News "it's a small world" Holiday Will Not Open on Schedule Due to Incident

SoCalDisneyLover

All the wild speculation on this makes me laugh, I just watched a vlog saying they‘ve heard from CMs its potentially reopening this week, then come here and people are speculating a year or more based on CMs… I’d love to know where everyone is getting their information because I’ve been looking and can’t find anything official from Disney but the wild speculations are all over the place.
I put more trust in the blogger who says it’s 1,000 times worse than Disney, the ones who screwed up in 1st place, are maintaining.

Vegas Disney Fan

I put more trust in the blogger who says it’s 1,000 times worse than Disney, the ones who screwed up in 1st place, are maintaining.
That’s just it though, Disney hasn’t said anything that I can find beyond “delayed due to flooding”.

Maybe I’m just struggling to fathom “a year” because this is such a simple ride, the only thing that should have been below the water level were the water pumps and the flume, everything else (dolls, electrical, controls, etc) had no reason to be below ground, theoretically all the motors and props should be at least a foot or two above the floor. The World of Color flooding affected the control bunker under the platform which was a room full of computers, controllers, and sensors that ran the hundreds of water nozzles, projectors, thousands of lights, etc.. a year to repair the bunker and then replace (and reprogram) all that tech makes sense. Unless the entire IASW building somehow filled up with enough water to reach a foot above the ground it shouldn’t have affected anything but water pumps.

Just trying to figure out what could possibly take a year to replace.

Last edited:

SoCalDisneyLover

That’s just it though, Disney hasn’t said anything that I can find beyond “delayed due to flooding”.

Maybe I’m just struggling to fathom “a year” because this is such a simple ride, the only thing that should have been below the water level were the water pumps and the flume, everything else (dolls, electrical, controls, etc) had no reason to be below ground, theoretically all the motors and props should be at least a foot or two above the floor. The World of Color flooding affected the control bunker under the platform which was a room full of computers, controllers, and sensors that ran the hundreds of water nozzles, projectors, thousands of lights, etc.. a year to repair the bunker and then replace (and reprogram) all that tech makes sense. Unless the entire IASW building somehow filled up with enough water to reach a foot above the ground it shouldn’t have affected anything but water pumps.

Even if it takes only 6 months to fix, it’s still a disaster that resulted from negligence and carelessness. The blogger in question said 1 year was worst case scenario. Disney not saying anything leads me to believe it’s not a 1-2 week fix, which is embarrassing enough, especially given that this is the ride’s most popular time. Maybe their little game is to keep extending the ride’s “refurb” status, until the holiday season runs out of race track.

lazyboy97o

It all depends on what was impacted. If equipment that is no longer available was destroyed it may need to be replaced with a modern equivalent which could involve hiring an electrical engineer to design new systems/connections before any actual installation work begins.

Vegas Disney Fan

It all depends on what was impacted. If equipment that is no longer available was destroyed it may need to be replaced with a modern equivalent which could involve hiring an electrical engineer to design new systems/connections before any actual installation work begins.
Good point, I read they replaced the water turbines in 2008 (I think) but there could be a hodgepodge of tech in that ride ranging over nearly 60 years.

We are going in early December and I’m keeping my fingers crossed it’ll be open by then, I love the Christmas version.

Roy G. Dis

Let's see if we can get another rumor started on the internet that people will copy/paste and repurpose as the official scoop.

Anyway I was talking to a former DL CM's older brother and he said this thing was going to be fixed at 4PM on Tuesday Dec 14 for a few hours for testing and then they'll bring it fully online Dec 19 to coincide with the Genie+ launch and it will immediately be put into the LL category due to the huge demand. He also said that his friend who is a longtime CM's former roommate from the grunge era of the 90s said that Chapek personally insisted that the ride not be turned back on until he can find a way to profit from it because he is, well, evil.

SoCalDisneyLover

There’s no point in arguing with those of you who are mocking these rumors. I’m sure you’ll still be mocking them or the fact people believe them over Disney’s deafening silence, should they turn out to be 100% accurate. Just because Disney is completely ignoring the subject, doesn’t mean those touting the rumors are full of it.

If the ride opens any time in the next 3-4 months, I will gladly come back to admit I was an idiot for believing said rumors. For now, I believe where there’s smoke, there’s fire, and that Disney is going to avoid yelling FIRE, as long as they can get away with it.

AJFireman

Looks like hours of operations have been removed for another week. Previously showed operating on November 22nd now shows November 29. I dont check regularly but must of happened sometime yesterday or today. So maybe going week by week at this point or rumors are true and Disney just doesnt want to talk about it.

muddyrivers

In reading this thread there seems to be some skepticism as to these non-Disney sources. However, this information originated from David Koenig who has written several books regarding behind the scenes information at DIsneyland and has been writing about Disneyland for decades. I would like to think he has the connections to give him the information that Disneyland is not going to publicly disclose and that David would not post any information publicly that he does not have confidence in reporting.

So I intend to stay tuned to any additional information put out by him as his information will probably tell us much more about what's going with IASW than we'll ever be told by Disney themselves.

Old Mouseketeer

The latest from David Koenig

>>A new Small World leaker confirms FloodGate was indeed human error. “They forgot to shut a valve. To make things worse, an alarm was sounding for over 90 minutes for an urgent pump failure (probably the pump that got overwhelmed and could no longer pump water from electrical vault). Water boiled and was sent up and out through conduit. It was nuts. A lot damaged.”<<
This is similar to what I’ve heard from a fantasyland CM including the boiling water. Most recently they heard from a facilities person that it could be into the new year.

TP2000

Looks like hours of operations have been removed for another week. Previously showed operating on November 22nd now shows November 29. I dont check regularly but must of happened sometime yesterday or today. So maybe going week by week at this point or rumors are true and Disney just doesnt want to talk about it.

Well, that's gotta hurt.

2,500 riders per hour goes poof! during one of the busiest weeks of the year. And not just 2,500 riders per hour, but 2,500 riders on a Christmas themed ride during the kickoff to the Christmas season. Double Ouch.

RedzRobinz

UPDATE: Someone from my discord has been talking with a cast member and they said it's looking like December 18th for reopening at the most. They also said it's possible it could reopen one-sided on December 10th. They also extended the overlay to the 28th of Janurary to make up for the lengthy closure.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Let's see if we can get another rumor started on the internet that people will copy/paste and repurpose as the official scoop.

Anyway I was talking to a former DL CM's older brother and he said this thing was going to be fixed at 4PM on Tuesday Dec 14 for a few hours for testing and then they'll bring it fully online Dec 19 to coincide with the Genie+ launch and it will immediately be put into the LL category due to the huge demand. He also said that his friend who is a longtime CM's former roommate from the grunge era of the 90s said that Chapek personally insisted that the ride not be turned back on until he can find a way to profit from it because he is, well, evil.
this checks out. #confirmed.

mickEblu

UPDATE: Someone from my discord has been talking with a cast member and they said it's looking like December 18th for reopeningat the most. They also said it's possible it could reopen one-sided on December 10th. They also extended the overlay to the 28th of Janurary to make up for the lengthy closure.

My Believe key gets blacked out after 12/16 so Yayyyy, IASW Holiday after the Holidays! 🙄It’s better than nothing I guess.

SuddenStorm

UPDATE: Someone from my discord has been talking with a cast member and they said it's looking like December 18th for reopening at the most. They also said it's possible it could reopen one-sided on December 10th. They also extended the overlay to the 28th of Janurary to make up for the lengthy closure.

Nothing says Christmas like celebrating a month after the holiday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom