Chapek and D'Amaro continue the tradition of no bonus or Christmas gift for Disney's Cast Members

jlhwdw

Sorry but the same could be said for every company out there.

Everyone could use the cash more than the turkey dinner cooked by the cafeteria. That's just not what happens.
I agree. My examples absolutely extend to any company. Maybe it's because in my post-Disney career I work for a company that rewards us with a modest but noticeable holiday bonus, an incentive for a yearly merit based bonus or extra PTO, and a $50 appreciation supermarket gift card.

We don't get mass produced trinkets that will collect dust on a shelf. We don't get food service quality cafeteria style holiday meals. We get extra cash and PTO. Easier for them, beloved by us.

ToTBellHop

I'm not 100% sure but I think that picture was photoshopped. ;)
Yes, the background was changed. He doesn’t do nature. He was actually riding the horse to Chick-fil-A. Moments later, anguish set in when he remembered it was Sunday.

1640229051433.png

mhaftman7

I don’t know. I feel like I’m in the minority of people who EXPECT a bonus. Especially with a large corporation with hundreds of thousands of employees globally. That number adds up quick. You could spend millions on what people would consider a slap in the face. If you rely on a Xmas bonus to pay your bills, you are probably living outside your means. I guess I just don’t understand people who complain about their job acting like they are forced to be where they are. You CHOSE to work where you are. You continue to CHOOSE to work where you are. If you feel like you are worth more, go and get it!

Happy Christmahannukwanzakah everyone!

Lilofan

I agree. My examples absolutely extend to any company. Maybe it's because in my post-Disney career I work for a company that rewards us with a modest but noticeable holiday bonus, an incentive for a yearly merit based bonus or extra PTO, and a $50 appreciation supermarket gift card.

We don't get mass produced trinkets that will collect dust on a shelf. We don't get food service quality cafeteria style holiday meals. We get extra cash and PTO. Easier for them, beloved by us.
For some a bonus would be a complimentary pass to the parks pretty much anytime of the year. What job has a perk like working all day at Disney , then if one feels like it go to MK or Epcot in the evening for dinner and fireworks?

Goofyernmost

I know plenty of front line hourly Cast Members that could not attend their own service anniversary event or other recognition event because 1) their area would not grant them the time off and they had to work during the event and 2) they simply could not afford the cost of a free event (dress clothes, extra childcare, transportation costs, etc)

The yearly gifts they used to give were nice, but ultimately they did not benefit those who needed something the most. Sure the ornaments or books were nice and better than nothing. But honestly just take cost of production for these items (or the local area "parties") and just give the front line Cast Members the cash. Let them decide the best way to utilize their holiday gift. If you are struggling to put food on the table for your family, do you really care about a Disney branded Christmas ornament or book?
I'm having a problem accepting that situation as real. I think it is a story made up sarcastically or just because it sounded like it might create a little sympathy. But, it doesn't really matter. As soon as anyone can point out the person that is putting the gun to their head forcing them to work for Disney I will react. There currently are thousands of jobs outside of WDW that are going unfilled. Most of them pay more and have more definite working times. They are there voluntarily and seriously if anyone expects a Christmas bonus is living in a fantasy world that even Disney cannot create. There are so many diversities in the Disney staff that it is likely that there are many there that are not Christian and don't recognize Christmas as their holiday anyway.

I mentioned before that I went my entire career without a single bonus, Christmas or otherwise, Oh, wait I did get a free Turkey for a few years. We were given the option of accepting it or donating it to the food shelf. Which I did because some people needed it more than I did.

eliza61nyc

My bonus target is 15% of my salary, but we usually exceed that. And I have a pension.
How large is your company Cap?? I do think size plays a part. My company got rid of pensions in 2012, I was grandfathered on but anyone hired after that does not get one. I also am the last that gets retiree Healthcare although I just got a letter saying that they are no longer offering dental so I'll have to get dental out of pocket next year.

Piebald

People still get bonuses in Christmas gifts from their employers? I have not gotten a Christmas bonus or gift in my entire 20-year career working for various companies.
Some people do. My sister just got $500 and her company actually kind of stinks.

Piebald

To those saying that Disney is too big for bonuses ...lul....my company has over 120k people and we get bonuses. And it isnt a few hundred bucks either. Disney could afford a gift card for their hourly employees. Give me a break.

But alas with all the lamenting here there are still so many people who want to work there. The moving to Orlando groups on FB full of people ready to leave wherever they're from and come here and work at Disney while commuting from Ocala. It is mind boggling.

jlhwdw

I'm having a problem accepting that situation as real.
Which part? The part about Cast Members not being granted time off to attend their own service anniversary (true). Or the part about a small but definite group of Cast Members that can not afford to attend a service celebration for the reasons outlined (also true).

Dan Deesnee

I've been doing what I do for 17 years and I've never got any kind of Christmas bonus or gift. Granted I get regular bonus and commission checks every two months and I mostly work for publicly traded companies.

I wonder if private companies are more likely to give out these gifts and bonuses during Christmas?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
To those saying that Disney is too big for bonuses ...lul....my company has over 120k people and we get bonuses. And it isnt a few hundred bucks either. Disney could afford a gift card for their hourly employees. Give me a break.

But alas with all the lamenting here there are still so many people who want to work there. The moving to Orlando groups on FB full of people ready to leave wherever they're from and come here and work at Disney while commuting from Ocala. It is mind boggling.
We should probably differentiate between a standard bonus built into your yearly salary based on yearly goals and a Christmas bonus just because. The former is common. The latter, ehh.

el_super

And BTW, in the past they have given gifts at Christmas that were actually worth something. A coffee table book on Disney animation and a watch come to mind.

What year was that?

Yeah, a lot of the cast are working when those things take place, or it is their day off. Not saying they don't happen, but they fall a long way short of making the front line cast feel like they are worth anything.

That doesn't mean they don't happen. Disney could be giving out $50 gift cards and some people would still ask why it isn't $100.

Maybe something like Disney+, ESPN+ or Genie+? Things that cost the company VERY little, but would be a nice gesture to the cast members that are going through a rough time at work.

Every CM has an option each year of selecting a free subscription to Disney+ or a Main Entrance Pass. To be honest, that they have kept the Main Entrance passes as an option for CMs is quite amazing.

For some a bonus would be a complimentary pass to the parks pretty much anytime of the year. What job has a perk like working all day at Disney , then if one feels like it go to MK or Epcot in the evening for dinner and fireworks?

In addition to the Main Entrance Pass (if a CM chooses it), Parks CMs still get Complimentary Admission tickets in the winter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom