Disney forcing us to $pend even more at their re$ort$

What is the most outrageous of the outrageous price gouging that Disney is currently engaged in?

• Converting the FREE Fast Pass system to the PAID Genie+ with less benefits

• Increasing Annual Pass prices while slashing the benefits

• Eliminating FREE parking at the resorts and charging a per night fee

• Raising resort room rates dramatically and forcing guests to book a minimum of 2 nights

• Charging $5,000+ for the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser experience

• Eliminating FREE Magic Bands for resort guests and charging for them instead

• ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Results are only viewable after voting.

UNCgolf

I heard a theory about the parking fees a few years back when Disney first started imposing them. Someone said they might be doing it to discourage guests from arriving in their own vehicles where they could more easily head over to Universal for a day or somewhere else besides Disney during their stay. If they are at the Disney resort and they have to rely on Disney transportation they are trapped into doing strictly Disney things.

Makes sense to me.

That was a plausible argument at the time, but it doesn't really make sense with the elimination of the Magical Express.

LittleBuford

This is such a silly, pointless thing to say. No business is ever forcing potential customers to do anything.

Why would you even bother to comment with something as asinine as this?
I see what you’re saying, but I do think the rhetoric of compulsion is overused in these forums. People frame things in such a way that you’d think Disney was forcing them to visit against their will. I’ve no objection to someone expressing a certain amount of ambivalence—“I no longer enjoy Disney as I once did, but I still feel an attachment to the place and continue to go”—but posts that make it seem as if we are all at Disney’s mercy and have no agency of our own strike me as a little farfetched and silly.

UNCgolf

I see what you’re saying, but I do think the rhetoric of compulsion is overused in these forums. People frame things in such a way that you’d think Disney was forcing them to visit against their will. I’ve no objection to someone expressing a certain amount of ambivalence—“I no longer enjoy Disney as I once did, but I still feel an attachment to the place and continue to go”—but posts that make it seem as if we are all at Disney’s mercy and have no agency of our own strike me as a little farfetched and silly.

Sure, but that's not what his comment suggested. His comment suggested no one should ever complain about anything ever -- not just for Disney but from any business ever. It would be more understandable if this whole thread was full of that kind of rhetoric, but most of it isn't; it's legitimate complaints about things like parking fees.

I know you're not happy with what some of what they've done in the Morocco pavilion -- whether he meant it this way or not, his comment essentially says you shouldn't be going to Disney (or at least to EPCOT) since you've expressed any discontent with anything at all.

If he'd quoted a specific post it may have come across differently, but as is it sounds like he's applying it broadly to any complaints anyone has anywhere. Even if he had quoted a specific post, saying "you can go or not, stop whining" is incredibly unproductive. It's an attempt to shut down all discussion.

Someone can afford to stay on property and prefer to do so but still be unhappy with some of the things they've done. It's not an all or nothing proposition.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Sure, but that's not what his comment suggested. His comment suggested no one should ever complain about anything ever -- not just for Disney but from any business ever. It would be more understandable if this whole thread was full of that kind of rhetoric, but most of it isn't; it's legitimate complaints about things like parking fees.

I know you're not happy with what some of what they've done in the Morocco pavilion -- whether he meant it this way or not, his comment essentially says you shouldn't be going to Disney (or at least to EPCOT) since you've expressed any discontent with anything at all.

If he'd quoted a specific post it may have come across differently, but as is it sounds like he's applying it broadly to any complaints anyone has anywhere. Even if he had quoted a specific post, saying "you can go or not, stop whining" is incredibly unproductive. It's an attempt to shut down all discussion.

Someone can afford to stay on property and prefer to do so but still be unhappy with some of the things they've done. It's not an all or nothing proposition.
This is fair, and you’re right that his post was suggesting something different from my own point. To clarify, I’ve no problem with the complaints themselves (as you note, I’ve voiced some of my own recently); I just wish the rhetoric were less charged and hyperbolic (I’d like to see terms like “forced” and “abused” dropped).

Lilofan

This is such a silly, pointless thing to say. No business is ever forcing potential customers to do anything.

Why would you even bother to comment with something as asinine as this?
One point is some still complain about the pricing which they accepted to pay or planning to pay in the first place . Chill out, Tar Heel! No one forced them to go.

Last edited:

chama1

I knew businesses were going to try to make up for monies lost during the pandemic but the prices are over the top. That being said I will still visit Disney but won't be staying at their resorts the ones in the area are just fine and cheaper, my shopping will be on a tight budget, will only dine at my favorite spots during special occasions, and visit during the low season which will allow me to enjoy more with less crowds. I have a annual pass but with the cost increase I'll have to get a weekday pass. Since I don't go to the most "popular" rides I really don't need "Genie". I still have Disney Springs for the Holiday events which are free...Disney can be done but you really have to budget...For those who can afford it enjoy.

GimpYancIent

One point is some still complain about the pricing which they accepted to pay or planning to pay in the first place . Chill out, Tar Heel! No one forced them to go.
Correct! Don't like the pricing? Don't like the experience? Don't like the product? Then don't go! There are many entertainment venues country wide that can satisfy in many way's, YES, there is entertainment out there that is not Disney! Ahhhhh! On the serious business side Disney will adjust / modify / return to what made it successful when the turn stiles stop turning, unsold merchandise starts piling up and profits begin to dry up. Share holders will want accountability when dividend checks shrivel up and stop. It's is a slow painful thing to happen but current management is bound and determined to get there. As for guests / tourists, vacationers, well simply put there are many things to see, go to and do soooo the folks will be just fine.

Weather_Lady

As others said, nobody is forced to do any of this. Despite what the shrill mommy bloggers proclaim in their giant "must-do Disney" lists to prey upon families' fear of missing out, there is literally no such thing as a "must-have" at WDW, other than park tickets.

My family will be visiting for a couple days in February. We won't be staying onsite, we have old MagicBands to use, we won't be purchasing Genie+ or individual Lighting Lane access, we won't buy APs, we won't be parking anywhere on property, and we have no interest in Galactic Starcruiser at that price unless it's actually taking us to space. In addition, there will be no Disney souvenir shopping, no MemoryMaker (just photos on our own cameras and phones), no parties, and no dining plan. I have every reason to think we'll still have a great time and make wonderful memories.

If Disney has "forced" us to do anything by its recent upcharges (although when I say "recent," I really mean over the past several years), it's been "forcing" us to stay offsite, expand our horizons and enjoy other area attractions, and spend less time and money at Disney World. (Of course, the more times one visits WDW, the less time one needs to accomplish their must-dos, and the more efficiently one can get them done anyway.) In fact, we now spend significantly less money on our Orlando vacations overall, even after accounting for the added expense of rideshares and non-Disney attractions. It's a net loss for Disney, but a win for my family. If Disney had kept everything as it was -- free MagicBands, free parking, hotel discounts, DME, etc. -- we might never have left the "bubble," and would never have had to wean ourselves off of all those expensive Disney "must-dos," only to discover that we could have just as much fun without them.

So, Disney... thanks?

Last edited:

John park hopper

I wonder if the Disney bean counters are aware that as they raise prices to ridiculous levels repeat guests actually spend less or are they counting on the first time visitor emptying their wallet for the magic

Lilofan

I wonder if the Disney bean counters are aware that as they raise prices to ridiculous levels repeat guests actually spend less or are they counting on the first time visitor emptying their wallet for the magic
Perhaps some go to WDW spend above their means then make the minimum payments on their credit cards.

eliza61nyc

I'm not sure that it's a straight line "cause and effect" do repeat visitors spend less due to cost or from the fact that they skip all the extras. Folks I know spend less because #1 they aren't buying souvenirs. After decades of trips they simply don't need more junk.
#2 we know what we like and how to save with little tips. For example the price of soda at the world doesn't faze me primarily because in Philadelphia we have a Sugar tax, so 3.50 for a bottle of coke is rather routine but on my second trip I discovered I could get free cup of ice water.
After a few trips we realized that we didn't need to do anymore character meals. Things like that
So is it all cost that drives less spending or simply "been there/done that"? Or a combination of both

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

As others said, nobody is forced to do any of this.

My family will be visiting in February. We won't be staying onsite, we have old MagicBands to use, we won't be purchasing Genie+, we won't buy APs, we won't be parking anywhere on property, and we have no interest in Galactic Starcruiser at that price unless it's actually taking us to space. I have every reason to think we'll still have a great time.

If Disney has "forced" us to do anything by its recent upcharges, it's been forcing us to stay offsite, expand our horizons and enjoy other area attractions, and spend less time and money at Disney World (and to be frank, the more times one visits WDW, the less time one needs to accomplish their must-dos, and the more efficiently one can get them done) -- and significantly less money on our vacations overall, even after accounting for the added expense of rideshares. It's actually a net loss for Disney, but a win for us.
So I guess, by that, nothing has changed for me. I have always stayed offsite, had a car (rental or brought my own) spent more days in the area then I went to WDW. I explored all of central Florida. Took back road, saw the real central Florida, traveled coast to coast and even to Key West with my base located in Kissimmee. Every trip I ever took there, (45, I think) never just included WDW. It was my target location, but was always used as a base. I have spent a lot of money, but not all of it went into Disney Executives bonuses.

What helped with my enjoyment was that for most of those I lived in Northern Vermont. We always went near the end of February when it was likely to be near the -20 degree weather we were leaving behind. Just driving around seeing palm trees waving in the breeze was enjoyable. We took our time we explored, but we always massively enjoyed our time in WDW. I was hooked the minute I turned onto World Drive and the feeling never changed even in my 70's. Now I am more limited in my physical ability to do a lot of exploring like I once did and now it appears that my being able to afford enjoying anything. I have to pay extra for the new stuff on top of what I spent to get in and to things I have already seen many time.

I suppose that could be called whining, but to me it is just more expressing sadness on one hand because I cannot afford to gamble that much money on experiences that I have already had. On the other hand happiness that I am old enough to have gone when I didn't have to spend the day with my face stuck in my phone and Disney's hand deep in your pockets. I never had to plan to detail two or three months in advance, never had to decide if I was going to crave Italian cuisine on a random Tuesday, two months from now. It all got to be just to much with to little return.

I have said I will not return, and as things sit right now that is fact. However, I learned to never say never. Life and circumstances can happen, but it will never be the WDW that I remember again in my lifetime and that saddens me. What I do hope for in this is the revitalization of Rte. 192 and all it's early, gaudy, neon splendor. In the 80's that alone was worth the trip. The hotels, the restaurants, the road side attractions. The easy access to other things like Gatorland, the souvenir stores that sold Disney T's for $8.00 that lasted years longer then any of the $25 ones I bought on WDW property. For the more daring, the road trips to Kennedy Space Ctr. to the east and the Sunshine bridge in Tampa to the west, Bok Tower, Cyprus Garden (now Legoland) and the smell of the orange blossoms in between. A lot of that is gone now because Disney and their Magical Prison Bus managed to confine everyone to lock up on 42 square miles of modified swamp land. I got to experience all of that and WDW. It's a whole new world.

eliza61nyc

Perhaps some go to WDW spend above their means then make the minimum payments on their credit cards.
I'm sure some do and while in general I don't advise that, I'm not about to judge because my first trip to France was totally financed by the lovely folks at American Express so won't be a hypocrite and say I've always made the best financial decisions.

I never forgot a single mom I met in church a few years back, she has twin girls and was always pretty frugal. I remember she took out a home loan when the girls were seniors to get them to their senior trip in wdw. She said for once in their lives they were going to be like everyone else😥

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
As others said, nobody is forced to do any of this. Despite what the shrill mommy bloggers proclaim in their giant "must-do Disney" lists to prey upon families' fear of missing out, there is literally no such thing as a "must-have" at WDW, other than park tickets.

My family will be visiting for a couple days in February. We won't be staying onsite, we have old MagicBands to use, we won't be purchasing Genie+ or individual Lighting Lane access, we won't buy APs, we won't be parking anywhere on property, and we have no interest in Galactic Starcruiser at that price unless it's actually taking us to space. In addition, there will be no Disney souvenir shopping, no MemoryMaker (just photos on our own cameras and phones), no parties, and no dining plan. I have every reason to think we'll still have a great time and make wonderful memories.

If Disney has "forced" us to do anything by its recent upcharges (although when I say "recent," I really mean over the past several years), it's been "forcing" us to stay offsite, expand our horizons and enjoy other area attractions, and spend less time and money at Disney World. (Of course, the more times one visits WDW, the less time one needs to accomplish their must-dos, and the more efficiently one can get them done anyway.) In fact, we now spend significantly less money on our Orlando vacations overall, even after accounting for the added expense of rideshares and non-Disney attractions. It's a net loss for Disney, but a win for my family. If Disney had kept everything as it was -- free MagicBands, free parking, hotel discounts, DME, etc. -- we might never have left the "bubble," and would never have had to wean ourselves off of all those expensive Disney "must-dos," only to discover that we could have just as much fun without them.

So, Disney... thanks?

You and others are correct no one is forcing anyone to do anything.

With that being said, I don't mind the complaining here in these forums or anywhere in the WDW community. The reason being is although I wouldn't consider my self a pixy duster by any means, I do tend to see the bright side of things and I appreciate others alternate view points to recent changes.

The best part about the complaining :) or 'counter points' to my positive mind set, is it DOES get me thinking about things.
After reading some of the doom and gloom comments ;) I do get a little upset with myself because although I still see some value at WDW, it HAS REALLY diminished quite a bit over the years and I KNOW that at end of the day, that only way to TRULY combat what WDW is doing, is not to complain, but to do exactly what you've stated you do above. It's just simply voting with your wallet.

Although I will ultimately retain a hopeful, positive mindset, in some strange way, I am looking forward to the time I can put a tiny dent in WDW earnings (as you have done) and find a way to withhold some of my hard earned cash until they decide to turn things around - somehow some way.

Disstevefan1

I'm not sure that it's a straight line "cause and effect" do repeat visitors spend less due to cost or from the fact that they skip all the extras. Folks I know spend less because #1 they aren't buying souvenirs. After decades of trips they simply don't need more junk.
#2 we know what we like and how to save with little tips. For example the price of soda at the world doesn't faze me primarily because in Philadelphia we have a Sugar tax, so 3.50 for a bottle of coke is rather routine but on my second trip I discovered I could get free cup of ice water.
After a few trips we realized that we didn't need to do anymore character meals. Things like that
So is it all cost that drives less spending or simply "been there/done that"? Or a combination of both
Agreed, repeat visitors spending patterns are different. We already know what the deal is.

It seems to me TWDC loves the first time visitor, uninformed visitor the most.
These visitors may return home with with a less than magical experience, but Disney hopes these memories will fade in a few years, ready for their next visit.

It's possible these folks may never return too.

No worries, there are plenty of first timers that will show up.

That said, I did a quick Google search and it says 70 percent of guests return!!! :oops: I do not think this is accurate !
1635172551687.png

JohnD

Based on a few personal attempts at making reservations at Walt Disney World resorts over the past few months, I had suspected and it was confirmed today by a cast member that not only has Disney increased their resort rates to outrageous prices (value resorts are charging $700+ a night over the holidays), but they also are forcing you to pay those rates for a minimum of 2 nights and are not booking single night reservations.

Inside Out Reaction GIF by Disney Pixar

A few folks have said it in the last few months, but it really is time for a strong message to be sent that enough is enough because we can't let our beloved DISNEY become DI$NEY.

Donald Duck Money GIF

Based on all this, I had to ask, what you think is the most outrageous of the outrageous price gouging that Disney is currently engaged in?

Also, I figured it's time to re-share this petition...

Um, no they 're not "forcing" you to do anything:

• Converting the FREE Fast Pass system to the PAID Genie+ with less benefits -- OPTIONAL
  • Increasing Annual Pass prices while slashing the benefits -- OPTIONAL
  • Eliminating FREE parking at the resorts and charging a per night fee -- OPTIONAL. Stay off site
  • Raising resort room rates dramatically and forcing guests to book a minimum of 2 nights -- See above
  • Charging $5,000+ for the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser experience -- DEFINITELY OPTIONAL
  • Eliminating FREE Magic Bands for resort guests and charging for them instead -- OPTIONAL. You can use phone, AP card, or KTTW card.
  • ALL OF THE ABOVE! -- Actually NONE OF THE ABOVE. ALL OPTIONAL

Disstevefan1

Um, no they 're not "forcing" you to do anything:

• Converting the FREE Fast Pass system to the PAID Genie+ with less benefits -- OPTIONAL
  • Increasing Annual Pass prices while slashing the benefits -- OPTIONAL
  • Eliminating FREE parking at the resorts and charging a per night fee -- OPTIONAL. Stay off site
  • Raising resort room rates dramatically and forcing guests to book a minimum of 2 nights -- See above
  • Charging $5,000+ for the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser experience -- DEFINITELY OPTIONAL
  • Eliminating FREE Magic Bands for resort guests and charging for them instead -- OPTIONAL. You can use phone, AP card, or KTTW card.
  • ALL OF THE ABOVE! -- Actually NONE OF THE ABOVE. ALL OPTIONAL
Spot on. A WDW vacation itself is entirely OPTIONAL.
Folks should consider staying at the MANY HIGH QUALITY off site accommodations and using some of their stay at Universal and SeaWorld.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom