Marvel Studios Developing Asian Superhero Film ‘Shang-Chi’

Wendy Pleakley

Interestingly, Shang-Chi will be available for digital purchase the same day it's released on Disney+. My guess was that there would be an exclusive purchase window first.

Shang-Chi is punching his way onto your TV. Marvel's latest big screen outing, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, debuts on digital platforms on Nov. 12 and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD on Nov. 30.

Ripken10

Not really comparing apples to apples but still worth mentioning...

Through four days of release, Shang-Chi and Venom made 94 and 95 million respectively.

Shang-Chi's first Tuesday made more than Venom's first Monday (Shang-Chi first Monday was a holiday).

Note - I am not taking anything away from Venom. But does look like Venom will be (as expected) more front loaded (with regards to weekend) then Shang-Chi. Both will benefit a lot from not being released on streaming, so shouldn't see Black Widow drop numbers from Venom this weekend.

erasure fan1

I watched it the other day and I wasn't really impressed at all. It was kind of meh, if I'm being honest. I enjoyed Widow a lot more. I'm going to watch it again because maybe I missed something. It came off as a very generic martial arts movie. Maybe that was the vibe they were going for.

Jedijax719

Finally saw SC on D+. It was good, not great. Enjoyable and decent pacing and story. Simple story and maybe critics like that. It was possibly top 10 MCU for me by default. It did not leave a lasting impression on me the way Black Panther, GOTG, and the first Iron Man did. Those were, by far, my favorite non-Avengers MCU movies. I didn't quite see it as being as rewatchable as those 3 either. I'd probably put it behind BP, IM, GOTG, Endgame, Infinity War, and Avengers on my list. So #7 is pretty good. (yes it is higher than Winter Soldier and Ragnorak for me personally).

I have a feeling I will end up liking Eternals better. Still, though, good fun storytelling and action.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Finally saw SC on D+. It was good, not great. Enjoyable and decent pacing and story. Simple story and maybe critics like that. It was possibly top 10 MCU for me by default. It did not leave a lasting impression on me the way Black Panther, GOTG, and the first Iron Man did. Those were, by far, my favorite non-Avengers MCU movies. I didn't quite see it as being as rewatchable as those 3 either. I'd probably put it behind BP, IM, GOTG, Endgame, Infinity War, and Avengers on my list. So #7 is pretty good. (yes it is higher than Winter Soldier and Ragnorak for me personally).

I have a feeling I will end up liking Eternals better. Still, though, good fun storytelling and action.
That’s interesting…I thought Shang chi was solid, but predictable…I’ll be interested to see what you think about eternals?

…for what it’s worth…I think the winter soldier is the best marvel movie…and it’s not that close…while ragnarok is where they jumped the shark in many ways. “Different strokes”…I suppose?

erasure fan1

for what it’s worth…I think the winter soldier is the best marvel movie…and it’s not that close…while ragnarok is where they jumped the shark in many ways. “Different strokes”…I suppose?
It really boils down to the type of movie you like. I really liked Ragnarok, It worked for me. I get why some didn't connect with it though. Winter soldier is just a good movie, not just a good comic book movie. At this point I'm just going to wait for eternals to come to regular D+ to see it.

Jedijax719

I like world building and character arcs. Winter Soldier was a good movie, don't get me wrong. However, it was more about espionage and stuff like that which isn't on top of my list. Ragnorak was a good movie by design, but really weird overall by execution. So Black Panther and GOTG make sense for me while Iron Man has incredible character building.

Yes, Shang Chi was very predictable and some of it was too rushed. But solid overall.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It really boils down to the type of movie you like. I really liked Ragnarok, It worked for me. I get why some didn't connect with it though. Winter soldier is just a good movie, not just a good comic book movie. At this point I'm just going to wait for eternals to come to regular D+ to see it.
I liked the early MCU better because they relied more on “somewhat more plausible” action sequences…not attack of the clones type computers gone mad…

but the character development still what makes it. “World building” doesn’t stick with the viewer long term…characters due.

avatar vs empire strikes back…just my take.

erasure fan1

I liked the early MCU better because they relied more on “somewhat more plausible” action sequences…not attack of the clones type computers gone mad…

but the character development still what makes it. “World building” doesn’t stick with the viewer long term…characters due.

avatar vs empire strikes back…just my take.
That was one of my big hang ups with Widow. She is a "normal" person, no super powers. Sure she is a great spy/special agent. But there was 3 or 4 scenes in that movie that should have killed her. It was very distracting. Lol

doctornick

Ragnorok for me is easily one of the top MCU films and I can’t wait for Love and Thunder.

meanwhile I find Winter Soldier to be kinda boring and among my least favorite MCU films. I don’t really under the hype it gets. I’m not really a fan of “grounded” superhero films to be honest. But I’m also one of those people who hated Logan so it’s obviously a personal preference.

on topic, loved Shang Chi. Haven’t gotten the chance to rewatch at home yet but looking forward to it

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ragnorok for me is easily one of the top MCU films and I can’t wait for Love and Thunder.

meanwhile I find Winter Soldier to be kinda boring and among my least favorite MCU films. I don’t really under the hype it gets. I’m not really a fan of “grounded” superhero films to be honest. But I’m also one of those people who hated Logan so it’s obviously a personal preference.

on topic, loved Shang Chi. Haven’t gotten the chance to rewatch at home yet but looking forward to it
Winter soldier is often referred to as one of the best…If not the best mcu movie. By the critic types.

it’s not for everyone…obviously. I also like the 3 captain America movies as the best individual set…up there with the Nolan dark knights as a 3 spot for me.

I think ragnarok was a kinda cheap attempt to be hip meant for the 17-20 range. But it’s the favorite of many.

variety is the spice of life. I suppose.

I like the grounded type of super/sci fi/action movie. They’re all ridiculous…but I appreciate an attempt to make the characters act as if it’s real to them.

you know what movies had 3 of those?…but then went crazy with two more 3 part blocks?
…the audience appreciates you if you don’t try to make them feel like they’re a clown to like it.

mcu has still on the whole done a pretty good job of that…which is why there is demand.

Jedijax719

My Top 10

1. Black Panther
2. Iron Man 1
3. End Game
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Infinity War
6. Avengers
7. Shang Chi
8. Civil War
9. Captain America: First Avenger
10. Doctor Strange

LSLS

Rewatched them (for the last time), and guardians and black panther are by far my least favorites. Ragnarok and winter soldier are def top 5 for me. As for shang chi, still haven't seen it. I'll see it eventually, but nothing about it felt like something I'd really care about, so I just haven't been able to make the time for it (even now that it's disney plus).

Animaniac93-98

I have yet to see Black Widow, Shang-Chi or Eternals, but have watched WandaVision, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki and I'm looking forward to Hawkeye.

The Marvel movies now seem boringly average and overly long.

The series are more interesting and easier to watch because of their weekly episode format.

erasure fan1

10. Age of ultron (very key/underrated)
I'm glad I'm not alone in this thought. While I just thought it was ok when it came out. After a couple viewings, wondered why so many put it as one of the worst. That's why I need to rewatch Shang Chi again. The only real disagreement with your list would be to swap black panther with iron man. I would just move it down the list a bit. Panther is just an average mcu flick to me.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Ok…I’ll play:

1. winter soldier
2. Avengers
3. Captain America
4. Guardians
5. Black panther
6. Endgame
7. Civil war
8. Close to home
9. Infinity war
10. Age of ultron (very key/underrated)

doc stange/iron man next
There is no movie called 'Close to Home.' Thought you were an MCU fan and here you can't even get the title for one of them right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom