Chapek and D'Amaro continue the tradition of no bonus or Christmas gift for Disney's Cast Members

Ayla

Well, you should thank someone, because it has surprisingly been the fact for many years now. The only time the companies give out more then what was originally agree to is if it will help their bottom line. That's the way it mostly was for many years and still is for the majority. Bonus's are usually significant for smaller labor intensive companies with fewer employees that deal with high mark up situations. If someone is lucky enough to get into those situations (usually skilled positions) where the employer feels that they should share the wealth, then people in that situation should consider themselves very fortunate. and now that we have all decided to give the big boys all the power, it is going to be happening even less. Executives are mostly hired with a listing of perks and one of those perks is bonus's if all is going well. Lower grade employees do not have that as a listed perk.

An argument can be made that union locations are not allowed to give bonus's to union members unless all have an equal share. That is not something that is justifiable, so they give none. However, as a side note, unions also usually make regular work pay higher, not everyplace, that more then makes up for the bonus's. Some give out bonus's because they are fair and also because they feel it will help increase production. Others don't because they are greedy and don't want to share and other did give and had it bite them in the butt later on. Nothing is black and white in the world of business. Business is a unique world that defies gravity. Nothing trickles down everything trickles up and only comes down when pressure is applied. Common sense seldom enters into it.
Again, luckily, the company DH works for does not believe that (bolded). The better the company does in a particular year, the better the bonuses. (2021 was a *very* good year for them). In case you missed it from an earlier post, every single employee receives a bonus, not just the executives.

DH has been with the company since Oct of 2000 and started out making $35,000 a year in salary, not anywhere close to executive level.

Goofyernmost

Again, luckily, the company DH works for does not believe that (bolded). The better the company does in a particular year, the better the bonuses. (2021 was a *very* good year for them). In case you missed it from an earlier post, every single employee receives a bonus, not just the executives.

DH has been with the company since Oct of 2000 and started out making $35,000 a year in salary, not anywhere close to executive level.
I also said that it was lucky for you folks, but that it wasn't the norm. You seem to be implying that everyone except a few get that same thing. That is the part that isn't true. I'm happy for your family, that is great, it just isn't what normally happens.

Chip Chipperson

Well, I get a yearly bonus. But it isn’t specifically for Christmas.

Consider yourself lucky to have a pension, that’s a unicorn for those of us under 40.

Heck, I'm 43 and have worked for my current employer for 20 years. There was no pension when I started, but we could buy company stock out of our paychecks separately from the 401(k) plan. The stock purchase plan died when we merged with another company, but our 401(k) match is pretty good. I do get a year-end bonus, but it's not specifically a Christmas bonus. My boss does send everyone on his team a gift at Christmas, though.

plutofan15

Recognition while they work major holidays while the rest of the world can be off and enjoy the holidays with family.
It is understood that cast members may have to work holidays when they accepted the job. When I worked in a 24/7 365 network operations center, it was understood that each tech was required to work two major holidays each year. If you don't like the possibility you may have to work Christmas, don't take the job. I worked Thanksgiving every year for five years.

Lilofan

When I worked at UPS back in the 80s, they gave every employee a frozen turkey. Worked at one of distribution/sorting centers. About a week before Thanksgiving, as you left after your shift they handed you frozen turkey.
Nice perk at Sea World Orlando was when partnered with Busch, each staff member got a case of beer at Christmas time. I remembered approx 25 years ago when we went to Sea World, there was an area that offered free beer samples.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Heck, I'm 43 and have worked for my current employer for 20 years. There was no pension when I started, but we could buy company stock out of our paychecks separately from the 401(k) plan. The stock purchase plan died when we merged with another company, but our 401(k) match is pretty good. I do get a year-end bonus, but it's not specifically a Christmas bonus. My boss does send everyone on his team a gift at Christmas, though.
Boss probably expensed it back to the company.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It is understood that cast members may have to work holidays when they accepted the job. When I worked in a 24/7 365 network operations center, it was understood that each tech was required to work two major holidays each year. If you don't like the possibility you may have to work Christmas, don't take the job. I worked Thanksgiving every year for five years.
So, so true. At a previous employer, everyone on the team had to be on-call for 1 or 2 holidays per year. My wife is in the medical field, she has had to work at least one major holiday (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas) every year for 20+ years. plus several of the other "minor" holidays. Which one(s) depends on the year. You know and understand that as part of the job when you work someplace that is available/running 24x7x365.

Parker in NYC

I have a 401k with a 6% match, but never had the option for a stock purchase.

JIMINYCR

It’s a bit clickbaity for this thread to be in this particular forum given that it isn’t reporting a change from established practice. To be clear, I’m not saying CMs don’t deserve Christmas bonuses or gifts (it would be a nice gesture), but nothing about this topic constitutes news.
Yeah its just another of the many placed to agitate, along with.... (choose one or multiple):
Anyone who wants to vent Disney anger, place your comment
Chapek is bad and continues to ruin Disney
Chapek doesnt care about CM's only his own greed
Walt never treated his CM's this way
Disney was better when Walt ran it
Its too expensive to go to Disney

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Yeah its just another of the many placed to agitate, along with.... (choose one or multiple):
Anyone who wants to vent Disney anger, place your comment
Chapek is bad and continues to ruin Disney
Chapek doesnt care about CM's only his own greed
Walt never treated his CM's this way
Disney was better when Walt ran it
Its too expensive to go to Disney

I know right? Good forbid people show dissatisfaction with glorious Bob and sexy damaro and the wonderful galactic senate of board members. lol

JIMINYCR

I know right? Good forbid people show dissatisfaction with glorious Bob and sexy damaro and the wonderful galactic senate of board members. lol
God forbid we get some original posts with something that hasn’t been kicked around fifty times. How many posts do we need that just revisits the same complaints just worded differently. I know it’s fun to bash someone.. and I’m not a Chapek fan… but it’s really getting old. I know Disney isn’t any where it once was or should be but nothings about to change no matter how much bashing we give.

Vegas Disney Fan

We used to get a Christmas bonus every year, ranging from a frozen turkey to cash to gift cards, then our private owner sold to a corporation in 2006… we haven’t seen anything since.

It’s been so long since I got a Christmas bonus that I forgot they exist until I saw this thread. It was never huge but it was always nice to feel appreciated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom