News Return of the Walt Disney World tram fleet tracker

peter11435

It also seems like something that labor wise is incredibly low to run. 5 trams out and about at each park with 2 CM’s manning each one… that’s 40 employees for any given shift. Not a lot.
That’s 40 positions. Factoring additional employees to cover breaks and such you’re pushing closer to 50 CM’s… at a time. Coverings shifts and days off you’re looking at well over 100 people needed.

Goofyernmost

Increase there pay scale?
Does anyone know if they require CDL's to drive those? If so it isn't all that simple to just throw anyone on them. They require a little bit of skill to drive them around safely. If that is so, that might be a little more difficult to find drivers that probably went a different direction during Covid. They require CDL for the buses and like most states, even Florida that doesn't seem to care about anyone's safety, anything over 12 passengers usually requires a CDL.

Irie

Does anyone know if they require CDL's to drive those? If so it isn't all that simple to just throw anyone on them. They require a little bit of skill to drive them around safely. If that is so, that might be a little more difficult to find drivers that probably went a different direction during Covid. They require CDL for the buses and like most states, even Florida that doesn't seem to care about anyone's safety, anything over 12 passengers usually requires a CDL.
I don't think so. I believe they even use the college students. Perhaps because the vehicle is not licensed for the road.

disneygeek90

That’s 40 positions. Factoring additional employees to cover breaks and such you’re pushing closer to 50 CM’s… at a time. Coverings shifts and days off you’re looking at well over 100 people needed.
50-100 in the grand scheme of their daily work force doesn’t seem like a lot. I get it’s still something that needs to be scheduled and accounted for but it’s wild it’s been this long.

Baloo62

The parking fee for my one vehicle alone paid for at least one hour of tram employee pay, if not two. Disney should have reduced the parking cost by at least 33% for not offering the guest convenience of tram service. But we all know those blood-thirsty vampires would never even consider that as an ethical compensation. Making the elderly and physically-challenged walk half a mile in the blistering sun unnecessarily....gotta love that selective Disney "inclusion".

Last edited:

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I don't think so. I believe they even use the college students. Perhaps because the vehicle is not licensed for the road.
A Florida neighbor's son is a CM and went through training in September. He is 22 and does not have a CDL.
50-100 in the grand scheme of their daily work force doesn’t seem like a lot. I get it’s still something that needs to be scheduled and accounted for but it’s wild it’s been this long.
In talking with same neighbor's son I would guess the number is much higher. You have 2 CMs on each tram. Plus a CM at each of the 2 or 3 pickup/dropoff points. Let's say times 6 trams running. Then add in 6 or 7 CMs at the park dropoff/pickup. That is 36. Two shifts per day is 72 times four parks equals 288. If you think of days off and such we are looking at 400ish. This is very rough math but he said they were training for three positions. Tram driver, assistant tram drivers, and load/unload. I am making up the positions. I have no idea what the actual name is.

disneygeek90

A Florida neighbor's son is a CM and went through training in September. He is 22 and does not have a CDL.

In talking with same neighbor's son I would guess the number is much higher. You have 2 CMs on each tram. Plus a CM at each of the 2 or 3 pickup/dropoff points. Let's say times 6 trams running. Then add in 6 or 7 CMs at the park dropoff/pickup. That is 36. Two shifts per day is 72 times four parks equals 288. If you think of days off and such we are looking at 400ish. This is very rough math but he said they were training for three positions. Tram driver, assistant tram drivers, and load/unload. I am making up the positions. I have no idea what the actual name is.
Wouldn’t the obvious solution be to cut back certain staff or trams rather than all staff? Obviously parks haven’t been 100% normal pre covid capacity over the past 18 months. 3 or 4 trams could have probably sufficed. Maybe don’t need one at the load and unload. Something would have been better than nothing.

Of all the things needed to operate a park the fact that this had gone on as long as it did is just silly but they have no problem snagging $15 a person for your ride on ROTR.

PaulZ

In thinking about this and the new Disney model of being cheap and showing contempt for guests, it hit me that with all of their new data driven metrics they may put an attendance threshold on the need for trams and only run them when they reach that.

“So what if you have a bad back! Smaller portion sizes in the restaurants and a few thousand more feet of walking will do you some good”
- Robert & Joshua

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I suppose if they classify them as an attraction (ride) they can legally get away with it. That said, however, even though they don't go very fast and they aren't all that hard to drive you want a good driver that can drive smoothly and have the awareness and judgement to make sure that they allow enough room and general space to operate them and not endanger the riders or others.

Let's face it, none of us really know why they have waited so long to provide a service that is crucial to so many people like myself. Those parking lots are huge and many people, like myself that have a minor disability but not enough to warrant taking up a handicapped spot cannot walk that far and in the case of MK your still not in the park once you make that trek. It especially egregious after charging $25 to park there. They have had almost a year to train someone if necessary. It is shameful.

Wilkie

I expect the parking fees will now go up like they have in Disneyland - but will they only go up for Magic Kingdom until they have the trams at the other parking lots? I guess not.

Ayla

I have never seen 6 trams running at the same time at TTC, let alone any of the other parks. TTC will usually have 2-3 and the other three parks 2 at a time.

castlecake2.0

I have never seen 6 trams running at the same time at TTC, let alone any of the other parks. TTC will usually have 2-3 and the other three parks 2 at a time.
Depends how many lots are in use. TTC and EPCOT both have two separate tram routes which could have 2-3 operating on both depending on day/time.

bpiper

Only MK approaches 6 trams running. At the rest of the parks, depending upon time of day, its either 2 or 3 trams.

So 6 + 3 + 3 + 3= 15 trams
2 People on the tram, 1 at load = 3 people per tram = 45 people + 4 people at unload = 49 people to operated 15 trams.
Figure 1 break replacement person per tram = 15 for breaks. So total of 64 people.
Figure 2 shifts per day = 128 people to pay daily.
128 people x $15 hour x 8 hours per day = $15,360 for labor...

So at $25 to park, it would take roughly 614 cars to pay the the tram labor for the day.

This analysis doesn't include fuel, maintenance costs or fringe benefit costs.

G00fyDad

Only MK approaches 6 trams running. At the rest of the parks, depending upon time of day, its either 2 or 3 trams.

So 6 + 3 + 3 + 3= 15 trams
2 People on the tram, 1 at load = 3 people per tram = 45 people + 4 people at unload = 49 people to operated 15 trams.
Figure 1 break replacement person per tram = 15 for breaks. So total of 64 people.
Figure 2 shifts per day = 128 people to pay daily.
128 people x $15 hour x 8 hours per day = $15,360 for labor...

So at $25 to park, it would take roughly 614 cars to pay the the tram labor for the day.

This analysis doesn't include fuel, maintenance costs or fringe benefit costs.

That would be these cars right here. ;) Still plenty left over to pay for all of the other parks labor for the day from just the cars in this lot alone.
123.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom