News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

spresso81

Notice how he doesn’t say news about what.

There is news about something every day.

I am surprised he did not provide a likely preview:

Press Release - November 17th, 2021 4:01 PM Universal Orlando parks announces beyond relaxing mask policy for its own employees, if you bring any Disney mask to the USO campus for shredding you get a free Butterbeer with a paid admission.

Second piece of news from Disney this time

Press Release - November 17th, 2021 5:01 PM - The WDC maintains we care about the health and safety of all of guests. Despite the recent changes to the Orange County mask mandate and recent CDC guidance we aim to maintain our current mask policy albeit with a slight change. Guests now must wear the official 50th WDW Anniversary mask indoors. This breathable mask only costs $11.99 for adults and $9.99 for children.

Trauma

Press Release - November 17th, 2021 4:01 PM Universal Orlando parks announces beyond relaxing mask policy for its own employees, if you bring any Disney mask to the USO campus for shredding you get a free Butterbeer with a paid admission.

Press Release - November 17th, 2021 5:01 PM - The WDC maintains we care about the health and safety of all of guests. Despite the recent changes to the Orange County mask mandate and recent CDC guidance we aim to maintain our current mask policy albeit with a slight change. Guests now must wear the official 50th WDW Anniversary mask indoors. This breathable mask only costs $11.99 for adults and $9.99 for children.
If Universal did that they would run out of Butterbeer.

ToTBellHop

I know that’s fake news. It would be $49.99/$29.99.

JustInTime

I am schedule for a WDW trip starting January 23, 2022. I will cancel this trip if the indoor mask mandates are still in affect by December 22, 2021. I do not do business with any establishment that requires masks, except airlines, buses, hospitals, and doctor offices. Those facilities are necessities and I have no choice, but to begrudgingly comply. WDW is not by any means a necessity.
I have one in two weeks and we will cancel if no mask requirements. Do what you feel you need to for your family. Stay home.

RoadiJeff

I have one in two weeks and we will cancel if no mask requirements. Do what you feel you need to for your family. Stay home.
When I did a solo WDW visit last year, a big part of the reason I went then was I read how low the crowds were due to mask mandates, fear of flying, or whatever. I had an absolutely wonderful time and I hadn't seen the parks that refreshingly uncrowded since the 70s.

I did another solo trip last month, hoping the low crowd experience was still somewhat there, but it seemed like everyone no longer cared if they had to wear a mask or not <sigh>. The crowds were back in full force.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
But its not tomorrow yet is it?
Isn't tomorrow "always a day away" ?

annie GIF

Magic Feather

I'm not going to pretend to definitively know when Disney will drop their indoor masks limits, but just a couple of things to remember when making assumptions:
  • Disney, via DCL, has given their date where they believe it is a reasonable expectation that all people 5+ who wish to be vaccinated
  • Disney has, in the past, intentionally tried to match up indoor de-masking initiatives on both coasts
  • Disney has absolutely no desire whatsoever to reinstate indoor mask mandates once they are removed
  • Cases of all illnesses, and especially COVID, nationwide are driven up in the winter months
  • Disney will not have a long turn around time between announcing the removal of indoor masks and actually doing it
  • If a policy manages to hold until the beginning of the intense part of the holiday season, it will hold through the end of the holiday season (i.e. Disney will not change ops massively in the middle of an already hectic time)
  • Disney, unlike Universal or SeaWorld, receives national scrutiny for its COVID policies AND receives a significantly larger portion of it guests from out of state, meaning that any change will likely be on a national basis as opposed to regional
With that out of the way, my prediction based on the above is that mask mandates are removed come mid to late January on the condition that national COVID numbers are trending downward.

mattpeto

I'm not going to pretend to definitively know when Disney will drop their indoor masks limits, but just a couple of things to remember when making assumptions:
  • Disney, via DCL, has given their date where they believe it is a reasonable expectation that all people 5+ who wish to be vaccinated
  • Disney has, in the past, intentionally tried to match up indoor de-masking initiatives on both coasts
  • Disney has absolutely no desire whatsoever to reinstate indoor mask mandates once they are removed
  • Cases of all illnesses, and especially COVID, nationwide are driven up in the winter months
  • Disney will not have a long turn around time between announcing the removal of indoor masks and actually doing it
  • If a policy manages to hold until the beginning of the intense part of the holiday season, it will hold through the end of the holiday season (i.e. Disney will not change ops massively in the middle of an already hectic time)
  • Disney, unlike Universal or SeaWorld, receives national scrutiny for its COVID policies AND receives a significantly larger portion of it guests from out of state, meaning that any change will likely be on a national basis as opposed to regional
With that out of the way, my prediction based on the above is that mask mandates are removed come mid to late January on the condition that national COVID numbers are trending downward.

That's the reasonable take.

And really they just don't have to go back and forth anymore.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So a 30% increase in covid infections are expected in the next several weeks. 15,000 more fatalities predicted. Significant rise in 20 states…
…and yes…it’s moving south and East…

so what was the last 3 weeks hubbub about Disney taking masks out of the line for Pirates all about?…again?

never stop fighting till the fighting is done.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am schedule for a WDW trip starting January 23, 2022. I will cancel this trip if the indoor mask mandates are still in affect by December 22, 2021. I do not do business with any establishment that requires masks, except airlines, buses, hospitals, and doctor offices. Those facilities are necessities and I have no choice, but to begrudgingly comply. WDW is not by any means a necessity.
You covered it perfectly…you don’t need to go and they don’t need you. That’s 100% a legitimate stance.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

So a 30% increase in covid infections are expected in the next several weeks. 15,000 more fatalities predicted. Significant rise in 20 states…
…and yes…it’s moving south and East…

so what was the last 3 weeks hubbub about Disney taking masks out of the line for Pirates all about?…again?

never stop fighting till the fighting is done.
Keeping or dropping indoor masking at WDW will have no measurable effect on the trends you highlight above.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
it was just a reflection of the situation on the ground. The “I’m not going if I have to wear a mask” segment is not significant enough for them to change their operational plan as it stands. Their current lackluster attendance/performance is about 49% covid alterations to the travel system and 49% bad management/price strategies and a failure to invest properly.

so it’s an issue…not a huge one.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Keeping or dropping indoor masking at WDW will have no measurable effect on the trends you highlight above.
It’s been a PR/liability issue from the start. And they learned not to trust the Florida government (last year…when it was all about locking up grandpa and “reopening the economy” 🙄)…

it’s not about “lowering cases” at wdw.

it’s groundhogs day here again. Have a good one 🦫

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom