Disney+ Day Kicks Off Global Celebration With Week-Long, Company-Wide Promotions

Casper Gutman

I thought this whole thing was tacky but harmless, but turning Spaceship Earth blue in honor of a streaming service rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

And man, as a poster said above, comparisons to the 50th show just how little current management cares about the parks and their history.

TalkingHead

So, unless I missed something, judging from the announcements today they're just doubling down on a streaming service that's defined by SW/Marvel content. No wonder there's so much handwringing in Burbank.

It's not only original non-IP features/series they need to add -- they've got the entire Fox, Touchstone, Disney libraries to pull from. The pre-1980s Disney titles currently offered seem a little haphazard (e.g., why Pollyanna but not Summer Magic? Why half a dozen obscure 70s features but not more Touchstone titles?) and, at any rate, it's a very incomplete back catalog. Walt-era television episodes would suffice for some "filler," if that's the way they want to view it, and later Disney-Channel-era shows would provide more content. Rotate stuff like other streamers do to give the impression of a dynamic collection that isn't stagnant.

Scrolling through the titles currently offered, it's pretty clear their plan has been to brand this as a SW/Marvel/Disney/Pixar/Simpsons service. Hard to see that ever being a long-term competitor to Netflix or Amazon. SW has been devalued over the last ten years, and Marvel's future is, well, not as bright as it was pre-Endgame. If streaming is the company's focus going forward, the current Disney+ model ought to be cause for concern. And that's not going to change by trotting out some characters for a day of theme park meet-and-greets and giving away some complimentary buttons to the first 1000 guests.

ImperfectPixie

So, unless I missed something, judging from the announcements today they're just doubling down on a streaming service that's defined by SW/Marvel content. No wonder there's so much handwringing in Burbank.

It's not only original non-IP features/series they need to add -- they've got the entire Fox, Touchstone, Disney libraries to pull from. The pre-1980s Disney titles currently offered seem a little haphazard (e.g., why Pollyanna but not Summer Magic? Why half a dozen obscure 70s features but not more Touchstone titles?) and, at any rate, it's a very incomplete back catalog. Walt-era television episodes would suffice for some "filler," if that's the way they want to view it, and later Disney-Channel-era shows would provide more content. Rotate stuff like other streamers do to give the impression of a dynamic collection that isn't stagnant.

Scrolling through the titles currently offered, it's pretty clear their plan has been to brand this as a SW/Marvel/Disney/Pixar/Simpsons service. Hard to see that ever being a long-term competitor to Netflix or Amazon. SW has been devalued over the last ten years, and Marvel's future is, well, not as bright as it was pre-Endgame. If streaming is the company's focus going forward, the current Disney+ model ought to be cause for concern. And that's not going to change by trotting out some characters for a day of theme park meet-and-greets and giving away some complimentary buttons to the first 1000 guests.
For a company that is supposedly one of the best at data collection, they seem to understand their guests/customers less and less. I've said many times that big companies will conduct surveys that are biased and only serve to validate executive decisions, and people around here have reacted as if I'm nuts. All I can say is by what we're seeing throughout the different Disney company divisions, it seems as if Iger and Chapek (definitely Chapek more so) are taking all that guest data and tossing it out a window.

Cmdr_Crimson

My biggest gripe is the animated shows coming. Take Baymax for example I'm expecting it to be a 30 min series...But, no it's probably 6min shorts and call it a series it's just dvd extras...

Also going to point this out if anyone didn't notice....No new Muppet Content...

There are many fair reasons to complain about Bob Chapek. "Promoting Disney+ on the anniversary of its launch" doesn't strike me as one of them.
I think any day to complain about Bob "Paycheck" is a good day! In my opinion, this man is in it solely to line his pockets even more. This recent Christmas after hours looks really nice... but look at the freaken price tag! Once again, I say.. Disney is on the fringe...............

MrPromey

Like all Disney+ Simpsons shorts, it’s got some decent laughs, and somehow runs out of gas way too quickly.
Yeah, I didn’t find most of it funny but I found the song to be strangely honest.

I just wonder if it’s because they had contractual creative freedom, if leadership didn’t watch it, if they just honestly don’t care or if they’re so tone deaf this they think leaning in and poking fun at what they’re really doing somehow makes it all okay.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Every month old Disney/Fox movies/series get added to D+/Hulu.

I'm guessing the reason they just don't do a dump of all titles is that they're still under contract to various other streamers. For example, we're aware of Disney properties that were stuck on Netflix for over two years (The Netflix Defenders & the Ice Age movies). Imagine all their old movies that have made up the PPV/rental library of streamers such as VUDU. It's likely there were under contract for three or five years to be available as a rental on other streamers. Over time, they're trickling 'home.'

rogerrabbitfan9

People on this site are overly negative.

It’s in Disney’s long term best interest to control as much of the pipeline between content creation and the consumer as possible. The alternative is tech companies like Apple and Netflix get to make the final decision about what content is ultimately made. Disney+ is the way Disney is doing this.

For Disney+ to be successful, Disney needs to lean all in. Internally when people make decisions and they have a choice between short term gains or Disney+ they need to choose Disney+. Not doing that is what has historically killed Disney’s tech initiatives. Disney won’t kill big tech by being passive.

That all in attitude leads to some stupid stuff like this Disney+ day at the parks, but it’s better than the alternative.

Disneys content decisions have been more or less a home run. The Mandalorian, Loki, and Wandavision were cultural phenoms.
I don’t think Disney needs to be putting out content every week. They need to spread things out a little so they give each piece of content some breathing room and keep things from feeling routine. New Disney+ content should feel like an occasion.

Casper Gutman

People on this site are overly negative.

It’s in Disney’s long term best interest to control as much of the pipeline between content creation and the consumer as possible. The alternative is tech companies like Apple and Netflix get to make the final decision about what content is ultimately made. Disney+ is the way Disney is doing this.

For Disney+ to be successful, Disney needs to lean all in. Internally when people make decisions and they have a choice between short term gains or Disney+ they need to choose Disney+. Not doing that is what has historically killed Disney’s tech initiatives. Disney won’t kill big tech by being passive.

That all in attitude leads to some stupid stuff like this Disney+ day at the parks, but it’s better than the alternative.

Disneys content decisions have been more or less a home run. The Mandalorian, Loki, and Wandavision were cultural phenoms.
I don’t think Disney needs to be putting out content every week. They need to spread things out a little so they give each piece of content some breathing room and keep things from feeling routine. New Disney+ content should feel like an occasion.
I don't think anyone is questioning the fundamental wisdom of launching Disney+. The way it is being handled, and Disney+ Day specifically, is the issue. I think your last few sentences are absolutely, totally wrong. A streaming service needs a constant hose of content - that's why Disney bought Fox. You can try and make the Marvel and Star Wars series seem like "occasions," but they better launch back-to-back-to-back, with nary a gap - certainly not a six or seven month one, and they need a lot of other content launching at all times around them. Otherwise there is no reason to maintain a subscription.

And for all its tacky showiness, Disney+ Day generated almost no heat at all. It was a massive embarrassment. There were no significant Marvel or SW announcements and no full trailers. What was shown for Moon Knight and She-Hulk was very brief, unfinished, and... kinda bad. Compare with the DC event a few weeks ago, which included trailers or big globs of footage for The Batman, Black Adam, Peacemaker, Flash, Superpets, etc., and generated a lot of buzz.

This isn't just one curmudgeons opinion, either. The trade press is discussing just how lackluster Disney+'s big event really was. Honestly, we complain here about Chapek's handling of the parks, but he is fumbling the studios and Disney+ just as much if not more, and THATS going to be what really damages his future as CEO.

Animaniac93-98

This isn't just one curmudgeons opinion, either. The trade press is discussing just how lackluster Disney+'s big event really was. Honestly, we complain here about Chapek's handling of the parks, but he is fumbling the studios and Disney+ just as much if not more, and THATS going to be what really damages his future as CEO.

We talk a lot about Chapek's lack of hospitality experience, but he has no cable or studio experience either. Eisner came from Paramount. Iger was from ABC. Chapek's Disney career was consumer products and home video before the parks, and before the mouse? Brand management and advertising. He's whole career has been selling stuff other people have already made, which is a problem when you're suddenly in charge of content creation too.

He has no experience running theme parks, hotels, a movie studio, television network or cable company.

He may be the least qualified person to ever be in charge of Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom