Is Epcot's theme/mission changing?

mharrington

Original Poster
We all know Epcot is in a state of overhaul (with a few parts still up in the air (such as the Spaceship Earth overhaul and the Play pavilion)), but as it changes physically, does this mean that its mission/theme is changing overall? All I know is, I seriously doubt that the Epcot we all know and love from1982 is ever coming back.

eliza61nyc

I didn't go until 1999/2000 so please excuse my question if it's stupid but what's the mission of a theme park??
I'll admit our only mission was to have fun

mharrington

Original Poster
The idea of a "permanent World's Fair" was doomed by the early 2000s when it became clear that Disney had no intention to spend the kind of money needed to keep such a concept relevant and updated.

The theme now can best be described by Chapek as a place where people go to spend more money.
All cynicism about spending ever more money aside, my question was based on the new poster that reads "On the brink of a new age October 1, 2019".

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I didn't go until 1999/2000 so please excuse my question if it's stupid but what's the mission of a theme park??
I'll admit our only mission was to have fun
It can be found on the dedication plaque at the front of the park. In short, that park was supposed to inform and inspire people. All of the original attractions were centered around this "inform and inspire" concept.

Unfortunately, the general theme park going public just wanted fun rides and did not really embrace the edutainment style rides of opening day Epcot. It also did not help that Disney was not willing to keep the rides updated. Attractions about the future eventually became about the present day.

epcot-dedication-plaque-1982-david-lee-thompson.jpg

ppete1975

It can be found on the dedication plaque at the front of the park. In short, that park was supposed to inform and inspire people. All of the original attractions were centered around this "inform and inspire" concept.

Unfortunately, the general theme park going public just wanted fun rides and did not really embrace the edutainment style rides of opening day Epcot. It also did not help that Disney was not willing to keep the rides updated. Attractions about the future eventually became about the present day.

epcot-dedication-plaque-1982-david-lee-thompson.jpg
And it did an amazing job of that. It was awe inspiring.. you left the park feeling inspired.. it was odd.

JIMINYCR

Yes. But right from the start Disney was confused as to how the park would come together and what experiences it would deliver. Thats been a problem since day one. We have heard the story of how they put 2 concepts/ ideas together to make one park ...
From Wikipedia...The original plans for the park showed indecision over the park's purpose. Some Imagineers wanted it to represent the cutting edge of technology, while others wanted it to showcase international cultures and customs. At one point, a model of the futuristic park was pushed together against a model of a World's Fair international theme, and the two were combined.

One problem has always been lack of funding and allocation of resources to make EP a one dimensional themed park.
Its never been resolved as to what the park should be. Then the idea of hosting events, festivals, various musical bands to attract guests in to build up numbers and profits and EP became the party park where you eat and drink.

mharrington

Original Poster
"The age of more money!"

Seriously. That's all the Bob era cares about.

Again, Chapek notwithstanding, I posted this topic mainly to see, seriously and without joking/sarcasm/cynicism, if the theme of Epcot after its overhaul would be different than in 1982.

I was hoping for a more serious discussion, one that for once would not revolve around upper management and their obsession with profits.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Again, Chapek notwithstanding, I posted this topic mainly to see, seriously and without joking/sarcasm/cynicism, if the theme of Epcot after its overhaul would be different than in 1982.

I was hoping for a more serious discussion, one that for once would not revolve around upper management and their obsession with profits.

I get it. The mission of EPCOT Center is dead, buried, and was desecrated by the Bob's (to put it nicely. The words I'd like to use wouldn't pass the censors). Today, there is no theme to Epcot. Nearly everything that was aspirational and inspirational about EPCOT Center in the 80's is dead and gone. The only remnants are SSE (for now), and LwtL.

Animaniac93-98

Today, there is no theme to Epcot.

The theme is Disney movies and characters. Which is very different from the Disney movie theme park down the river. Or the theme park that's full of Disney movies and characters north of Epcot.

Which is not at all like the movie theme parks elsewhere in Orlando, because they don't have Disney content like Marvel.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I get it. The mission of EPCOT Center is dead, buried, and was desecrated by the Bob's (to put it nicely. The words I'd like to use wouldn't pass the censors). Today, there is no theme to Epcot. Nearly everything that was aspirational and inspirational about EPCOT Center in the 80's is dead and gone. The only remnants are SSE (for now), and LwtL.
Most of that 'original Epcot' has been gone since the early 90s. I get that it's cool to rant about the current leadership team but the transformation of Epcot began under Eisner. And the reason it is gone is that guests told Disney they were not interested in that version of Epcot by not visiting and responding to guest surveys that it was 'boring' and there was nothing for their kids to do. Guests expected rides, not 'edutainment', and Epcot did not deliver that. In fact from 1987 to 1994, annual attendance at Epcot dropped by over 30%- the guests were telling Disney they didn't like what they were selling.

I get that there are a small number of die-hard fans (a far smaller number than those fans are willing to admit) of the original themes of Epcot but the mass public didn't care at all and as a result, didn't spin the turnstiles. So Disney had to make some changes to things which brought us things like Test Track followed by the closure of Horizons to be replaced with Mission:Space. And continuing forward it brought us Soarin' and Frozen in Norway. Disney listened to their guests and adapted the park to changing demographics and demands.

I get that some like it to be a museum but that museum would not fund itself and would have otherwise closed.

doctornick

I do think there still is somewhat of an overall theme of human achievement and discovery.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom