News Disney plans to include a black Santa Claus at Walt Disney World this year as the company continues its diversity and inclusion program

Ayla

I think the real shame is that this is all Disneys diversity consultants can come up with - changing the race of a character. Its a wasted opportunity to learn more about other people and their cultures.
I would have loved some old school disney edutainment on how other cultures celebrate the holiday, their traditions, food etc it could be a really interesting experience and a good way to learn and try new things. Do this in the parks, on Disney plus, through National geographic etc - what is the history behind carribean Christmas cakes, why do religions celebrate festivals this time of year, how has migration changed celebrations around the world by blending different traditions it could be a really interesting way to celebrate.

Ive got nothing against black santa or any other kind of santa but it teaches me nothing new about those people and their cultures which to me should be the point of inclusiveness
See: Epcot International Festival of the Holidays.

Parker in NYC

I think the real shame is that this is all Disneys diversity consultants can come up with - changing the race of a character. Its a wasted opportunity to learn more about other people and their cultures.
I would have loved some old school disney edutainment on how other cultures celebrate the holiday, their traditions, food etc it could be a really interesting experience and a good way to learn and try new things. Do this in the parks, on Disney plus, through National geographic etc - what is the history behind carribean Christmas cakes, why do religions celebrate festivals this time of year, how has migration changed celebrations around the world by blending different traditions it could be a really interesting way to celebrate.

Ive got nothing against black santa or any other kind of santa but it teaches me nothing new about those people and their cultures which to me should be the point of inclusiveness
Black people celebrate Christmas and include Santa Claus in their festivities. Bam, culture right there.

LittleBuford

The problem with this approach is that it relegates anything non-Western and non-white to the realm of education, leaving mainstream entertainment and culture untouched. If some of the posts in this thread are anything to go by, having a black Santa is actually a much bolder, thought-provoking move than the alternative strategies you discuss.

To be clear, I think there is room for both approaches.

Vegas Disney Fan

See: Epcot International Festival of the Holidays.

No Africa though so it doesn’t teach anything about African Christmas traditions.

Black people celebrate Christmas and include Santa Claus in their festivities. Bam, culture right there.

Technically true but why shouldn’t black traditions receive the same attention as Norways traditions, or Canadas, or Germanys.. or the half dozen others World Showcase countries that are part of Festival of the holidays?

Disney has a whole park centered around Africa and the best they can come up with for Christmas inclusion is “let’s make Santa black”?

That’s just lazy. A 10 second Google search brought up…

If they truly want to be inclusive put some effort into it and actually be inclusive.

LittleBuford

No Africa though so it doesn’t teach anything about African Christmas traditions.

Technically true but why shouldn’t black traditions receive the same attention as Norways traditions, or Canadas, or Germanys.. or the half dozen others World Showcase countries that are part of Festival of the holidays?

Disney has a whole park centered around Africa and the best they can come up with for Christmas inclusion is “let’s make Santa black”?

That’s just lazy. A 10 second Google search brought up…

If they truly want to be inclusive put some effort into it and actually be inclusive.
But why does inclusiveness necessarily have to take us all the way to Africa? Is an inclusive gesture geared towards African Americans any less meaningful or important?

Vegas Disney Fan

But why does inclusiveness necessarily have to take us all the way to Africa? Is an inclusive gesture geared towards African Americans any less meaningful or important?
Less important, no… less meaningful… I’d argue yes.

A Santa in a Disney park being black is a simple gesture, it’ll likely be the highlight of some families entire vacation and that’s amazing. That kid will then go home and see dozens of jolly fat white Santa’s every time they turn on the tv for the next 6 weeks.

For the x% of guests at WDW who visit Santa (on the days he’s black) it’ll probably have an impact, for the people who walk around world showcase doing the festival it’ll likely be completely missed. Just feels like a last minute decision that wasn’t thought out for maximum impact.

Magenta Panther

I was not equating the two and you know it but thanks again for never failing to disappoint in your responses.

I know no such thing. You included all three descriptors in the same sentence. And some here, including you, equate a dislike of the muppets with having no soul or some other immature overreaction. I suspect that's what really bugs you about me. At any rate, maybe you should be a bit more careful when you hurl unfounded slurs at someone? Like maybe not do that at all?

BuddyThomas

I know no such thing. You included all three descriptors in the same sentence. And some here, including you, equate a dislike of the muppets with having no soul or some other immature overreaction. I suspect that's what really bugs you about me. At any rate, maybe you should be a bit more careful when you hurl unfounded slurs at someone? Like maybe not do that at all?
Yawn.

brb1006

Don’t mess with a treasured part of my childhood! Those aren’t even the original animatronics, Elfus 1.0 was even creepier. New Hampshire once had some really weird theme park attractions. Ever seen a video of Story Land’s Voyage to the Moon?
Skip to 9:05 for the POV portion:

The only weird ride still operating in NH is Canobie Lake’s Mine of Lost Souls:

I'm curious on how did the brief 2D animation near the end of the Voyage to the Moon ride?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Santa meet and greet returns this year to the EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays​

Holidays-Around-the-World-at-Epcot_Full_45481.jpg

GimpYancIent

Santa's helpers come in all kinds of descriptions. Not ground breaking news. For as far back as I remember there have been many different Santa's in many different locations globally and children are explained to by the parents that these are Santa's helpers. I have yet to see any confusion as far as that goes on the part of Littles. Have you ever done a Jingle Bell run? Explain this to the Littles.
1637951443181.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom