Disney not subject to Anaheim’s ‘living wage’ ballot measure, judge rules - OCR/SCNG

Disney Irish

Premium Member
...how can the dollar be worth less?

Its called the Time Value of Money or TVM. Its a real thing in finance where the value of money in the future is less than the value of money in the past due to inflation.

Long story short, inflation causes the dollar to lose value over time meaning that same dollar has less buying power in the future than in the past. So your parents and grandparents had more buying power at your age than you do today.

None of this has anything to do with whether a person gets a degree or not. Its a fact of how the financial systems work, and has always worked. What a college degree might get you in the long term, besides potentially a lot of debt, is more earning potential. But it will never get you more buying power. A person with a college degree has the same buying power as a person without a college degree. During your parents and grandparents day they could buy more with their dollar than people can today, hence why home ownership and such were possible even with a low wage job.

BTW, no one is saying that getting more education in any form is for suckers. As stated above it provides the ability for more earning potential in the long run. But note that just getting a degree doesn't mean anything. I know plenty of college graduates that are very poor for many reasons, most of which are out of their control.

TP2000

Could perhaps you guys act your age.. and you know.. act like adults in an adult conversation?

How much money per hour should Glyndanna Shevlin receive in 2021 for smiling at people and putting out muffins and juice every morning in the Disneyland Hotel Lounge as her job as a Lounge Hostess?

I say she should get $18 per hour for that task, plus basic dental/vision/medical benefits.

How much do you think she should get?

Keep in mind she has had that same job in that same lounge since 1988.

RobWDW1971

I wonder if you somehow feel proud of pounding your chest of "owning those lazy kids because they NEVER worked as hard as I DID" backward crab-like mentality :)

As a father of Millennials and GenZ'ers - I am SO proud! The idea that one of my kids would clear fields as a summer job or work an endless dishwasher from hell at night is nothing short of hysterical. Those type of jobs would be bad for their "brand".

But yes, today's young adults staring down at their iPhone 13 taking an Uber to Starbucks to get an Iced Sugar Cookie Almondmilk Latte while posting on their socials about their "mental health" know hard work and sacrifice. #sobrave #sostrong

Sensing my cousin coming home from two tours of 'Nam at that age without a leg just "may" have had slightly better perspective. But hey, he's not on Instagram so he's a LOSER!

So yes, I happily and openly mock young people and their lack of perspective, work ethic, and narcissism (with love) as my parent's did about my generation.

mickEblu

As a father of Millennials and GenZ'ers - I am SO proud! The idea that one of my kids would clear fields as a summer job or work an endless dishwasher from hell at night is nothing short of hysterical. Those type of jobs would be bad for their "brand".

But yes, today's young adults staring down at their iPhone 13 taking an Uber to Starbucks to get an Iced Sugar Cookie Almondmilk Latte while posting on their socials about their "mental health" know hard work and sacrifice. #sobrave #sostrong

Sensing my cousin coming home from two tours of 'Nam at that age without a leg just "may" have had slightly better perspective. But hey, he's not on Instagram so he's a LOSER!

So yes, I happily and openly mock young people and their lack of perspective, work ethic, and narcissism (with love) as my parent's did about my generation.

Where do you live if you don’t mind me asking? Here in Los Angeles, it’s looking pretty bleak for young families trying to start a life. And it has nothing to do with work ethic, lack of perspective etc. For most families it takes two good incomes to support a family which completely screws up the family dynamic of course when both parents are working.

It’s looking like I may never be able to afford a home in the city I grew up in through no fault of my own. It’s a ty feeling as it’s something that every man in my family was able to do- some even on very modest salaries or lower income… with their wives being able to stay home. I’m not talking about the 50s either. My dad, 24 years old, bought a brand new home in the late 80s for 80k while putting himself through school and supporting a family. My uncle in 1999 bought a house in Studio City for 225k that today is worth 1.5 million. Even secondary less desirable cities all over Southern California - real estate prices have become obscene.

I’m lucky to be renting a house from family that they could easily be making another 2k on a month… which i feel guilty about. When owning a Home, having a nice nest egg etc feel so out of reach it’s easy to start saying “the hell with it, I’m just going to live for the present.”

So yeah I do get jealous of my father ,uncles, dads cousins generation who were able to own a home, support a family (with their wives staying home) with no college degrees (except for my Dad). Now don’t get me wrong, all these men worked hard but they had something to show for their work. Many people in my generation work hard but have nothing to show for it. So yeah, since homes in my neighborhood are now reaching one million dollars (for 1200 sq foot homes built in the 50s) I’m going to splurge on a Disneyland annual pass because why not? Now maybe in most of the rest of the country it’s different but this is my experience here.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Where do you live if you don’t mind me asking? Here in Los Angeles, it’s looking pretty bleak for young families trying to start a life. And it has nothing to with work ethic, lack of perspective etc. For most families it takes two good incomes to support a family which completely screws up the family dynamic of course when both parents are working.

It’s looking like I may never be able to afford a home in the city I grew up in through no fault of my own. It’s a ****ty feeling as it’s something that every man in my family was able to do- some even on very modest salaries or lower income… with their wives being able to stay home. I’m not talking about the 50s either. My dad, 24 years old, bought a brand new home in the late 80s for 80k while putting himself through school and supporting a family. My uncle in 1999 bought a house in Studio City for 225k that today is worth 1.5 million. Even secondary less desirable cities all over Southern California - real estate prices have become obscene.

I’m lucky to be renting a house from family that they could easily be making another 2k on a month… which i feel guilty about. When owning a Home, having a nice nest egg etc feel so out of reach it’s easy to start saying “the hell with it, I’m just going to live for the present.”

So yeah I do get jealous of my father ,uncles, dads cousins generation who were able to own a home, support a family (with their wives staying home) with no college degrees (except for my Dad). Now don’t get me wrong, all these men worked hard but they had something to show for their work. Many people in my generation work hard but have nothing to show for it. So yeah, since homes in my neighborhood are now reaching one million dollars (for 1200 sq foot homes built in the 50s) I’m going to splurge on a Disneyland annual pass because why not? Now maybe in most of the rest of the country it’s different but this is my experience here.

when I could not afford homes where i wanted to live i had to compromise and live elsewhere and commute. That’s what people do.

and now in the age of working remote for so many roles that possibility is even greater.

where i live now I could never afford as a first home, because like your story prices have escalated so much (3-4x here). So what did my first kid trying to establish their life do? They moved further out and commute. Now they have a house that has already appreciated 30+% since they bought it just two years ago. A young couple, they both work and at less then 24yrs old they both have full time jobs and own a home. Both have since taken better paying jobs that have less commute then when they first moved. They did this even younger then i did and their first home cost nearly double what my first home i bought at age 24.

when it gets bad where you are at… take the initiative and do something about it. If you want it, do what it takes to get it. Sometimes that means leaving and going somewhere where the conditions better fit your moment in life.

mickEblu

when I could not afford homes where i wanted to live i had to compromise and live elsewhere and commute. That’s what people do.

and now in the age of working remote for so many roles that possibility is even greater.

where i live now I could never afford as a first home, because like your story prices have escalated so much (3-4x here). So what did my first kid trying to establish their life do? They moved further out and commute. Now they have a house that has already appreciated 30+% since they bought it just two years ago. A young couple, they both work and at less then 24yrs old they both have full time jobs and own a home. Both have since taken better paying jobs that have less commute then when they first moved. They did this even younger then i did and their first home cost nearly double what my first home i bought at age 24.

when it gets bad where you are at… take the initiative and do something about it. If you want it, do what it takes to get it. Sometimes that means leaving and going somewhere where the conditions better fit your moment in life.

As you know, it’s all about timing. We have two young kids now and we both work. To comfortably afford a decent home we would have to move pretty far away from all of our family and friends. I’m not going to move far away to still overpay for a ty house in a not so great area and then still not be in a position where my wife doesn’t have to work. Meaning now instead of having my parents help watch the kids when necessary I would be reaching to out to strangers/ daycare. I work in Production which is based in LA/ Hollywood so a long commute would be a terrible lifestyle change/ suicidal with the Hours I work sometimes. My wife works in Marketing from home but that’s tough when you have a 1 year old so it’s a fluid situation where I have to be pickier with jobs or ask family for help with watching the kids.

Most friends/ family our age are either pretty House Poor, overpaying to rent a condo or house, or got some financial help from family. It doesn’t really make sense in our situation to move to another city in Southern California if home ownership is the goal. If a move were to happen it would really only make sense to move out of state where homes are considerably cheaper and where you get a lot more bang for your buck. At least the sacrifice of leaving all your family and everything you know is “worth it” then. There’s a reason many people are waiting so long to get married and have kids. It’s not uncommon for people to get married in their mid to late thirties and have their first kid when they re pushing 40.

It appears that I prioritized marriage, kids and family to money and career and I guess I’m just going to have to live with that “decision” for now.

Last edited:

TP2000

Wonderful! It's the American Dream, via hard work and planning and personal responsibility. :)

Or you could... keep putting out muffins and juice in a hotel lounge for 40 years and then criticize your lifelong employer on YouTube when you are only making $17 an hour to do that in 2021. :rolleyes:

Cesar R M

Its called the Time Value of Money or TVM. Its a real thing in finance where the value of money in the future is less than the value of money in the past due to inflation.

Long story short, inflation causes the dollar to lose value over time meaning that same dollar has less buying power in the future than in the past. So your parents and grandparents had more buying power at your age than you do today.

None of this has anything to do with whether a person gets a degree or not. Its a fact of how the financial systems work, and has always worked. What a college degree might get you in the long term, besides potentially a lot of debt, is more earning potential. But it will never get you more buying power. A person with a college degree has the same buying power as a person without a college degree. During your parents and grandparents day they could buy more with their dollar than people can today, hence why home ownership and such were possible even with a low wage job.

BTW, no one is saying that getting more education in any form is for suckers. As stated above it provides the ability for more earning potential in the long run. But note that just getting a degree doesn't mean anything. I know plenty of college graduates that are very poor for many reasons, most of which are out of their control.
Thank you!!!!
Thats what I have been trying to say. But the twisting here of words is insane.

Cesar R M

How much money per hour should Glyndanna Shevlin receive in 2021 for smiling at people and putting out muffins and juice every morning in the Disneyland Hotel Lounge as her job as a Lounge Hostess?

I say she should get $18 per hour for that task, plus basic dental/vision/medical benefits.

How much do you think she should get?

Keep in mind she has had that same job in that same lounge since 1988.

"Keep in mind she has had that same job in that same lounge since 1988."
" How much do you think she should get?"

The same wage as 1988 adjusted to inflation.
There.. WAS IT THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

mikewazowskidontyousay_small.jpg

Cesar R M

You mean.. those new jobs that require them to have.. gaaasp.. a smartphone?
Just like some jobs in the 2000's were required to have.. a g.. gassssp.. a computer and a car!!!
HOW DARE THEY!!!!

Care to specify who has said so in this thread or anywhere? Because it seems the normal constant on every post is going to overdramatize, spew BS, twist words, invent attacks and then act offended.

Ironic that you mention "lack of perspective" and "work ethic" and then mention "narcissism" (in a thread where you say that certain X people should not have Y job because "I had it harder in my time" )
While at the same point, actively focusing on a tiny group of people that in no way or form is the standard working person today.

Nope, psychology degrees, business admin degrees, accounting degrees, and a few others but no communications degrees.
The irony is that communication jobs are very sought for, because of the age of information, internet, PR and online AD campaings.
Its pretty much a job that replaced older printed media type marketing jobs.

Step 1: Demand people be available to provide a service for you.
Step 2: Get mad people want to eat and not be homeless while providing that service.
Step 3: Profit?

Reminds me of these memes.

1636789538646.png

Or the hilarious
"If you do not like the pay, stop working and find something else"
And that's what workers did.
And business started to spew hilarious BS like
"We had to close because our staff is lazy".
Pretty much like these hilarious mocking posters about those business.

1636790793446.png

Attachments

• 1636789962552.png
    1636789962552.png
    184.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Snow Queen

Step 4: Realize it's an entry-level service any 18 year old with a high school diploma could easily do.
I don't care who can do it. But I care more that those doing it are compensated in a manner that allows them to live than I do about the poor company having to pay them. If every eighteen year old doing that job was making enough to move out and survive on their own, then good. That holds more value than any corporate profit margin. I don't expect a company to put the wellbeing of employees over their own profit margins, but when those employees look for better compensation for the service demanded of them both by their employers and those paying their employers, then deciding to throw a fit and take up arms in defense of a massive entertainment company jacking up prices to pad executive wallets while employees struggle to make rent is frankly detestable.

Vegas Disney Fan

What’s truly sad is my best friend from high school has a masters in finance, and his wife is a school teacher, and they bought in San Rafael because they couldn’t afford a family home in San Francisco.

They make over a quarter million dollars a year and still had to go 30 miles out of the city to find a home to raise their kids in.

I don’t know how anyone affords a home in the major cities in California, live in your parents home I guess.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

"Keep in mind she has had that same job in that same lounge since 1988."
" How much do you think she should get?"

The same wage as 1988 adjusted to inflation.
There.. WAS IT THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

View attachment 600419

Minimum wage in 1988 was $3.35, that’s the equivalent of $8.01 today according to inflation calculators.

According to that logic she is overpaid, factor in CAs insane housing and we know that’s not true but simply looking at inflation she makes a lot more now than she did then.

Last edited:

smooch

I have a genuine question, do you think Millenials and GenZ'ers don't work? Do you think all we do is take Ubers to go get overpriced coffee or whatever "Instagram worthy snacks" are nearby and don't also work? When you were young and worked tough jobs did you not do anything outside of work for fun? I don't really get this idea that is thrown around that Millenials and Gen Z kids are lazy, we have advancements like Uber and Doordash sure but we also work. I have worked full work weeks at restaurants and retail jobs while taking 5 classes at community college to save money on going to a 4 year immediately, I am lucky now to work in an office job part time but all year round that I have been a temporary intern at for the last 5-6 years during summers and winters to secure myself a job while finishing my degree to work there full time out of college. I am very lucky but I have also had my share of jobs working long hours busting my while also going to school full time (and even had band rehearsals multiple times a week) and still found time to go out with friends. I lived and still live at home (housing here is ridiculously expensive on top of school costs) but then again a very very large percent of young people now live at home due to the rising housing costs and everything else discussed here.

Sure, I agree there are entitled lazy people in this generation who just get money from their parents to do whatever they want, but that has been a thing in every generation. You just see it now because we have social media and your generation didn't. I like to on terminally online Instagram "influencers" as much as anyone else, I don't care about social media at all personally, but at times the older people on here seem to be really disconnected from how hard younger people do work. I don't know anyone my age who hasn't had ty jobs who just sits back and gets free money from their parents to go do whatever they want while they "build their brand" on Instagram to become an influencer. Just because you see those people online does not mean they're the majority. I do think there are a lot of young entitled people but quite frankly there are a lot of middle aged and old entitled people too, I think that is a consequence of a lot of things aside from just social media. Some of the most entitled people I have met are older people who think everything has to go their way and get angry when they don't get 100% what they want. I don't mean to attack you in specific, I just see this sentiment a lot in this thread and it really bothers me how little credit you give the large, vast majority of young people who are working their butts off to afford to live. Yes people talk about their mental health and stuff now and it can be a bit excessive but hey mental health is important and I'm glad my generation talks about it and doesn't believe in a work culture that works people to their bone and doesn't give them time to decompress, it will make people much happier if they think of themselves and take care of themselves.

flynnibus

Premium Member
As you know, it’s all about timing. We have two young kids now and we both work. To comfortably afford a decent home we would have to move pretty far away from all of our family and friends. I’m not going to move far away to still overpay for a ****ty house in a not so great area and then still not be in a position where my wife doesn’t have to work. Meaning now instead of having my parents help watch the kids when necessary I would be reaching to out to strangers/ daycare. I work in Production which is based in LA/ Hollywood so a long commute would be a terrible lifestyle change/ suicidal with the Hours I work sometimes. My wife works in Marketing from home but that’s tough when you have a 1 year old so it’s a fluid situation where I have to be pickier with jobs or ask family for help with watching the kids.

Most friends/ family our age are either pretty House Poor, overpaying to rent a condo or house, or got some financial help from family. It doesn’t really make sense in our situation to move to another city in Southern California if home ownership is the goal. If a move were to happen it would really only make sense to move out of state where homes are considerably cheaper and where you get a lot more bang for your buck. At least the sacrifice of leaving all your family and everything you know is “worth it” then. There’s a reason many people are waiting so long to get married and have kids. It’s not uncommon for people to get married in their mid to late thirties and have their first kid when they re pushing 40.

It appears that I prioritized marriage, kids and family to money and career and I guess I’m just going to have to live with that “decision” for now.

when i went through that i was commuting 1.5hrs each way and had a newborn at home. We rented a townhouse for a year after having the baby. The drive sucked, i woukd stay late at work just trying go minimize it etc. we didn’t live there for friends, closest family was 90mins away.
We dropped the wife’s work that required us to be both in VA and Baltimore (wife commuted an hour in the opposite direction i did) and moved to what was at the time… the edge of the earth.

No friends, family was now over 2hrs away, but it was closer to my work and we could afford a townhouse. You pickup, start new, and make something. Lived in that house for almost 10yrs, made great friends, had more kids, the community and area grew and developed, and liked it so much we held out to buy a sfh in the same neighborhood.

now all my kids have grown up, my closest family is still 2+hrs away, but I’ve now lived in this area longer than what I consider’where i am from’.

life is about choices and sacrifices to push to what you want, or coping with what you are dealt. I’ve been lucky that we haven’t had catastrophic setbacks in my life. But if we never made changes- we’d never benefit from them either. It was hard spending over 60% of my takehome right on a mortgage with a toddler and a second kid on the way. But i pressed to succeed and eventually my earnings grew and it got easier.

i also took a job that was a hourly part time role, fought to full time, multiple promotions, created new roles, and turned it into a 20+ year career. While others around me are still doing the same job they did 10+ years ago.

progress doesn’t come by default. Nk matter how empathetic arguments people make about where peopke ‘should be’… unless we are in a commune everyone doesn’t move forward the same…. And certainly not by just existing

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom