And in other "people are stupid" news...

EdnaMode

A couple of years ago, we had gone over to Wilderness Lodge for a meal. While we were waiting for transportation back to our resort afterward, we saw a car pull up under the portico...and then turned left and drove down the stairs. The car paused for a moment at the bottom of the stairs and the bell staff ran towards the car to check in with the driver. Everything was ok and there weren't many alternatives, so the car proceeded down the steps and then drove into the parking lot.

I can't go to WL without cracking up.

Lilofan

A couple of years ago, we had gone over to Wilderness Lodge for a meal. While we were waiting for transportation back to our resort afterward, we saw a car pull up under the portico...and then turned left and drove down the stairs. The car paused for a moment at the bottom of the stairs and the bell staff ran towards the car to check in with the driver. Everything was ok and there weren't many alternatives, so the car proceeded down the steps and then drove into the parking lot.

I can't go to WL without cracking up.
Yikes, I've been to Wilderness Lodge. That staircase drop is more than a few steps. Car might need to be checked for an alignment.

Lilofan

Much better ending than this accident.

That traffic light by the entrance of Celebration had deadly consequences. Before the wall was built , in 1999 3 men from Attleboro, MA disappeared while on vacation in Orlando. Their bodies and rental vehicle were found submerged months later when it turns out they misjudged the traffic light and drove straight into the lake.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Terribly sad.

The real deadly consequences from the speeding and the bad judgement that alcohol can also bring.

3am and going far over the 35mph speed limit. Terrible. Please drive cautiously everyone.
Nothing good happens after 2am, and with daylight savings time happening in Nov, when we set our clocks back one hour, does that mean another hour of drinking at the bar?

Lilofan

Terribly sad.

The real deadly consequences from the speeding and the bad judgement that alcohol can also bring.

3am and going far over the 35mph speed limit. Terrible. Please drive cautiously everyone.
World Drive where that female was on at 3am had a posted 50mph speed limit then at the traffic light to make a left into Celebration Blvd that turns into 35mph. Someone drunk driving faster than 50 mph on World Drive that doesn't stop at the light can go airborne flying right into the lake , and she did it even with the wall being there that was built . The wall was built after the three men from MA on vacation lost their lives in 1999 in the same location.

Last edited:

spock8113

Unfortunately, some drivers over-estimate their night vision and ability to stay cognoscente during a long day of travel.
Then there's the case of my 92 year old grandfather who had to have his license taken away. Sometimes family members just can't act to take away a family member's driving independence when they are a danger to themselves and others.
It happens, especially in unfamiliar surroundings where the stress and tiredness play a major role.
Think about all the wrongway crashes you've seen or read about. I see Bob's barricades going up all around like the fences near the waters when the child was taken by the alligator a few years back.

Lilofan

Unfortunately, some drivers over-estimate their night vision and ability to stay cognoscente during a long day of travel.
Then there's the case of my 92 year old grandfather who had to have his license taken away. Sometimes family members just can't act to take away a family member's driving independence when they are a danger to themselves and others.
It happens, especially in unfamiliar surroundings where the stress and tiredness play a major role.
Think about all the wrongway crashes you've seen or read about. I see Bob's barricades going up all around like the fences near the waters when the child was taken by the alligator a few years back.
Good points. I stayed in a hotel in Fredericksburg VA near DC. The hotel was full of Canadians. I was told that was the halfway point for them driving to WDW which is 14 hours away from the hotel. Driving 14 hours in 1 day will make one feel tired.

Raineman

Good points. I stayed in a hotel in Fredericksburg VA near DC. The hotel was full of Canadians. I was told that was the halfway point for them driving to WDW which is 14 hours away from the hotel. Driving 14 hours in 1 day will make one feel tired.
I live in Canada, the part closest to Florida, and, during our drive to WDW down I-75, I drove for almost 21 hours our first day (it would have been about 17 hours, but we got stuck in a horrible traffic jam after a rockslide just over the border in Tennessee). TBH, I really didn't start to feel tired until the last hour of our trip, but the next day, I was physically and mentally drained. Having said that, the last 2 drives to Florida, my wife and I shared the driving, and I felt much better (plus, I was able to actually take in some of the scenery in the mountains of Tennessee).

G00fyDad

Terribly sad.

I think we all have seen idiots driving around WDW (and and the entire area) however they feel like driving. On our trips I regularly see some of God's special little creatures cutting across 3-4 lanes of heavy traffic because they suddenly decide to look at a street sign and realize they are about to miss their exit. Or how about the drivers who try (or succeed) to turn down a highway ramp the wrong way? Or the Mario Andretti who drives 150mph (241kph)? Is it really any surprise that people are driving on walkways in WDW? I think Disney should install metal (decorative) poles to prevent people from pulling onto these walkways. Maybe when someone is run over they might consider it?

Lilofan

I think we all have seen idiots driving around WDW (and and the entire area) however they feel like driving. On our trips I regularly see some of God's special little creatures cutting across 3-4 lanes of heavy traffic because they suddenly decide to look at a street sign and realize they are about to miss their exit. Or how about the drivers who try (or succeed) to turn down a highway ramp the wrong way? Or the Mario Andretti who drives 150mph (241kph)? Is it really any surprise that people are driving on walkways in WDW? I think Disney should install metal (decorative) poles to prevent people from pulling onto these walkways. Maybe when someone is run over they might consider it?
I've seen when fellow guests exit the parks before they get on 536, World Drive etc, some cars take an exit turn too fast and crash into the trees.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom