Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmascari

now we are into politics so that’s all I’m gonna say.
We were, but it was all very broad, general, and definitively not actually opinion directed. It's was pretty safe and very civil. :)

Imagine if Disney Corporate couldn't make a decision about something and just had a vague idea of it. Then, if MK, Epcot, AK, and HS all created their own unique and different implementations to move towards that goal.

The threads would be endless here, longer than even this one. There would be those that are sure MK is doing it "right" and the rest are all ridiculous. While others would be AK fans as the "right way". The contrarians would be all over that the goal wasn't even right so they were all doing it wrong differently.

PS: We all know a scrappy group of scrappy managers at Typhoon Lagoon would be the only ones with the real "right" solution. :p

DisneyCane

The ping pong of executive order only actions and the inability of Congress to ever clarify and deal with the issues in a more permanent fashion is definitely a problem. I'm not sure it's the Courts that need to fix it, so much as Congress dealing the underlying issues that drive orders instead.
I agree. The courts need to send the message to Congress to fix it.

If there were term limits in Congress then maybe they'd tackle the issues instead of trying to straddle the fence to keep getting re-elected. They certainly aren't going to pass a term limit law on themselves and I don't think the states will band together and make it a constitutional amendment.

Therefore, we'll probably continue to see executive orders and court challenges of the orders for the rest of our lives.

mmascari

...Congress to fix it.
We could debate for hours on the best way to fix it, but alas that likely would devolve into very political discussion. That they need to fix it is a fairly safe topic, the how is more exciting.

Therefore, we'll probably continue to see executive orders and court challenges of the orders for the rest of our lives.
This is probably true. It's certainly the Executive branch historic direction to gather more and more into itself without needing Congress.

Diamond Dot

I don't understand the American political system, the party that won should govern without having to rely on the losing party. Bipartisan politics rarely works. It's like giving all the kids who ran the egg and spoon race at school sports a prize, even the ones who finished a long distance behind the winner.

Vegas Disney Fan

I don't understand the American political system, the party that won should govern without having to rely on the losing party. Bipartisan politics rarely works. It's like giving all the kids who ran the egg and spoon race at school sports a prize, even the ones who finished a long distance behind the winner.
That would cause massive policy swings every couple years, it would create chaos.

DisneyCane

It isn't a "party based" system. It's "supposed" to be that the Senators represent the interest of their states and the Congressmen/women represent the interests of their constituents.

It isn't like what I understand of the system in the UK where the majority party picks the Prime Minister. Here, the President can be (and often is) from the opposite party of the one that controls one or both houses of congress.

Nubs70

That's a good point. The inability of congress most of the time to actually do anything is what drive the increases in executive orders.
The inability of Congress to do anything must result in them doing nothing. That is the design of a Constitutional Republic.

The role of the Executive Branch is to enforce the status quo.

Flugell

Thanks to everyone who has explained the situation regarding mandates versus the courts!
I found the justification for not allowing it to remain in place till the courts decided because vaccinations could not be removed from people very interesting. However it is equally true that people who are infected and die as a result of non vaccinated contact can not be brought back to life! This is hopefully a much smaller number though.
I now feel I have a better understanding of the contrasting points of view. The Disney thread is educational as well as allowing me to still feel connected to Disney from afar!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Essentially, it is recognized that the minority still have rights and a voice, and having majority rule leads to one group imposing their will on the minority without regard. Some type of consensus/debate is supposed to be required to avoid tyranny from the majority.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Essentially, it is recognized that the minority still have rights and a voice, and having majority rule leads to one group imposing their will on the minority without regard. Some type of consensus/debate is supposed to be required to avoid tyranny from the majority.
One of the major problems we have nowadays is that the minority is increasingly vocal and sue happy to get their way, thus negating the majority. I would be willing to bet that the majority of guests to WDW would have zero problems with showing their vaccination status to get a wrist band, and thus be allowed to do certain things that others cannot. But we all know that the vocal minority would sue and claim all kinds of nonsense so that it doesn't happen.

correcaminos

Could you please name the newspaper/magazine etc where this was published? Thank you.

Edit - @helenabear has provided the source.
Admittedly I couldn't find it anywhere else. I did see a few of the thoughts in many other articles though. Like this article stated how they hadn't admitted anyone.

"Dr. Angelique Coetzee told the BBC that neither she nor her colleagues had admitted anyone who had the strain to the hospital so far. Her patients had experienced extreme fatigue but no loss of taste or smell, which are often telltale symptoms of Covid-19, she said."

Gringrinngghost

Breaking from Associated Press:

WASHINGTON (AP) — A person in California became the first in the U.S. to have an identified case of the COVID-19 omicron variant, U.S. officials said Wednesday as scientists continue to study the risks posed by the new strain of the virus.

The Biden administration moved late last month to restrict travel from Southern Africa where the variant was first identified and had been widespread. Clusters of cases have also been identified in about two dozen other nations. Two U.S. officials spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they could not speak on the record.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is taking steps to tighten U.S. testing rules for travelers from overseas, including requiring a test for all travelers within a day of boarding a flight to the U.S. regardless of vaccination status. It was also considering mandating post-arrival testing.

Officials said those measures would only “buy time” for the country to learn more about the new variant and to take appropriate precautions, but that given its transmissibility its arrival in the U.S. was inevitable.

Much remains unknown about the new variant, including whether it is more contagious than previous strains, whether it makes people more seriously ill, and whether it can thwart the vaccine. Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top U.S. infectious disease expert, said more would be known about the omicron strain in two to four weeks as scientists grow and test lab samples of the virus.

The announcement of the first U.S. case comes before President Joe Biden plans to outline his strategy on Thursday to combat the virus over the winter. Biden has tried to quell alarm over the omicron variant, saying it was a cause for concern but “not a cause for panic.”

Biden and public health officials have grown more urgent in their pleas for more Americans to get vaccinated — and for those who have been vaccinated to get booster shots to maximize their protection against the virus.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Breaking from Associated Press:

WASHINGTON (AP) — A person in California became the first in the U.S. to have an identified case of the COVID-19 omicron variant, U.S. officials said Wednesday as scientists continue to study the risks posed by the new strain of the virus.

The Biden administration moved late last month to restrict travel from Southern Africa where the variant was first identified and had been widespread. Clusters of cases have also been identified in about two dozen other nations. Two U.S. officials spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they could not speak on the record.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is taking steps to tighten U.S. testing rules for travelers from overseas, including requiring a test for all travelers within a day of boarding a flight to the U.S. regardless of vaccination status. It was also considering mandating post-arrival testing.

Officials said those measures would only “buy time” for the country to learn more about the new variant and to take appropriate precautions, but that given its transmissibility its arrival in the U.S. was inevitable.

Much remains unknown about the new variant, including whether it is more contagious than previous strains, whether it makes people more seriously ill, and whether it can thwart the vaccine. Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top U.S. infectious disease expert, said more would be known about the omicron strain in two to four weeks as scientists grow and test lab samples of the virus.

The announcement of the first U.S. case comes before President Joe Biden plans to outline his strategy on Thursday to combat the virus over the winter. Biden has tried to quell alarm over the omicron variant, saying it was a cause for concern but “not a cause for panic.”

Biden and public health officials have grown more urgent in their pleas for more Americans to get vaccinated — and for those who have been vaccinated to get booster shots to maximize their protection against the virus.
Yep. It was only a matter of time.

Vaccinated person. Mild symptoms which are improving. All close contacts tested negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom