News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

erasure fan1

These seem to be made specifically because of the hotel itself to give back stories. If I have to read a comic book to get the history behind the starcruiser, they've dropped the ball IMO.
Wouldn't it be cool if star wars had a huge backstory, that millions upon millions of people loved and adored for 40+ years, that they could have used for galaxys edge and the hotel? Man, wouldn't that have been great.

:cautious:

doctornick

A race we've NEVER seen in Star Wars? And of course she has to be blue because, y'know, this shows she's an alien and not human.

Isn’t she the same race as Thrawn? He’s been in Rebels and I think will be in Ahsoka (he was mentioned by name by her in The Mandalorian)

edit: I see this was already mentioned.

matt9112

Idk i feel like this concept is just tough. At this price point it needs to be a super high end and detailed HOWEVER its hard to do that and still be a fully functional hotel where somebody inevitably wants pizza at 2am ect. I feel and my opinion here a star wars themed normalish hotel at say a slight price premium over poly or contemporary. Think bungalow rates but its a completely normalish hotel (no larp) just theming.

Incomudro

Idk i feel like this concept is just tough. At this price point it needs to be a super high end and detailed HOWEVER its hard to do that and still be a fully functional hotel where somebody inevitably wants pizza at 2am ect. I feel and my opinion here a star wars themed normalish hotel at say a slight price premium over poly or contemporary. Think bungalow rates but its a completely normalish hotel (no larp) just theming.
I said a long time ago that it's difficult to justify the cost of a luxury space cruise far above that of real world sea cruises when the rooms that guests are staying in are plastic clad cabins.
That may say "space" but it doesn't feel luxurious.
Also, though I'm no fan of real cruises - but they offer a lot, food recreation, outdoor air and views - essentially around the clock.
The Halycon is sparce.

GimpYancIent

I could kind of get them not playing Star Wars music if they went all in and delivered a real living land like they promised.
Argument being that "real life" doesn't have a theme song playing in it.
Then again, movies do - and no one argues that a movie is less convincing because there's music in it.
It's actually the opposite.
Part of feeling a degree of immersion in Star Wars is the music. In the movies there is music, if Star Wars was real life OK there is no music, but the idea is to make you feel like you are in the movie.

yensidtlaw1969

Disney: "Okay, so we know you didn't love that last one, but THIS will SURELY knock your socks off!"
Everyone: "How does it keep getting WORSE??"

At what point do they decide to do themselves and us the favor of some serious retooling? Because it seems like absolutely nothing we've seen yet has hit with the public. Some execs must be pulling their hair out.

doctornick

So I am curious as to how much droids will be used on the ship. One of the things that I was expecting was a heavy use of droids - fixed AA ones for atmosphere used to "run the ship", but also a number of puppet ones for kinetics and show to give the ship life. Given the price tag of the ship, I expected to see a lot of them but with promotions not really showing much... I'd like to believe they are just holding it back, but with every piece of promotion being underwhelming, I'm increasingly concerned that Disney is just totally mailing it in. I really thought they would be going all out on this but I can't really understand what is going on with the execution.

Also, one thing I would think would be interesting is if they have some random (not story essential) aliens that are also passengers or crew on the ship that vary from voyage to voyage. Just have some random Rodian or Trandoshan or Mon Calamari or Gungan, etc. just show up for a dinner or a show and not really be a focal point but just be there for atmosphere.

GimpYancIent

My point, in which I was replying to, was that not only was it not a "new" alien species created by Disney, but that it was first introduced by a character played by George Lucas himself.
Yes! and my point is that it has all been poorly presented for this experience. Rather than being interesting, an enhancement it's the opposite.

TrojanUSC

There's many elements I'm fascinated by in this endeavor, one of which is how they handle mundane guest requests. For example, what if little Tiffany wants to visit Magic Kingdom with her mom while dad and son play space dress up? What if guests are hungry at 3AM and want to UberEats some McDonalds? At what point do CMs break character to deal with guest issues?

The "garden" to alleviate claustrophobic guests issues is literally a small prison yard. Baffling.

Skywise

It's strange that Disney, for all their "story telling" acumen, didn't introduce these characters in the Mandalorian or maybe the Bad Batch - wouldn't even have to have been the same actors. Just a cameo of the character with a throw away line. Like the commander could've been military and got into a fight and said something like "Thats it - I'm running cruise ships from now on". Or having the musical performer performing at one of the bars.

Nothing seems to mesh with anything else - even this starcruiser doesn't seem to fit with Galaxy's Edge and neither seem to fit with any of the movies...

It's like Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar has more context...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom