News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This is really unfair to DVC members. The Annual pass discount is the only discount we get on tickets and was promoted as a benefit to owners. I'm currently the only person in my family with an AP because of the last time they stopped it. We were just talking about this and my family is going to be really upset when they hear this news today. They just bought giftcards at BJs preparing to buy their AP for their future trip and now they can't. It would be one thing if they did this absent of the reservation system but you need tickets to make a reservation and if you had planned to get an AP now your screwed.. The reservation system should be managing attendance if that's its point not this.
Well, considering there is no more discount on APs for DVC, it really isn't a benefit. The only thing offered to DVC that isn't offered to everyone is the Sorcerer's Pass. Glad we bought ours the day they were available.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Just got the email about “The Pause”. They added a paragraph and a Question/Answer to the AP website, not much else to report.

Too bad they won’t realize that regular ticket prices are outrageous and that’s a possible reason why many people are choosing AP’s instead right now. As DVC members, a 4 day PH this week is $250 less than what we can pay for a Sorcerer’s pass.

Rider

I bet he starts referring to himself as “No One” by 1/1/22
Finally the return of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea content to the parks!

managing attendance
Selling APs that can't be used because you are managing attendance via the reservation system seems like the most profitable way scam guests.

Since they aren't doing that maybe they really do care about the Guest experience?

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Just got the email about “The Pause”. They added a paragraph and a Question/Answer to the AP website, not much else to report.

Too bad they won’t realize that regular ticket prices are outrageous and that’s a possible reason why many people are choosing AP’s instead right now. As DVC members, a 4 day PH this week is $250 less than what we can pay for a Sorcerer’s pass.
that email is pathetic. The link goes straight to the FAQ page. If I didn't KNOW what was going on from these boards, it would mean nothing to me as I would assume the "pause" is old information related to prior to September.
They should have send it to a page with a prepared statement and then a link to FAQs.

The incompetence is ridiculous.

danv3

that email is pathetic. The link goes straight to the FAQ page. If I didn't KNOW what was going on from these boards, it would mean nothing to me as I would assume the "pause" is old information related to prior to September.
They should have send it to a page with a prepared statement and then a link to FAQs.

The incompetence is ridiculous.
Totally. So besides being an anti-guest decision, it's also being communicated extremely poorly.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The only benefit these days is access to the former-Gold AP. Which has angered many DVC people.
Which is the new Sorcerer's Pass. Both had/have blockout dates, though they are different. The old Gold Pass blocked out 2 weeks around Easter and 2 weeks around Christmas. The new Sorcerer's Pass has 4 days blocked out around Thanksgiving and the 2 weeks around Christmas, but NO blackout dates around Easter.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I resemble that remark
Out of curiosity, why are you angered? The blockout dates around Thanksgiving? The price increase? Everyone knew that a large increase was coming, so not a surprise. People just need to run the numbers to see if the APs still end up saving them money. If not, then you unfortunately need to buy regular park tickets, unless you qualify for the military tickets.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Which is the new Sorcerer's Pass. Both had/have blockout dates, though they are different. The old Gold Pass blocked out 2 weeks around Easter and 2 weeks around Christmas. The new Sorcerer's Pass has 4 days blocked out around Thanksgiving and the 2 weeks around Christmas, but NO blackout dates around Easter.
How many pats on the back should I give for that?

isn’t there like a 95% chance they did that to drive DVC into the higher point windows in the spring?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Out of curiosity, why are you angered? The blockout dates around Thanksgiving? The price increase? Everyone knew that a large increase was coming, so not a surprise. People just need to run the numbers to see if the APs still end up saving them money. If not, then you unfortunately need to buy regular park tickets, unless you qualify for the military tickets.
So at least two pats then?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
How many pats on the back should I give for that?

isn’t there like a 95% chance they did that to drive DVC into the higher point windows in the spring?
Or maybe people were complaining that they could only go at Easter due to the school that their kids attended, and Disney wanted to give that option back to them? 2 sides to every coin.

mattpeto

We'll see if new sales ever restart. I'm not convinced.

New verbiage on the WDW website:

I am a Current Annual Passholder. Will the pause of new sales of Annual Passes affect my pass?

Answer​

No. All current Passholders can continue to renew into any of our four pass types – at their renewal rate – and continue to visit using their pass. We will continue to evaluate the return of new sales for these passes. Please check back here for the latest updates.

I know everything is GoNe fOR gOOd once it goes away...

Like fireworks.
Like parades
Like streetmosphere and World Showcase entertainment.
Like Churros, okay that was lame

Here is what will most likely occur: They will go in sale again early in 2022 with a price increase.

Long-term, AP will definitely be back. It's a huge dagger to the DVC sales and it's revenue that Disney won't want to give up, even though they prioritize their resort guests.

They actually need a middle ground AP program: your AP covers if you are staying onsite.

ToTBellHop

So at least two pats then?
APs have never been about the perks for me. They are about saving money depending upon my plans that year. Sorcerer Pass saves us money this year. I’ll take the win.

I‘m happy about the Easter shift. I would MUCH prefer going for 10 days at Easter (our plan) since Spring Break is a full week than 4 days at Thanksgiving (kids in school until Wednesday afternoon).

Chip Chipperson

As a DVC owner, the blockout dates didn't bother me since I avoid WDW (or travel in general) around major holidays anyway. What annoys me about the new passes is that they jacked the price of the Gold Pass by nearly $300 (renewed my Gold Pass at $611 + tax earlier this year and the new Sorcerer's Pass is currently $899 at the renewal rate) and are now charging $99 for PhotoPass when it used to be included (I believe it's subject to the same 15% reenewal discount, so $84.15 if renewing). So to get everything that I have in my current pass, I would need to pay $983.15 vs. $611. That's a 60.9% increase - or I can pay a "mere" 47.1% increase and get less than I get now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom