%

I can see other places doing the same thing. Most of Pediatric is incidental too according to Fauci, I think because of the prevalence of Omicron a lot more places are going to be breaking out these numbers soon.

Most of you post is talking about deaths, which is not what I was talking about, I am talking the counts of people hospitalized with COVID. Facui, who I respected, just talked about how the child hospitalized numbers could be inflated because they are counting children who where admitted for other reasons.

That there is a mixture of incidental covid and actual covid cases is interesting trivia, but it's not really relevant. What matters is that there is a surge in hospitalizations due to COVID over baseline for this time of year, coupled with a shortage in hospital staff, that could seriously threaten the health and lives of many people.

It's certainly true that there is some percentage of reported COVID hospitalizations that is incidental. It is also true that hospitalizations for any cause are up significantly compared to baseline in areas of the country that started the Omicron surge earlier.

The only number that matters right now is total hospitalized vs capacity, and that number is getting dangerously close to being a real problem. Whether some percentage is from incidental cases that would have been in the hospital without COVID really doesn't matter.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Older article regarding South Africa but it does state this:

One interesting thing about the data from a hospital system in the Gauteng province is three-quarters of the patients who were admitted in the first two weeks to hospitals in the area had no idea they had Covid. They went there for something else. That is an indication there weren’t symptoms. We could then think there are a lot of asymptomatic cases and it might cause milder disease.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Older article regarding South Africa but it does state this:

One interesting thing about the data from a hospital system in the Gauteng province is three-quarters of the patients who were admitted in the first two weeks to hospitals in the area had no idea they had Covid. They went there for something else. That is an indication there weren’t symptoms. We could then think there are a lot of asymptomatic cases and it might cause milder disease.

You can't necessarily extrapolate across populations though. It does seem that Omicron is a bit more severe outside of S Africa (though less severe than other varients). This might be because S Africa had a Beta Varient wave that shared a bunch of mutations with Omecron, so that may have led to less severe disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom