Disney forcing us to $pend even more at their re$ort$

What is the most outrageous of the outrageous price gouging that Disney is currently engaged in?

• Converting the FREE Fast Pass system to the PAID Genie+ with less benefits

• Increasing Annual Pass prices while slashing the benefits

• Eliminating FREE parking at the resorts and charging a per night fee

• Raising resort room rates dramatically and forcing guests to book a minimum of 2 nights

• Charging $5,000+ for the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser experience

• Eliminating FREE Magic Bands for resort guests and charging for them instead

• ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Results are only viewable after voting.

OG Runner

I wasn't arguing WDW vs. Universal -- I was solely talking about hotel value. I like WDW a lot more than Universal, but staying at one of the Universal deluxe hotels is no comparison with Disney in terms of value for your money. The Royal Pacific is arguably a nicer hotel than the Polynesian and offers much better perks, but costs significantly less.

I guess I was arguing the point of WDW vs. Universal, in that the perks you noted in fact are for smaller parks, less rides and though you may feel it is a nicer hotel, how much time do you spend in your room. I have also gone to both the Royal Pacific's luau and the luau at the Polynesian and Disney wins again.

UNCgolf

I guess I was arguing the point of WDW vs. Universal, in that the perks you noted in fact are for smaller parks, less rides and though you may feel it is a nicer hotel, how much time do you spend in your room. I have also gone to both the Royal Pacific's luau and the luau at the Polynesian and Disney wins again.

There's a pretty strong rumor that the luau at the Polynesian isn't coming back, but obviously that's not confirmed.

Does Universal have less rides? It has less parks, obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more rides on average at Universal's parks than there are at Disney's. That only matters if you like Universal's rides, of course -- I much prefer Disney's rides, which is why I don't really go to Universal.

Anyways, my main point remains that the Royal Pacific offers a much higher value for your money than the Polynesian (or any Disney deluxe outside of maybe the Animal Kingdom Lodge). If you don't like Universal then obviously it's still not worth it for you, but that doesn't mean the Polynesian gains any value. It's absurd what they charge for it compared to what you actually get, but people are willing to pay those prices, so...

OG Runner

There's a pretty strong rumor that the luau at the Polynesian isn't coming back, but obviously that's not confirmed.

Does Universal have less rides? It has less parks, obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more rides on average at Universal's parks than there are at Disney's. That only matters if you like Universal's rides, of course -- I much prefer Disney's rides, which is why I don't really go to Universal.

Anyways, my main point remains that the Royal Pacific offers a much higher value for your money than the Polynesian (or any Disney deluxe outside of maybe the Animal Kingdom Lodge). If you don't like Universal then obviously it's still not worth it for you, but that doesn't mean the Polynesian gains any value. It's absurd what they charge for it compared to what you actually get, but people are willing to pay those prices, so...

Well if you want to get into pricing insanity you should have mentioned the Polynesian bungalows.
The nice hut looking rooms over the water they are only about $2,500 a night. Now that is value! o_O

eliza61nyc

Well if you want to get into pricing insanity you should have mentioned the Polynesian bungalows.
The nice hut looking rooms over the water they are only about $2,500 a night. Now that is value! o_O
Lol I'm thinking the "value " style guest is not who is booking those rooms.
What's the old adage from JP Morgan..."if you have to ask the price you probably can't afford it "
I've always been curious about the occupancy rate of those bungalows.

RoadiJeff

Hi! Just to confirm, I checked the Universal Orlando website and the Hard Rock, Portofino and Pacifica are the only resorts that include the express pass. This is current information.
OK, thanks for the update. That makes me feel better about staying at the Comfort Inn down the road from Dockside and paying $170 for a basic Express Pass for one day at Universal. I could have stayed at Dockside for a few days but I was going to have to move to a different hotel in the middle of my stay and I didn't want to hassle with all that.

SteveBrickNJ

Disney has never been affordable to everyone. Sorry I clearly remember many a person complaining about the cost in the 80s. One of the problems is that people view a Disney vacation as some sort of "right". That since they went as kids they should be able to go forever at a price they like or since they grew up with Walt, he somehow was a benevolent uncle , if Walt wanted to make it accessible for all families he should have kept it privately owned and gave away tickets.
They unfortunately now have stockholders who are the first priority.
I agree with @Tom P. It's simple. yes Disney current game plan is to get the most money legally possible from its guest. It's up to each guest to decide if the asking price is worth the product.
Regarding your last sentence, this former customer ( 5 previous visits ) feels they do NOT deserve my business. It seems like greed driven pricing. I will not go.

SteveBrickNJ

I like going to WDW and I’ll make it work for me and my family, even with the higher prices.

If you don’t want to go because you feel you are paying too much, then don’t go. But another family will gladly pay those prices. That will not change. The demand is clearly there.
Any family that goes is going because they assume they will enjoy themselves... but "gladly pay those prices" is maybe not the best phrase to use. "Willingly paying those robbery prices" might be more accurate.

giantgolfer

Any family that goes is going because they assume they will enjoy themselves... but "gladly pay those prices" is maybe not the best phrase to use. "Willingly paying those robbery prices" might be more accurate.
I disagree. I don’t find it’s robbery if my family gets enjoyment out of it. Money we’ll spent, in my opinion. Is it more than the past? Sure. But what isn’t more expensive these days?

SteveBrickNJ

I disagree. I don’t find it’s robbery if my family gets enjoyment out of it. Money we’ll spent, in my opinion. Is it more than the past? Sure. But what isn’t more expensive these days?
Milk and Orange juice MAYBE went up a dollar per carton. THIS is not like that. You can do whatever you want of course but don't make it seem like their price grabs are simply just normal inflation🙄

Lou Filerman

So don’t go. Vote with your wallet. I for one am fine paying more money to improve my experience. If this results in less people in the park and it helps me I’m all for it.

giantgolfer

Milk and Orange juice MAYBE went up a dollar per carton. THIS is not like that. You can do whatever you want of course but don't make it seem like their price grabs are simply just normal inflation🙄
This IS just like that. It’s basic supply and demand. The demand is there. The supply (staffing, rooms, food, etc) is not there. How many billions of dollars did Disney lose because of the pandemic? You have to remember that they are a business. They are going to try and make up for those losses on the people who are still willing to go. Any smart business will. The ones who don’t fade away. Prices were going to rise no matter what. I don’t get why people can’t understand that.

Again, no one is forcing anyone to go. But people will still go and pay the current prices. We are going next week. Can’t wait!!

eliza61nyc

Lol I don't know Steve. IMO we are making it sound like today's consumers are some how "duped" into paying wdw prices.
At this point Disney has a well earned reputation if being ridiculously expensive so I can see how someone might say us folks who go "gladly " pay the price.
I guess one could interchange them. Maybe it's a question of nuances.

So one of my bad personality traits is impatience. I've got the patience of a knat. Which means I hate supermarket shopping with nuclear capability. No joke. I will gladly pay 7 bucks for a gallon of milk at my local wawa minimart just to not have to go to the store. (Luckily I marry a wonderful guy that was a whiz at food shopping).

I think it goes back to the original post, if we decide to still go, is Disney "forcing" us. I went in September for 10 days, loved every second ❤ when I go back I guess the argument could be I'm happily paying the price....

Lol although I'll "gladly" take any help for my next trip

Just some rambling, there have been some recent Disney moves that are simply greedy money grabs

GimpYancIent

They are counting (and getting) all folks to empty their wallets, see DG+ and ILL…
Regulars are knowledgeable when / where to spend and how to pay what they want. Regulars are also spacing out visits more and more. The rest are pretty much every few years or one timers that do a splurge and that's it. No I do not see folks emptying wallets rather I see more frugal spending and fewer trips. Fewer people are leaving the Disney properties with the "when can we do this again" motivation compared to before.

SteveBrickNJ

Lol I don't know Steve. IMO we are making it sound like today's consumers are some how "duped" into paying wdw prices.
At this point Disney has a well earned reputation if being ridiculously expensive so I can see how someone might say us folks who go "gladly " pay the price.
I guess one could interchange them. Maybe it's a question of nuances.

So one of my bad personality traits is impatience. I've got the patience of a knat. Which means I hate supermarket shopping with nuclear capability. No joke. I will gladly pay 7 bucks for a gallon of milk at my local wawa minimart just to not have to go to the store. (Luckily I marry a wonderful guy that was a whiz at food shopping).

I think it goes back to the original post, if we decide to still go, is Disney "forcing" us. I went in September for 10 days, loved every second ❤ when I go back I guess the argument could be I'm happily paying the price....

Lol although I'll "gladly" take any help for my next trip

Just some rambling, there have been some recent Disney moves that are simply greedy money grabs
I like your style of posting @eliza61nyc . I thank you for the manner in which you presented your viewpoint.
I must admit that my wife and I had the long range goal that once our daughter who is a college sophomore....once she graduated...she'd get married...then have a child....then we as future grandparents would "gladly" take our daughter, her husband and our grandchild to Disney. That hypothetical wish is far in the future but I do in a way feel that we middleclass folks (I'm an experienced teacher) should be able to have that dream. Not just the rich. I know Disney owes it to their shareholders to make profit, not keep things affordable for the middle class. I understand that.....but I don't like it. Others don't like it. I certainly could buy my milk at Wawa but I get it at Aldi. I have a ton of savings but God didn't bless me with that savings so I could spend $600 a night at Pop Century just because it is peak demand season. I still have to be a good steward of what I have.
That's what I have to do. Others are free to do whatever they want as well.
I'm just sharing my thoughts in case anyone is actually brave to agree with me :)

GimpYancIent

I like your style of posting @eliza61nyc . I thank you for the manner in which you presented your viewpoint.
I must admit that my wife and I had the long range goal that once our daughter who is a college sophomore....once she graduated...she'd get married...then have a child....then we as future grandparents would "gladly" take our daughter, her husband and our grandchild to Disney. That hypothetical wish is far in the future but I do in a way feel that we middleclass folks (I'm an experienced teacher) should be able to have that dream. Not just the rich. I know Disney owes it to their shareholders to make profit, not keep things affordable for the middle class. I understand that.....but I don't like it. Others don't like it. I certainly could buy my milk at Wawa but I get it at Aldi. I have a ton of savings but God didn't bless me with that savings so I could spend $600 a night at Pop Century just because it is peak demand season. I still have to be a good steward of what I have.
I'm just sharing my thoughts in case anyone is actually brave to agree with me :)
Yes! As a grandparent I have been fortunate to have been able to take my children and grandchildren regularly to WDW but in the last two years the experience has deteriorated to where I am on hold for any future Disney plans. My children and grandchildren want to do other things and darn if they don't cost less.

SteveBrickNJ

Maybe the OP of this thread @HiddenMickeySearch will give some feedback to my posts?

Toodycat

I’m a fellow teacher. None of us chose that career for the $$. You sound like a great dad and future granddad. I’m sure that when that day comes, you will find a way to make the family trip happen. It may not be 10 days or at the GF, but don’t fret. Also, I think this thread has made it sound like some things are worse than they are. I just checked prices for Memorial Day weekend, looking to see how expensive the values are on a high demand week. All Star is at $207 and Pop is at $251. I’m not saying that‘s great value for your money, but you’d have to stay at a deluxe Epcot/MK resort to hit $600+/night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom