News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyK72

There are DVC locations that aren’t at WDW, right? could one not choose to use them somewhere other than WDW if they didn’t want to lose them? The resort may still require them, but whatever activities you are doing in that local area may not.

Or use the DVC points and then go to Universal or other Orlando area attractions that don’t require masks. I think there’s more choices here than losing the points or wearing a mask in the parks.
Trying to use points at a different DVC resort within 30 days of them expiring (that's the situation that I was describing) is pretty tough. You're talking about rebooking hotel and airfare for let's say two weeks away...that's difficult regarding finding availability and expensive. And like you said, since they're a Disney Resort, Vero and Hilton Head may still require masks at the resort which is a deal breaker for some folks.

Angel Ariel

Trying to use points at a different DVC resort within 30 days of them expiring (that's the situation that I was describing) is pretty tough.You're talking about rebooking hotel and airfare for let's say two weeks away...that's difficult regarding finding availability and expensive. And like you said, since they're a Disney Resort, Vero and Hilton Head may still require masks at the resort which is a deal breaker for some folks.
Thank you for further clarifying this part, I was more thinking at this point the mask situation has been around long enough to plan for it ahead (as I know dvc requires), so not a last minute change. (I know that wasn’t the case for 2020).

I will also fully admit that as we have a child who is high risk, we’ve been very isolated since March 2020. While masks aren’t my favorite thing, with her being fully vaccinated as of a few weeks from now (dose 2 is this week), we are looking forward to the freedom to travel to our happy place even if that means we have to wear masks (as we do at home when we go to indoor locations anyway).

G00fyDad

Yeah that's a real Sophie's Choice... 🙄
Screenshot_20211128-094110_Samsung Internet.jpg

Polkadotdress

However, we were in that situation in October and choose to go even though we were there in Oct 2020 and hated it because masks were required everywhere then. DW cried when we got home because she hated our trip.

Can I ask…why the tears?

@Sirwalterraleigh, The first time we tried with masks (Oct 2020 when masks were required everywhere) it was very hot and humid and frankly it was a struggle to breath with them on outside. Granted we weren't the only people affected by this...we get that. However, we truly did not enjoy ourselves at all that trip and Food & Wine is always something she loves doing. Honestly the masks ruined the trip for us (our opinion). So when we got home, she cried because in her words, she hated our trip. As she reflected on everything, the wasted PTO time, the wasted DVC points, the airfare, the money spent at Disney for food and cocktails, etc. It made her cry that she/we paid to be miserable.

For this past trip (Oct 2021), although it was nice to be outside in the humidity without a mask, wearing them inside the hotel, on transportation, etc. was annoying because we don't have to do that in the burgh (nice incline pic by the way). She cried again when we got home for the same reason...she hated our trip because the masks ruined it for her.
i just really don't understand someone getting so upset about a mask. Some of us have to wear one until further notice for medical reasons. I wear mine at work, at the store, AT THE GYM WHILE WORKING OUT, on a recent cruise, at Disney.

Just accept it, and don't let it bother you.

G00fyDad

I'm glad you understand.
I understand that whining about a mask mandate when you're going to Disney World is kind of a non-issue. I have serious trouble breathing with asthma and scar tissue on my lungs and I have yet to even one time gripe about having to wear a mask into a store or any other business. I see perfectly healthy people with no trouble breathing whatsoever absolutely losing their minds over having to wear a mask while inside of a building. It's not a real hard choice. Wear a mask or stay home. We've done that very thing twice now. We have canceled two trips because of the mask mandates in place at the parks. However, we are still planning on keeping our trip in place for next year as long as the mask mandates are only for indoors. See? I made a choice.

TehPuddingMan

i just really don't understand someone getting so upset about a mask. Some of us have to wear one until further notice for medical reasons. I wear mine at work, at the store, AT THE GYM WHILE WORKING OUT, on a recent cruise, at Disney.

No. I haven’t worn a mask in months. They’re not required where I live and we have the lowest Covid rate in the nation.

Telling people to “just accept it” is just rude.

MikeyK72

In my opinion, it comes down to choice. In general, I believe that people do not like to be told what to do. Remember as a child your parents telling you to do something with the reason of "because I said so"? That doesn't sit well as a child nor does it as an adult.

I believe that people should have the choice to wear a mask or not depending on their various beliefs, fears, medical conditions, etc. Those who wear masks here in Pittsburgh still are doing it by choice and I applaud them for doing what's right for them. Same with those here who don't wear one, I applaud them too for deciding for themselves what is best.

DW and I can't "just accept it" when Disney makes health decisions for us. We'd like that choice. So I appreciate your advice but I don't think your advice will work for us.

MikeyK72

I understand that whining about a mask mandate when you're going to Disney World is kind of a non-issue. I have serious trouble breathing with asthma and scar tissue on my lungs and I have yet to even one time gripe about having to wear a mask into a store or any other business. I see perfectly healthy people with no trouble breathing whatsoever absolutely losing their minds over having to wear a mask while inside of a building. It's not a real hard choice. Wear a mask or stay home. We've done that very thing twice now. We have canceled two trips because of the mask mandates in place at the parks. However, we are still planning on keeping our trip in place for next year as long as the mask mandates are only for indoors. See? I made a choice.
I don't recall whining, was just explaining my particular situation with DVC and why it can be more complicated to cancel last minute.

We made a choice too. If nothing changes regarding Disney's mask policy, we're going to cancel our Jan trip just before the 30 day window so that our points are returned to our account and not pushed into holding. See, simple without whining.

G00fyDad

I don't recall whining, was just explaining my particular situation with DVC and why it can be more complicated to cancel last minute.

We made a choice too. If nothing changes regarding Disney's mask policy, we're going to cancel our Jan trip just before the 30 day window so that our points are returned to our account and not pushed into holding. See, simple without whining.
Wasn't really saying that you were the one whining.

But yeah, if you want to cancel your trip because they're going to make you wear a mask for just a few minutes while you're inside of a building then be my guest. I can respect that. What I don't respect are the people who go to Disney World knowing that there's a mask mandate in place and then intentionally trying to start crap with the CM that kindly asks them to put the mask up over their nose or even put it on their face.

Trauma

Are we still talking about masks?

Have you not seen the news?

There is a new variant the media is gleefully fear mongering , you can already read the breathless headlines everywhere.

Just spend your money elsewhere, I traveled to Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas and Missouri so far this week and I have not worn a mask once.

Most people have moved on, just avoid Disney and let it rot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom