Waterstar Orlando Project

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
IMHO doesnt make any material change to the appearance at the end of that parking lot which I've been in many times. Maybe a walkway to the Texas Roadhouse might make Sanaa finally get rid of that awful Boerwust sausage.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3500124,-81.6091793,911m/data=!3m1!1e3

The Western side has been growing for years... there are water park resorts to the North (Orange Lake) and South (Margaritaville) of AKL.

If you want to see how vacation homes at a resort can be, Margaritaville puts DVC to shame.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Was it next to their property line when they built it?

I honestly have no idea, but I know they have sold some land.

Probably the 30 acres mentioned in the above

castlecake2.0

Good job Bob I.
According to my research the plot of land being developed for this was never part of WDW. The housing referenced in the article was built years ago, across from the maingate office complex. A row of trees will do the trick in hiding this.

Also Disney has bought about 1,000 acres of land in the last couple years around Lake Reedy and Celebration so they are still being somewhat strategic with their buffer.

alphac2005

Have you ever been to Orlando?

it’s a blight based on service jobs…so…yeah…I doA
And there are many areas of the metro that are high income, high paying jobs that have nothing to do with the service sector. Some might be shocked to know that real people live in communities that have no connection to the tourism industry here. Metro Orlando isn’t the Orlando of 20 years ago let alone 10 years ago.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And there are many areas of the metro that are high income, high paying jobs that have nothing to do with the service sector. Some might be shocked to know that real people live in communities that have no connection to the tourism industry here. Metro Orlando isn’t the Orlando of 20 years ago let alone 10 years ago.
Right…the “up and coming town” brought to you by the Orlando chamber of commerce.

without looking…are you about 31?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think most of those have been environment trade-offs for space they have reclassified.
They made no secret to advertise those buys as just that. It’s not a buffer. If someone wants to buy those tracts for more 20th century restauranting…they can sell it for a nice profit and buy cheaper/more remote swampland to offset that.

“Walt is dead…let’s make some money!”
Bob Chapek to the BOD
- every morning via zoom

UNCgolf

According to my research the plot of land being developed for this was never part of WDW. The housing referenced in the article was built years ago, across from the maingate office complex. A row of trees will do the trick in hiding this.

Also Disney has bought about 1,000 acres of land in the last couple years around Lake Reedy and Celebration so they are still being somewhat strategic with their buffer.

It's hard to know where exactly the 30 acres are. Looking at Google Maps it seems like this is the plot because it's described as west of AKL and on 192. This upcoming development is the only possible location on Maps, unless it's land that had already been developed in the 15 year interval. It seems strange that they would have owned land further west than this plot but not this plot, though, and even then it appears the only other option would be where Publix is. I have no idea when that was built.

Regardless, a mistake was made at some point. Either land was sold that should not have been sold, or the Animal Kingdom Lodge was built right up against the property line.

Also, this development is going to be right up against the tennis and basketball courts there at AKL, although I doubt they get much use.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's hard to know what the 30 acres are in that article -- just looking at Google Maps it seems like it would have to be either this plot of land, one right next to the All-Star Resorts, or one right next to the Wide World of Sports complex if the land is actually on 192. Unless it's land that's already been developed in the 15 year interval, which is also possible.

New Waterstar lot is not the same - New Waterstar lot is Parcel ID - 33-24-27-0000-00-010 in Orange County.
Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 12.19.41 AM.png

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wonder what plot they sold, then. I guess where the Publix is now? Either that or the description in the article was inaccurate.

It also means they made a mistake building AKL in that location -- for multiple reasons, really.
I don't claim to know how they work out all the parcels.... for sure the waterstar lot is multiple parcels with limited history. Probably takes more insight then the simple property search :)

Vegas Disney Fan

$3.5 million to buy that land in 2019. To think, even if Disney had to pay a premium, protecting AKL’s theme and sightlines would have cost barely anything.
Looking at an aerial map there will be a row of trees, then the parking lot, then another row of trees, then Osceola parkway, then another row of trees between AK and this new project. It also looks like only one of the 15 sections of the hotel will face the project due to how wavy the building is.

In a perfect world Disney should have bought the land but I’m not sure it’s going to even be visible from 99% of the rooms once finished. Maybe from the top floor of a couple rooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom