Chapek and D'Amaro continue the tradition of no bonus or Christmas gift for Disney's Cast Members

ToTBellHop

Josh’s message to his valued Cast:
1640276335483.jpeg

*but there’s no prize under your seat*

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I know several people who work for a restaurant locally and everyone who works for there has received a $50 gift card every Christmas for the past 3+ years. I believe the owners do this at all 5 restaurants they own.
That's cool. You know I have a friend who owns a couple of local restaurants, and I haven't spoke to him in a few months. I need to pose that question to him. ;)

Personally I think it's a nice gesture and company's shouldn't HAVE to do it, but I do believe it's good for moral. Here's the thing though, there is a fine line between a nice gesture and "Why did they even bother" Not from my perspective granted, honestly, I am one of those people that feel I am lucky to have a job most of the time. LOL. But what I've seen when bonuses, or gifts have been given out is that half the people are thankful and grateful and half of them feel they deserve more or better.

I would imagine that the owners of that restaurants probably drop 5 - 10 grand on those gift cards and there is probably a few folks on that staff that are PO'd about what they get. I guess you can't make everyone happy right?

Disorbust

For some a bonus would be a complimentary pass to the parks pretty much anytime of the year. What job has a perk like working all day at Disney , then if one feels like it go to MK or Epcot in the evening for dinner and fireworks?

So that is not possible anymore with the new park reservations. The offer my DD accepted had park entry and 3 silver passes as part of her compensation but now park availblity is month to month for CMS and then usually M-Th if ever.MK has been blocked for months. She hasn't used that benefit in almost 2 yrs.

That is the slap in the face to say this is part of your benefits but impossible to use if you work M-F or trying to have friends and family visit.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
How large is your company Cap?? I do think size plays a part. My company got rid of pensions in 2012, I was grandfathered on but anyone hired after that does not get one. I also am the last that gets retiree Healthcare although I just got a letter saying that they are no longer offering dental so I'll have to get dental out of pocket next year.
Same at my company. I was hired in 2011, the last year that people got pensions.

Lilofan

For some a bonus would be a complimentary pass to the parks pretty much anytime of the year. What job has a perk like working all day at Disney , then if one feels like it go to MK or Epcot in the evening for dinner and fireworks?

So that is not possible anymore with the new park reservations. The offer my DD accepted had park entry and 3 silver passes as part of her compensation but now park availblity is month to month for CMS and then usually M-Th if ever.MK has been blocked for months. She hasn't used that benefit in almost 2 yrs.

That is the slap in the face to say this is part of your benefits but impossible to use if you work M-F or trying to have friends and family visit.
Grab a turkey leg and sit on a park bench, and wait for the fireworks?

Texas84

When I was an engineer working on a cost savings team that saved millions we got half of a Honey Baked ham at Christmas. But we were allowed to abuse our expense reports. I got sweet Christmas bonuses when I was in banking. Now I'm in US government and no Christmas bonuses but several performance bonuses. And we still have pensions. Thank taxpayers!

JIMINYCR

Horrors of horrors... Chapek & D'Amaro also continue the tradition of not paying off CM's mortgages or handing out free cars for Disney Cast Members. Its never been done AND it continues not being done. What a display of not caring for those who work for you. After all the hours they put in and this is the lack of appreciation they get.
Disney CM's still get more perks than I ever got.
When I worked for others I never got a bonus from any of my employers but I was appreciative that they gave me a job where I was guaranteed 40+ hours a week and overtime, sick time, vacation pay, insurance, personal time off when needed with pay, and other benefits. And I could earn a weekly paycheck to pay my bills and raise my family.

Goofyernmost

Which part? The part about Cast Members not being granted time off to attend their own service anniversary (true). Or the part about a small but definite group of Cast Members that can not afford to attend a service celebration for the reasons outlined (also true).
What difference does it make. I don't know the whole story so it is time off with pay? Or time off without pay? How many people on the lower levels of any business can just take time off when they are scheduled or needed if it isn't for an emergency. Either scenario would be a normal situation for any business. I'll bet that person could get the time off without pay, but if they are just going for some semi-formal set up and they will lose a needed days pay, then that applies to a great many people in this country. Crap happens, I'm sure they still get whatever acclaim that comes with that and I don't think a first year CM would be getting an anniversary ceremony and those that had sufficient time in service would probably be making more money and chose to not go because of the loss of a days pay.

Where have all you folks been living? In a flower filled village with constant rainbows and Unicorns? No company, no matter how much we think it should be that way, owes anyone anything except the agreed to pay for the hours they work. CM's in a place like Disney are attached to a revolving door. They come and go at lightening lane speed. The levels are completely unskilled and their worth, individually to the company is exactly what they get paid. There has to be some incentives for working hard, excelling at your trade and always giving 100% and doing what is needed to advance. Many of the people, not all, that have stayed on, have stayed on because they had no other skill. Their job is simple and only have a few things that are necessary to keep their job which in this case is remembering to point with two fingers, being able to count up to 6 accurately, being nice to the guest and showing up. Unless you can do some other more significant things that is the value you have to the employer. No more and usually legally no less. Those that constantly utter the words, I'll do more when they pay me more, will never get to experience either.

dreday3

Well, I get a yearly bonus. But it isn’t specifically for Christmas.

Consider yourself lucky to have a pension, that’s a unicorn for those of us under 40.

I can promise you most of us over 40 don't get one either!
My father and my sister both had government jobs - they still (or will) get their salary and yearly 3% increases until they pass.

Ayla

What difference does it make. I don't know the whole story so it is time off with pay? Or time off without pay? How many people on the lower levels of any business can just take time off when they are scheduled or needed if it isn't for an emergency. Either scenario would be a normal situation for any business. I'll bet that person could get the time off without pay, but if they are just going for some semi-formal set up and they will lose a needed days pay, then that applies to a great many people in this country. Crap happens, I'm sure they still get whatever acclaim that comes with that and I don't think a first year CM would be getting an anniversary ceremony and those that had sufficient time in service would probably be making more money and chose to not go because of the loss of a days pay.

Where have all you folks been living? In a flower filled village with constant rainbows and Unicorns? No company, no matter how much we think it should be that way, owes anyone anything except the agreed to pay for the hours they work. CM's in a place like Disney are attached to a revolving door. They come and go at lightening lane speed. The levels are completely unskilled and their worth, individually to the company is exactly what they get paid. There has to be some incentives for working hard, excelling at your trade and always giving 100% and doing what is needed to advance. Many of the people, not all, that have stayed on, have stayed on because they had no other skill. Their job is simple and only have a few things that are necessary to keep their job which in this case is remembering to point with two fingers, being able to count up to 6 accurately, being nice to the guest and showing up. Unless you can do some other more significant things that is the value you have to the employer. No more and usually legally no less. Those that constantly utter the words, I'll do more when they pay me more, will never get to experience either.
Thank god the company DH works for does not believe that utter crap.

JoeCamel

They treat the APs the same

Goofyernmost

Thank god the company DH works for does not believe that utter crap.
Well, you should thank someone, because it has surprisingly been the fact for many years now. The only time the companies give out more then what was originally agree to is if it will help their bottom line. That's the way it mostly was for many years and still is for the majority. Bonus's are usually significant for smaller labor intensive companies with fewer employees that deal with high mark up situations. If someone is lucky enough to get into those situations (usually skilled positions) where the employer feels that they should share the wealth, then people in that situation should consider themselves very fortunate. and now that we have all decided to give the big boys all the power, it is going to be happening even less. Executives are mostly hired with a listing of perks and one of those perks is bonus's if all is going well. Lower grade employees do not have that as a listed perk.

An argument can be made that union locations are not allowed to give bonus's to union members unless all have an equal share. That is not something that is justifiable, so they give none. However, as a side note, unions also usually make regular work pay higher, not everyplace, that more then makes up for the bonus's. Some give out bonus's because they are fair and also because they feel it will help increase production. Others don't because they are greedy and don't want to share and other did give and had it bite them in the butt later on. Nothing is black and white in the world of business. Business is a unique world that defies gravity. Nothing trickles down everything trickles up and only comes down when pressure is applied. Common sense seldom enters into it.

plutofan15

Correct me if I am wrong. Doesn't Disney close MK to invite cast members who have reached a milestone work anniversary date to spend the evening in the park along with their family once a year? Granted this is not an annual "bonus" for all employees but the cost and lost revenue is a pretty big nut. And do not cast members receive free admission into the parks along with other discounts? If bonuses have been paid out over the years, no longer receiving them would indeed be a disappointment. I must say that the perks cast members receive are much better than the vast majority of what other employers give.

plutofan15

The world has changed (thankfully) since the 1960’s and 1970’s, unless, of course, you still get a ham from your employer. A ham.
When I worked at UPS back in the 80s, they gave every employee a frozen turkey. Worked at one of distribution/sorting centers. About a week before Thanksgiving, as you left after your shift they handed you frozen turkey.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom