Disney+ Day Kicks Off Global Celebration With Week-Long, Company-Wide Promotions

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
Original Poster

In celebration of Disney+ Day, Disney+ subscribers with a valid ticket or pass and theme park reservation on November 12 will enjoy special benefits across Disney theme parks, with some surprises in store as well. Disney+ subscribers are invited with their travel party to enter the theme parks at the Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort 30 minutes before the parks open. For even more fanfare, Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Park will roll out the blue carpet for guests with character moments, photo opportunities and more. Subscribers will also enjoy complimentary Disney PhotoPass photo download(s) taken at select locations.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
🤣🤣🤣

Bob - “We need a feel-good PR event like Amazon Prime Day. What can we do?”

Underling - “Disney+ Day!”

Bob - “Perfect! What can we do that costs nothing but makes the sheep… errr… consumers… think they are special?”
It is laughable

a “streaming day” in the parks

but I’m happy that those who will be there might get some tangible benefits

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you guys are too-easily dismissing the content drops and their ability to attract and retain subscribers. I know several people who are keeping or renewing their subscriptions because this coming wave of content includes things like Shang Chi, Get Back, Hawkeye, and Boba Fett.
Nobody is debating the “yet to be profitable” streaming service…

it has ZERO to do with the parks. Like not even a smidgen

sullyinMT

Nobody is debating the “yet to be profitable” streaming service…

it has ZERO to do with the parks. Like not even a smidgen
It could, though. We enjoyed the heck out of the cooking show competition where families cooked together and competed to win a Dream cruise. It was shot somewhere backstage, they did parks and IP tie-ins and experiences every episode, and highlighted a handful of WDW executive chefs. It was the kind of synergy really only available to Disney, and I hope they do more of it as content production returns to normal.

This is a weak cross-promotion. Maybe not as bad as mailing in a Zombie Iron Man from this week’s “What If …?” M&G, but still feels forced upon the park.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It could, though. We enjoyed the heck out of the cooking show competition where families cooked together and competed to win a Dream cruise. It was shot somewhere backstage, they did parks and IP tie-ins and experiences every episode, and highlighted a handful of WDW executive chefs. It was the kind of synergy really only available to Disney, and I hope they do more of it as content production returns to normal.

This is a weak cross-promotion. Maybe not as bad as mailing in a Zombie Iron Man from this week’s “What If …?” M&G, but still feels forced upon the park.
It’s related in that it’s Disney…I guess that’s an easy way to look at it.

but there is little if any crossover potential in wdw. Their most popular streaming shows have already been locked out of wdw or can’t be used for contractural purposes

celluloid

I think you guys are too-easily dismissing the content drops and their ability to attract and retain subscribers. I know several people who are keeping or renewing their subscriptions because this coming wave of content includes things like Shang Chi, Get Back, Hawkeye, and Boba Fett.

That is good that they are keeping some subscribers. It is a long term business. The reason Netflix got rid of its Marvel series before Disney Plus was that the budget was too high to be profitable. It is not like cable channels, where there are contracts. Streaming is a difficult business.

sullyinMT

It’s related in that it’s Disney…I guess that’s an easy way to look at it.

but there is little if any crossover potential in wdw. Their most popular streaming shows have already been locked out of wdw or can’t be used for contractural purposes
I don’t know how much they really need to promote the parks to D+ subscribers, but I’m thinking more in that direction than vice versa.

I’m all in on the D+ promotion on ESPN, GMA, etc, this week. Lighting up DLP’s ToT D+ blue for 30 minutes is forced, lazy, and unnecessary. I agree that has no place.

I’m thinking more along using the service to highlight the parks on D+. The Nat Geo behind the scenes at AK, for example. Or the new sunrise series. Maybe a few human interest stories for runDisney events. They’d probably get a few eyeballs for a NYC nurse who battled the first wave of the pandemic coming down for marathon weekend. Follow her week in the parks, special experiences, etc. Do that for a couple people, maybe a COVID survivor, a teacher, and a dad who found himself juggling a new WFH position and getting the kids ready for school with run training. Then follow the run for each of them in the finale episode.

I agree the parks can’t/shouldn’t be used to promote D+ very much. Especially not in this shoehorned fashion. Again - two years to do something and this is what we get. Just don’t bother, then. But content can be created in the other direction, even minimally, at real overly low cost but to real commercial benefit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom