News Main Street Photo Supply Co. Being Replaced By Plaza Point Holiday Shoppe

TP2000

Castle Holiday Shoppe is now closed, we'll just have to wait and see now what it'll be replaced with.

Thanks for the update. It will be interesting to see if they keep it a shop, or if they turn it into Lightning Lane overflow queue for Peter Pan's Flight.

That eastern half of Fantasyland was Imagineered in the 1982-83 Fantasyland redo to evoke England, with the classic English tales of Peter Pan and Mr. Toad. The original store there was Imagineered to fit into that English theme, with the original Heraldry Shoppe, as in English Heraldry (the artistry of British coats of armor, classic British family crests, etc.).

9875277744_8d858be022_b.jpg

oigaew-b88861955z.120161219125857000gn7km90t.10.jpg

If it stays a shop, I can't wait to learn about the fake new shopowner who runs that location. What with the traditional English archictecture and the history of British authors behind it, I'm sure the Disneyland Resort Enhancement team and TDA's HR Department will come up with a fabulous story of a shopkeeper who is a Vietnamese divorcee who has brought to jolly olde England the folklore of the ancient Mayan Peninsula that her supernatural grandmother told her about back in Medieval Garden Grove.

Or something. Check the Disney Parks Blog for updates! ;)

Last edited:

mickEblu

No. Peter Pan is too popular. Lightning Lane for it would leave cash on the table. Peter Plan a la carte, pay-to-play lane in 3, 2.....

Hahah. Seriously though I just can’t see any local/ key holder paying $40 for a family of a four to ride Pan. It’ll either be part of Genie + or nothing at all. But probably Genie +. The Holiday Shoppe closing, Plaza Point opening and Lightning Lane debuting soon would seem to suggest that.

CaptinEO

Hahah. Seriously though I just can’t see any local/ key holder paying $40 for a family of a four to ride Pan. It’ll either be part of Genie + or nothing at all. But probably Genie +. The Holiday Shoppe closing, Plaza Point opening and Lightning Lane debuting soon would seem to suggest that.
They will pay for it and then also brag about what a good deal it was.

DrAlice

They don't need locals or key holders to pay. They just need enough suckers vacationers to pay. I mean, even if only a few families go for it, that's more money than they were making before it existed. And currently the empty shop isn't making anything, so.... 🤷‍♀️

mickEblu

They don't need locals or key holders to pay. They just need enough suckers vacationers to pay. I mean, even if only a few families go for it, that's more money than they were making before it existed. And currently the empty shop isn't making anything, so.... 🤷‍♀️

That’s true which is why it makes sense for Genie +. I mean just look at all the other attractions that are a la carte at DLR and WDW. They re all E tickets except for Spider-Man and Ratatouille which are both new and I suspect won’t be a la carte for long. Well maybe Ratatouille will stick around since their isn’t much for kids to do at that park.

Last edited:

TP2000

So @mickEblu, I went to a dinner party tonight where I knew my Latina friend would be there. (A reminder: She grew up Mexican-American in working-class Pico Rivera in the 1960's, in the mid 70's she married a Japanese guy going to UCLA medical school who is now one of OC's most prominent heart doctors, and she's hysterical and fabulous. A dear friend.)

She already has explained several years ago that anyone who is actually Latino hates the word Latinx because it was invented by pompous white liberals. So at the party tonight during patio cocktails before we were seated I ask her what she thinks of the word "Latine", and she looks at me like I'm crazy and demands I say it again. I say "Latine", as in rhymes with the word latrine, because Raven wouldn't explain how to pronounce it. And she gives a rather shocking Bronx whistle, literally like something from West Side Story, that gets the attention of not just the entire Villa Park community but also another couple at the party who are also Latino. She demands they come over and hear this...

I am then told to say the word again... "Latine", forced to do this trick like a trained whale at Sea World. And I meekly ask what they think of it. I've socialized with the other couple a bit, but don't know them nearly as well as my lady friend, and they look at me like I've got horns growing out of my head. The lady friend finally puts me out of my WASPy misery by laughing hysterically. Then they all laugh, and we all laugh. 🤣

In short.. No, the word "latine" is not being accepted by the Latino community. The guests at this party, longtime members of the SoCal Latino community, all agreed when my lady friend said "You can call me a lot of names and get away with it, but if you try and call me a fake Spanish word like 'Latine' there's going to be a problem."

I couldn't have said it better myself. :cool:

Last edited:

mickEblu

So @mickEblu, I went to a dinner party tonight where I knew my Latina friend would be there. (A reminder: She grew up Mexican-American in working-class Pico Rivera in the 1960's, in the mid 70's she married a Japanese guy going to UCLA medical school who is now one of OC's most prominent heart doctors, and she's hysterical and fabulous. A dear friend.)

She already has explained several years ago that anyone who is actually Latino hates the word Latinx because it was invented by pompous white liberals. So at the party tonight during patio cocktails before we were seated I ask her what she thinks of the word "Latine", and she looks at me like I'm crazy and demands I say it again. I say "Latine", as in rhymes with the word latrine, because Raven wouldn't explain how to pronounce it. And she gives a rather shocking Bronx whistle, literally like something from West Side Story, that gets the attention of not just the entire Villa Park community but also another couple at the party who are also Latino. She demands they come over and hear this...

I am then told to say the word again... "Latine", forced to do this trick like a trained whale at Sea World. And I meekly ask what they think of it. I've socialized with the other couple a bit, but don't know them nearly as well as my lady friend, and they look at me like I've got horns growing out of my head. The lady friend finally puts me out of my WASPy misery by laughing hysterically. Then they all laugh, and we all laugh. 🤣

In short.. No, the word "latine" is not being accepted by the Latino community. The guests at this party, longtime members of the SoCal Latino community, all agreed when my lady friend said "You can call me a lot of names and get away with it, but if you try and call me a fake Spanish word like 'Latine' there's going to be a problem."

I couldn't have said it better myself. :cool:

LOL yeah it’s clear that these words are made up by and primarily used by the far side of a certain political party even if the majority of the people they made up the word for either haven’t heard of it or don’t care for it.

TP2000

LOL yeah it’s clear that these words are made up by and primarily used by the far side of a certain political party even if the majority of the people they made up the word for either haven’t heard of it or don’t care for it.

Yes. Changing another culture's own language to suit your current tastes is the very definition of Cultural Imperialism. And the Latinos of the United States aren't having it.

What I also learned last night is that my petite little Latina friend, barely 5'6" including heels and a dinner party hairdo piled up on her head, can whistle loud enough to stop a train. 🤣

Parteecia

Yes. Changing another culture's own language to suit your current tastes is the very definition of Cultural Imperialism. And the Latinos of the United States aren't having it.

What I also learned last night is that my petite little Latina friend, barely 5'6" including heels and a dinner party hairdo piled up on her head, can whistle loud enough to stop a train. 🤣
Granted, I run in very different social circles than you do but I much preferred Latinx to Latino. Then again, I can't whistle.

TP2000

Granted, I run in very different social circles than you do but I much preferred Latinx to Latino. Then again, I can't whistle.

I've got to ask... Where do you stand on place names like San Diego? Is that also offensive to you? Would you prefer San Diegx? Or San Diege?

Or Los Angeles, with the masculine form of Los instead of Las?

The whistle thing was hysterical! It literally stopped the party, and probably scared the neighbors. But she got the result she wanted, everyone looked at her and she summoned the Latino couple over she wanted to get in on the coversation.

The funniest part of that loud whistle? The only person who didn't even flinch was her husband. 🤣

Parteecia

I've got to ask... Where do you stand on place names like San Diego? Is that also offensive to you? Would you prefer San Diegx? Or San Diege?

Or Los Angeles, with the masculine form of Los instead of Las?

The whistle thing was hysterical! It literally stopped the party, and probably scared the neighbors. But she got the result she wanted, everyone looked at her and she summoned the Latino couple over she wanted to get in on the coversation.

The funniest part of that loud whistle? The only person who didn't even flinch was her husband. 🤣
I am fine with place names. I didn't like the masculine -o to include me as a woman.

When I was young and we ran rampant around a large neighborhood my mother had a whistle we could hear for blocks. We knew it was time to hurry home. I'm sorry I didn't inherit it.

TP2000

I am fine with place names. I didn't like the masculine -o to include me as a woman.

That's completely understandable. I just think the people who speak Spanish should address that, if a majority of them come to the conclusion it's something that needs to be addressed in their language.

The English speaking white people in the faculty lounge will just need to find another hobby.

When I was young and we ran rampant around a large neighborhood my mother had a whistle we could hear for blocks. We knew it was time to hurry home. I'm sorry I didn't inherit it.

I love that! I wish you could have heard my older Latina friend belt out that whistle across the patio last night. It was show-stopping and fantastic. :D

Parteecia

That's completely understandable. I just think the people who speak Spanish should address that, if a majority of them come to the conclusion it's something that needs to be addressed in their language.

The English speaking white people in the faculty lounge will just need to find another hobby.
So of course I saw this today. Sigh.

The National Museum of the American Latino is a future Smithsonian Institution museum dedicated to highlighting the contributions of American Latinos in U.S. history and culture.

TP2000

So of course I saw this today. Sigh.

The National Museum of the American Latino is a future Smithsonian Institution museum dedicated to highlighting the contributions of American Latinos in U.S. history and culture.

I thought of you and @mickEblu when I read this in the news today. We'd discussed that 2019 poll where only 3% of Hispanics in the US liked the term that a bunch of pompous academics on campus came up with to describe them; Latinx.

There's a brand new poll from 2021 of Hispanics in the US from the left-leaning Politico group, and the support of the term Latinx has declined from 3% to... 2%. And 40% of Hispanics are openly offended by the use of the term in conversation. 😲

This quote from a Democratic campaign leader made me laugh, and sums up the patronizing Cultural Imperialism of "Latinx" beautifully. “Why are we using a word that is preferred by only 2 percent, but offends as many as 40 percent of those voters we want to win?”

2%!!! No word yet on what tenth of a percent of Hispanics like the word Latine (rhymes with latrine) instead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom