News "it's a small world" Holiday Will Not Open on Schedule Due to Incident

VJ

Original Poster
Due to flooding in the electrical room of the attraction, the opening of "it's a small world" Holiday will be delayed.

TP2000

Small World Holiday really is one of the best things Disneyland has done in the last thirty years.

I remember a decade or so ago they made a big deal about replacing the flume, as it was still the original one from the 1964 World's Fair. The sets and dolls are all above the flume water line, so I can't think of a way the water could damage them. But I imagine if electrical stuff shorted out, that's going to take some time to fix.

It probably doesn't help that this is a 1960's ride that likely has decades of various patches and additions and redesigns to all the equipment. You probably can't just order this stuff off Amazon for tomorrow's delivery, it may take some time to source and fabricate things that were damaged.

Dear Prudence

Small World Holiday really is one of the best things Disneyland has done in the last thirty years.

I remember a decade or so ago they made a big deal about replacing the flume, as it was still the original one from the 1964 World's Fair. The sets and dolls are all above the flume water line, so I can't think of a way the water could damage them. But I imagine if electrical stuff shorted out, that's going to take some time to fix.

It probably doesn't help that this is a 1960's ride that likely has decades of various patches and additions and redesigns to all the equipment. You probably can't just order this stuff off Amazon for tomorrow's delivery, it may take some time to source and fabricate things that were damaged.
co-signing off on all of this.

mickEblu

Yeah I agree. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t get back up and running this Christmas season. “Delayed” isn’t a good sign either.

Old Mouseketeer

What I can’t understand is how they were just refilling the flume the night before opening. Unless they had pumped the existing water into tanker trucks, how do you get all that water chlorinated and balanced?

I heard the whole ride was flooded and I believe those sets and platforms are entirely made of wood. I’m waiting to hear from a good friend who works in Fantasyland.

mickEblu

I'd love to learn more about what actually happened here. Was it user error or a freak accident?

If it's user error I wonder what other mishaps we can expect as Disneyland ramps up over the next year. They've already flooded World of Color this year, and now Small World.

Conspiracy theory: Disney purposely did this as an elaborate plan to shut down its a Small World (and its valuable space) to build a Frozen boat ride in it’s place and avoid the backlash from closing down one of the most classic attractions of all time. “It was an unfortunate accident. We were faced with the choice of rebuilding the 55+ year old attraction or building something for the new generation.”

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Conspiracy theory: Disney purposely did this as an elaborate plan to shut down its a Small World (and its valuable space) to build a Frozen boat ride in it’s place and avoid the backlash from closing down one of the most classic attractions of all time. “It was an unfortunate accident. We were faced with the choice of rebuilding the 55+ year old attraction or building something for the new generation.”

Shhhh, don't give them any ideas......

Old Mouseketeer

Isn’t this just a small flood within an isolated electrical room backstage somewhere? Not necessarily a literal flooding of the sets and scenery.
I heard from my friend in Fantasyland and they said it was extensive flooding throughout the show building. One person said it may not reopen until after the holidays. They are telling guests it’s closed indefinitely.

Homemade Imagineering

I heard from my friend in Fantasyland and they said it was extensive flooding throughout the show building. One person said it may not reopen until after the holidays. They are telling guests it’s closed indefinitely.
Yeah, to me it feels like there's more to this situation than we may think. Nothing groundbreaking or intentional, just maybe more extensive damage done and Disney doesn't want to cause any major concern for fans and guests. It is especially strange the star on the IASW icon on the digital park map was removed yesterday, and although I probably shouldn't take a magnifying glass to that, its certainly a strange prospect as I've never seen that done before during attraction refurbishments.

Homemade Imagineering

7549D3C3-AD78-40B3-B1D2-9E9683B7CE8A.jpeg
Update. As of this morning, it appears the information Star on the digital map has returned.

el_super

I haven't asked anyone, but I just can't imagine that the water damage to the sets/building itself would be all that bad. Even all the water in the flume isn't all that much compared to the size of the building.

On the other hand, there is a supply shortage right now, and if they had to replace some specialized electrical equipment, I could definitely see that taking a few months.

SoCalDisneyLover

So they decorated the whole thing for the holidays, and now they're going to take it all down and pretend it was never supposed to be Small World Holiday? Just what the park needs during the holiday season, a MAJOR people eater shut down. More people who would normally be in line or on the ride, to distribute throughout the park, in the walkways and in other lines.

If that's true, and it's closed for the next 2 months, then BRAVO Disney! Guess you won't be needing lightning lane for this one until next November.

Vegas Disney Fan

I haven't asked anyone, but I just can't imagine that the water damage to the sets/building itself would be all that bad. Even all the water in the flume isn't all that much compared to the size of the building.

On the other hand, there is a supply shortage right now, and if they had to replace some specialized electrical equipment, I could definitely see that taking a few months.
I was thinking similar, even if the flume was 100% full and completely failed that would likely mean an inch of water at most.

My monies on a basement room (or pit) full of equipment that was flooded.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom