Connections Cafe and Eatery

Epcot82Guy

Yup EU had to compete with World Showcase eateries, about 20 of the best themed restaurants anywhere many of which also had great and varied food. I think EU knew what they were up against and didn't even try. "This burger is convenient" was their offering. Connections might give it a go? Convenient and edible?
At the time (90s-early 2010s), that was actually the exact point. While the desire for varied food is higher today, you'd be surprised how many guests didn't want all the "exotic stuff". So EU and Liberty Inn gave the park the needed burger and fries for the kids. That has changed since then, but there was a guest sat reason back then (which I experienced personally when at The Land).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
At the time (90s-early 2010s), that was actually the exact point. While the desire for varied food is higher today, you'd be surprised how many guests didn't want all the "exotic stuff". So EU and Liberty Inn gave the park the needed burger and fries for the kids. That has changed since then, but there was a guest sat reason back then (which I experienced personally when at The Land).
Agreed. Sometimes you just want a burger. Not necessarily what Disney liked to call a burger for years, but you get the idea.

And… When did chicken strips make a comeback?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
We ate at EU (or whatever it was called) in
dfd4fee8b212c100e10efb6efe77159a-1.jpg

disneyC97

We all had a group experience of the worst cheeseburger ever at the Electric Umbrella... The food was dreadful. I never ate there early on in the 80s...wonder if like the entire core of the park, it was better once and then just got bad over the years...
Does anyone have any memories of that place having great food?
It was called “Stargate” from opening through the 1994 Innoventions debut, when I believe is when it got the EU redo. I recall purple umbrellas outside and views of the gardens and waterways in that area before they were paved over. I remember liking the food but was a kid lol

Disstevefan1

We all had a group experience of the worst cheeseburger ever at the Electric Umbrella... The food was dreadful. I never ate there early on in the 80s...wonder if like the entire core of the park, it was better once and then just got bad over the years...
Does anyone have any memories of that place having great food?
Agreed, I had a hockey puck on a bun there too. We can be hopeful they may serve better food in this new place, so we don't have both dreadful food and dreadful dacor..

dreday3

You're right. Disney is right to turn it into a hospital food court.
In today's COVID days, the more sanitary, germ free, virus free, it looks, the better.
We are not in 1984 anymore, that's for sure.

Hey, some hospital food courts are nice! :D

I was born in 73. It is not a bad thing to not design interiors as they were in the 70s, 80s or 90s. Those were some ugly decades for decor... (although 70s futuristic is always fun)

Disstevefan1

Hey, some hospital food courts are nice! :D

I was born in 73. It is not a bad thing to not design interiors as they were in the 70s, 80s or 90s. Those were some ugly decades for decor... (although 70s futuristic is always fun)
And some hospital food is better than they served at the Electric Umbrella 😀

I will say the new place is not awful.

It’s functional and maintainable and (what’s a word for the opposite of imaginative?)

Thelazer

I like the mural, a lot. Very Living With the Land but somewhere non-descript. (do you capitalize the T in "the" 🤔)

The mural is so out of place, it's not even funny.
Maybe if they stuck it in the land, it MIGHT kinda fit the theme.

But in a modern theme (or is it no theme??) fast casual eatery?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom