News Disney Park Pass System announced for Walt Disney World theme park reservations

peter11435

If they can easily forecast park attendance, and therefore staff accordingly, what's the end goal of Park Passes?
They have a variety of tools and methods they have used for decades to accurately forecast park attendance. This information is used to develop park hours and determine staffing levels. They are generally accurate within a few percentage points.

Park pass helps with attendance forecasting but even that is off by a few percentage points due to no-shows, park hopping, and a few other reasons. But the benefit of park pass is that it doesn’t only allow you to control how many guests will be in the park, but also who those guests will be.

UNCgolf

They have a variety of tools and methods they have used for decades to accurately forecast park attendance. This information is used to develop park hours and determine staffing levels. They are generally accurate within a few percentage points.

Park pass helps with attendance forecasting but even that is off by a few percentage points due to no-shows, park hopping, and a few other reasons. But the benefit of park pass is that it doesn’t only allow you to control how many guests will be in the park, but also who those guests will be.

Doesn't it only control APs vs. non-APs?

If that's the case, why not only require it for AP holders and not regular tickets?

DisneyJoe

Doesn't it only control APs vs. non-APs?

If that's the case, why not only require it for AP holders and not regular tickets?
It controls 3 groups - those with Disney resort reservations, those with non-AP tickets who don't have a resort reservation, and those with an AP.

UNCgolf

It controls 3 groups - those with Disney resort reservations, those with non-AP tickets who don't have a resort reservation, and those with an AP.

I didn't think there was any difference between on-site and off-site. Can't you make a park reservation as soon as you buy a ticket regardless of where you are staying? I also don't remember reading anywhere that there was any special allocation for on-site guests.

DisneyJoe

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-04 162238.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-11-04 162238.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 101

CntrlFlPete

Exactly! I would purchase in a minute an AP with as little as 15 anytime visits, no park pass reservations needed.

but the park pass system makes you accept the COVID disclaimers for you visit, I imagine it allows for changes as you would most likely use those in groups of five--with the park pass system, you could end up agreeing to three completely different waivers as verbiage is updated.

really just trying to think of a reason for the system other than attendance forecasting

I would guess the three categories would be a way to balance the crowds. I would bet they have data that suggest something like -- an AP not on site might stop by for a few hours, only hit 0 to 3 rides -- GP and on site APs might be more likely to hit 8 or so hours... stuff like that could help them try to balance days based on traits of the three groups bucketed into attendance.

gerarar

Premium Member
My family and I decide to book a last minute vacation during Christmas week. What are the chances that MK opens up on the 24th or 25th (day tickets)?

I saw that reservations recently opened up during Thanksgiving week, so hoping the same happens for Christmas day/eve.
Our current plan/booked reservation is Epcot on Christmas 😅

We did MK during Christmas 2019 and it was lots of fun tbh. Really crowded but we did everything we wanted to do, and got to see a great firework show to wrap up the day — MWCF

Last edited:

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
My family and I decide to book a last minute vacation during Christmas week. What are the chances that MK opens up on the 24th or 25th (day tickets)?

I saw that reservations recently opened up during Thanksgiving week, so hoping the same happens for Christmas day/eve.

We did MK during Christmas 2019 and it was lots of fun tbh. Really crowded but we did everything we wanted to do, and got to see a great firework show to wrap up the day — MWCF
I would say your chances are good. Also you are brave! I did MK on Christmas Day once and that was enough for this lifetime.

DisneyDodo

Park Passes don’t only allow Disney to forecast attendance, but to control it. For example, if one park is tracking for higher attendance than the other three on a particular day, Disney can close it off to additional reservations (or close it off to APs only).

peter11435

Park Passes don’t only allow Disney to forecast attendance, but to control it. For example, if one park is tracking for higher attendance than the other three on a particular day, Disney can close it off to additional reservations (or close it off to APs only).
Exactly. Like I said before. Park pass is not necessary to forecast attendance. They can do that without Park pass. Park pass allows them to control attendance and dictate who, when, and where.

Disstevefan1

Exactly. Like I said before. Park pass is not necessary to forecast attendance. They can do that without Park pass. Park pass allows them to control attendance and dictate who, when, and where.
And if you can control attendance, you can size your resources to match, keeping operating costs to a minimum.

CntrlFlPete

Which rides do you think have changes in ride vehicles based on attendance? I mean, maybe January vs July, but Few rides do. Splash ALWAYS has a log backup at the end. As does IASW.

splash has railings for the unload area that are removable. Splash has a better throughput when they have multiple unload spots open verses them having only one unload spot open (as an example of how Disney slows things down when it is less busy). I am also certain that they do remove logs as well. It is just that the log jam is caused by having fewer employees during the slower times.

gerarar

Premium Member

Replying to myself....but Christmas Eve and Christmas Day just opened up for the MK a few minutes ago!

1636519573713.png

and....switched our reservations booked!
1636519505729.png

I setup a bot to ping me whenever MK opens up on 12/24 or 12/25, and it worked!
Here are the API endpoints/URLs I used to watch with my bot..
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/a...ckets&startDate=2021-12-24&endDate=2021-12-25
And the park IDs are (comes from here)
80007838 - EPCOT
80007823 - AK
80007944 - MK
80007998 - HS

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom