News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is what I believe needs to change. That’s what I meant when I said if the current leadership can’t find a way, maybe we need to find someone who can.

Just because some people are throwing fits over proof of vaccine requirements doesn’t mean we (the ones who are vaccinated and doing all we can to end this thing) have to give in to them and continue to mask with no end in sight.
It’s not an “individual Liberty” kinda thing. It never was..that was political “meat” thrown to the dogs.

all is the only thing that has ever worked in health scenarios…which was known by those that knew from the start.

“why should I have to do it?”
Because of the lowest common denominator. Anyone thinking otherwise should invest in some Florida swampland. 🐊

Trauma

It’s not an “individual Liberty” kinda thing. It never was..that was political “meat” thrown to the dogs.

all is the only thing that has ever worked in health scenarios…which was known by those that knew from the start.

“why should I have to do it?”
Because of the lowest common denominator. Anyone thinking otherwise should invest in some Florida swampland. 🐊
Let me try to explain my perspective with my limited ability to be articulate.

I have followed all the rules including rules currently in place at all times.

My entire family is vaccinated.

I understand that masking is an form of mitigation however is much less effective than the vaccine.

Now that the bio is over let’s move on from there…

The most rationale argument in my eyes put forward post vaccine and delta has been the need to protect the children.

That is changing and I’m fully aware it will take 4-5 weeks but everyone above the age of 5 will have had access to the vaccines.

Furthermore there are multiple pills up for approval that reduce the chance of hospitalization although I will admit complete ignorance about them.

So in a few weeks time who am I protecting from masking?

Well that’s a complicated question that deserves some thought.

The obvious answer is the unvaccinated.

That’s not the complete answer as we still have immunocompromised the elderly etc, however I assume the unvaccinated would be by far the largest remaining at risk group.

So what do we do about that?

Do me mask indefinitely waiting for our political system to find a way to mandate the vaccine?

After all if the unvaccinated become infected they can take the pill and have greatly improved odds.

How far should I consider the health of others who refuse to take responsibility for themselves?

I’m not asking these questions rhetorically, I’m asking because internally I struggle with this.

If we had 99% vaccination rates we wouldn’t be masking.

That’s why I hate the mask. To me it’s a symbol of the ultimate evil, betrayal.

I feel betrayed by those who ignore the call to the common good in exchange for selfish individualism.

Yes I’m aware masking is also a call to the common good but unnecessary if the ultimate good was considered universally.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

I understand that masking is an form of mitigation however is much less effective than the vaccine.

The most rationale argument in my eyes put forward post vaccine and delta has been the need to protect the children.

That is changing and I’m fully aware it will take 4-5 weeks but everyone above the age of 5 will have had access to the vaccines.

Furthermore there are multiple pills up for approval that reduce the chance of hospitalization although I will admit complete ignorance about them.

That’s not the complete answer as we still have immunocompromised the elderly etc, however I assume the unvaccinated would be by far the largest remaining at risk group.

Do me mask indefinitely waiting for our political system to find a way to mandate the vaccine?

After all if the unvaccinated become infected they can take the pill and have greatly improved odds.

How far should I consider the health of others who refuse to take responsibility for themselves?

I’m not asking these questions rhetorically, I’m asking because internally I struggle with this.

I feel betrayed by those who ignore the call to the common good in exchange for selfish individualism.

Yes I’m aware masking is also a call to the common good but unnecessary if the ultimate good was considered universally.
You don’t need to justify why you think masks needs to be dropped everywhere. At this point, it’s up to others to justify why they should be kept. And the most significant reason left that was being used is currently being knocked out. So almost at the point where there is almost no justification.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

it doesn’t matter what you or anyone does…the whole point of public health response is to get EVERYONE.
Remember when measles flared on the west coast a few years ago due to anti-vaxxers? Because viruses only exist to transmit. Period. They don’t “give up” like the fourth quarter of a football game.

so the mitigation is to attempt to not have ANY pockets…and any transmission…which would create more chance of mutation and recurring spread.

its pretty simple…actually. Mitigation has eased…but it’s not really “wise” to do it either. It’s a flawed world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Casper Gutman

I completely agree with almost all of this, with two notes.

We do have to consider the folks who, for medical reasons, really CANT get vaxxed - they’re really being unfairly impacted by the idiotic anti-vax nonsense.

I don’t think I have ever shown any reluctance on these boards to blame WDW for anything, but the mask situation really isn’t their fault. I’m more then happy to let them be cautious, even over-cautious, in a world where a lot of other powerful folks are willing to gamble with thousands of lives.

Finally, if the Pfizer pill works as well as it appears to, I think we can all take off the masks once and for all and move on to the next global disaster.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You don’t need to justify why you think masks needs to be dropped everywhere. At this point, it’s up to others to justify why they should be kept. And the most significant reason left that was being used is currently being knocked out. So almost at the point where there is almost no justification.

anyway…it’s all going to die down - we hope - but “no sense” entering the winter may not prove to be correct. We just don’t know for sure…you wanna go back??

oh HELL no

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I completely agree with almost all of this, with two notes.

We do have to consider the folks who, for medical reasons, really CANT get vaxxed - they’re really being unfairly impacted by the idiotic anti-vax nonsense seems.

I don’t think I have ever shown any reluctance on these boards to blame WDW for anything, but the mask situation really isn’t their fault. I’m more then happy to let them be cautious, even over-cautious, in a world where a lot of other powerful folks are willing to gamble with thousands of lives.

Finally, if the Pfizer pill works as well as it appears to, I think we can all take off the masks once and for all and move on to the next global disaster.
The only thing Disney has done wrong is allowed a terrible manager to completely tone deaf try to ram through more outrageous price goals. Which is a longterm drain/mistake.

the health stuff? They’ve done a fairly decent job.

Trauma

it doesn’t matter what you or anyone does…the whole point of public health response is to get EVERYONE.
Remember when measles flared on the west coast a few years ago due to anti-vaxxers? Because viruses only exist to transmit. Period. They don’t “give up” like the fourth quarter of a football game.

so the mitigation is to attempt to not have ANY pockets…and any transmission…which would create more chance of mutation and recurring spread.

its pretty simple…actually. Mitigation has eased…but it’s not really “wise” to do it either. It’s a flawed world.
Continue to use small words for me, I honestly appreciate it.

In order for this to make sense doesn’t it require the end goal to be Covid zero?

The Mom

Premium Member
I don't know. It seems that many of the parts of FL that are doing less following of CDC guidelines have come down to "moderate" spread sooner. They may have been in worse shape a couple of months ago but nothing indicates that there is any benefit to Disney continuing to follow the guidelines at this point.

View attachment 599142
IMO, if WDW only had FL residents visiting, there would be no need to mask. But I see a whole lot of red on that map, and those people may be coming to FL and WDW in particular..

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Continue to use small words for me, I honestly appreciate it.

In order for this to make sense doesn’t it require the end goal to be Covid zero?
I’m not a doctor. But I think the deal of this…as opposed to other viral outbreaks…is it really does wreck people that get a serious case. NOT the flu.

it’s a painful and agonizing way to go. The media has not done a great job of showing that. They interview widows and parents for sob stories. Honestly…should have run the cameras into the hospitals and shown the actual problem. They can’t for privacy…of course…but I’m told by those that have worked in the medical field that the severity was never displayed properly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't know. It seems that many of the parts of FL that are doing less following of CDC guidelines have come down to "moderate" spread sooner. They may have been in worse shape a couple of months ago but nothing indicates that there is any benefit to Disney continuing to follow the guidelines at this point.

View attachment 599142
you also were very local in early 2020 about how “great” Florida was doing. And that turned out to be “not correct”

IMO, if WDW only had FL residents visiting, there would be no need to mask. But I see a whole lot of red on that map, and those people may be coming to FL and WDW in particular..
The map was flipped about 4 months ago, Mom…so I’m not sure they have anything figured out. That there looks like a pattern from NATURE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom