News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

ToTBellHop

As a DVC owner, the blockout dates didn't bother me since I avoid WDW (or travel in general) around major holidays anyway. What annoys me about the new passes is that they jacked the price of the Gold Pass by nearly $300 (renewed my Gold Pass at $611 + tax earlier this year and the new Sorcerer's Pass is currently $899 at the renewal rate) and are now charging $99 for PhotoPass when it used to be included (I believe it's subject to the same 15% reenewal discount, so $84.15 if renewing). So to get everything that I have in my current pass, I would need to pay $983.15 vs. $611. That's a 60.9% increase - or I can pay a "mere" 47.1% increase and get less than I get now.
But in that time, they’ve opened an enormous expansion with 1 rat ride and premiered 2 new fireworks spectaculars that are universally adored. And they are just getting started! Soon we will have shows and a parade that already existed but were collecting dust. Easily 47% more Magic in 2022. Answer the call!

I was able to become so much happier about the situation once I accepted that I are the Magic. And my son? He are the Magic! My other son? He are the Magic! My wife? She are the Magic!

Even the cats are the Magic 20% of the time. I don’t need Magic from Disney. I bring the Magic. Wherever I go, I have it in me. Just give me some pavement and area music.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
As a DVC owner, the blockout dates didn't bother me since I avoid WDW (or travel in general) around major holidays anyway. What annoys me about the new passes is that they jacked the price of the Gold Pass by nearly $300 (renewed my Gold Pass at $611 + tax earlier this year and the new Sorcerer's Pass is currently $899 at the renewal rate) and are now charging $99 for PhotoPass when it used to be included (I believe it's subject to the same 15% reenewal discount, so $84.15 if renewing). So to get everything that I have in my current pass, I would need to pay $983.15 vs. $611. That's a 60.9% increase - or I can pay a "mere" 47.1% increase and get less than I get now.
Oh, you'll get no argument from me that the price increase was gouging. We don't use PhotoPass at all, so no loss for us. We also don't visit either of the water parks (have never actually gone to either), so also no loss. It really just depends on each person's circumstances and what they are willing to pay to continue to go. It's still a value to us, but we know that it isn't for a lot of people now.

We also understand that it's a lot different for families with kids. Ours are grown and have to pay their way, so it's only the 2 of us that we pay for. We would definitely have to take a harder look if we still had to pay for both kids.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
APs have never been about the perks for me. They are about saving money depending upon my plans that year. Sorcerer Pass saves us money this year. I’ll take the win.

I‘m happy about the Easter shift. I would MUCH prefer going for 10 days at Easter (our plan) since Spring Break is a full week than 4 days at Thanksgiving (kids in school until Wednesday afternoon).
I heard a guy say this once:
“Annual passes are for building brand loyalty, increasing high profit ancillary revenues and as a recognition of the value of our guests”

does that really apply at all anymore?

you decide

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I heard a guy say this once:
“Annual passes are for building brand loyalty, increasing high profit ancillary revenues and as a recognition of the value of our guests”

does that really apply at all anymore?

you decide
You must have heard that from someone that either doesn't work for Disney, or worked there decades ago.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But in that time, they’ve opened an enormous expansion with 1 rat ride and premiered 2 new fireworks spectaculars that are universally adored. And they are just getting started! Soon we will have shows and a parade that already existed but were collecting dust. Easily 47% more Magic in 2022. Answer the call!

I was able to become so much happier about the situation once I accepted that I are the Magic. And my son? He are the Magic! My other son? He are the Magic! My wife? She are the Magic!

Even the cats are the Magic. I don’t need Magic from Disney. I bring the Magic. Wherever I go, I have it in me. Just give me some pavement and area music.
Ok…you win

Nautilus

I really feel bad for all the phone cast members. It's not their fault, but they're going to have to take the brunt of the angry customers. Everyone should be upset here...cast and consumer. Not only is it a bad decision in the midst of a lot of other bad PR, but the email that went out didn't even go to updated information. It goes to a page that advertises the four types of passes with the encouragement to buy them, or renew by September 7th. It's like Stromboli is pulling all the strings and laughing his head off.

DVCakaCarlF

I guess this isn’t all too surprising…they’ve been throttling back ADRs, Room Res’, and overall resort function…cause, you know, staffing. Which is ironic, because you would think they would want to drive the revenues through the roof, but I guess that doesn’t drive the stock price, so Bobby gets these ideas, and thinks “yeah, let it burn…”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You would think someone would say, “hey this is a bad idea, maybe we shouldn’t do this, or think through it.” Nope. We just get this and Bob wants to start pacing bets on ESPN cause “why not?!?!?!”
My gut is this type of move is EXACTLY the kind of move that caused the rift between Iger and Chapek

so I will blame iger…who left as both a fraud and a coward

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom