News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

ImperfectPixie

They won’t notice the cost, but it won’t feel like it was worth the hassle and to you and me it would feel like a level of hassle that was essentially 0.
If they go at all, it will be to check it off the list when their kids are small. Quick weekend trip, then never go back. My cousin's daughter is a perfect example. She took her 2-year-old to WDW for three days, didn't venture to the parks outside of MK and only spent a few hours there. Got the obligatory photo in front of the castle, and in her FB post said they're never going back. This is a woman who grew up traveling the world.

PaulZ

Alternatively, Josh D'Amaro stood in front of Disney's most loyal guests 36 hours earlier and excitedly announced that churros are back while knowing that they'd suspend AP sales once the convention was over
I said last week Chapek and him are good cop/bad cop. Chapek takes the blame while D’Amaro has a likable personality so he can fake caring about guests better. He’s just as bad as Chapek. Hopefully more and more people will start to see that.

TrainsOfDisney

Alternatively, Josh D'Amaro stood in front of Disney's most loyal guests 36 hours earlier and excitedly announced that churros are back while knowing that they'd suspend AP sales once the convention was over
I think Josh is more damaging than Chapek at this point. He smiles and acts like he cares about the fans and the product. He has some people fooled.

Chip Chipperson

Exactly. I’ve watched way too much pro wrestling and am into politics way too much to be fooled by this. I can spot bs like what he does a mile and a half away.

So what you're saying is that the reason the Harmony Barber Shop remains closed is that D'Amaro is plotting to help that coward Chapek "escape" through its window? I think I might be okay with that as long as Iger doesn't dress like Brutus Beefcake when it all goes down.

Tay

I’m so happy because I stupidly talked myself into getting one and now I can’t. They clearly don’t want annual pass holders on both coasts.

Tay

Cheapek is making it all about streaming and I think Iger was too. Hollywood and movies. But you are right the foundation on which supports their streaming and media content has been the parks. It's no coincidence that Universal exceeded expectations on their Parks revenue and attendance.
There was no reason for them to start a streaming service or acquire Fox to fattened their catalog other than the fact that they’re obsessed with power. Netflix is the largest streaming company and has never made a profit and is billions of dollars in debt but nope they have to be on top of everything.

Universal has had some duds but they’ve opened a new ride or 2 every year for a decade. Meanwhile it’s taking Disney 73 years to open a new ride every other 3 years that is scaled back from its plans. I bet they have plenty of merch too. To think they became such a force was because Disney turned down Harry Potter lol.

Chip Chipperson

There was no reason for them to start a streaming service or acquire Fox to fattened their catalog other than the fact that they’re obsessed with power. Netflix is the largest streaming company and has never made a profit and is billions of dollars in debt but nope they have to be on top of everything.

Universal has had some duds but they’ve opened a new ride or 2 every year for a decade. Meanwhile it’s taking Disney 73 years to open a new ride every other 3 years that is scaled back from its plans. I bet they have plenty of merch too. To think they became such a force was because Disney turned down Harry Potter lol.

The company has had cash flow issues, but has turned a profit.

Viewed from the lens of net income, Netflix has been performing well, with its net profits growing 3x from around $0.6 billion in 2017 to $1.9 billion in 2019. That said, the company has been burning cash, with free cash flows falling from -$2 billion in 2017 to -$3.3 billion in 2019. The sizeable difference between these two numbers is explained by how Netflix accounts for its content investments, amortizing (expensing) only a portion of its content each year on its income statement. The company’s cash spending on content is growing fast, rising from about $9 billion in 2017 to $14.6 billion in 2019. In comparison, the amortization of content has been relatively lower, growing from $6.2 billion to $9.2 billion over the same period. Netflix says that about 90% of the value of a show is expensed within 4 years of its debut.

The company certainly has had cash flow issues, but as of January 2021 no longer needs to borrow money.

So I can understand why Disney wanted to get into the streaming business. Why negotiate license fees with another company when you can get money directly from viewers and potentially make more money that way in the long run? I think it's too early to call the decision a bad one. One advantage Disney has over Netflix is that much of the content on Disney+ also generates box office revenues that cover the cost of production. Obviously there's a need for a healthy amount of original content, too, but anything Netflix has is either something they produced and has no box office revenue (or a small amount with outliers like "The Irishman") or they have to pay someone else for (again, no box office revenues). They have to get by on subscription revenue and product placement revenues like Coke in the most recent season of "Stranger Things."

Oddysey

What’s next take the parking away?

You know I do not think this is outside of the realm of possibility. When I received a survey from Disney asking why I choose not to renew my AP, there questions revolved mostly around 3 themes. The importance of overcrowding, the reservation system, and free parking at the parks. I’m not joking when I say free AP parking questions were a significant portion of a substantially large survey. Note that I marked free park parking as highly important when making a decision on a Florida resident AP.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom