All the changes at WDW. What's the effect on you?

zeedan

Original Poster
We had a trip cancelled due to covid in 2020. I am a "planner" and it was the best plan we'd ever had in advance. Now thinking about what to do and considering all the changes, not just "post-covid closing" and loss of FP+ being gone, but considering ALL the recent changes. In a discussion with family we limited it to 3 changes that affect our decision about the parks the most. Our list:

1. Great Movie Ride is now gone and replaced with MMRR. - we see this as a major decline.
2. Lights, Motor, Action Stunt Car show - gone
3. Osbourne Family lights - (say it ain't so!) - gone

JIMINYCR

I don’t like the disappearance of all three of these but was fortunate have trips to get to enjoy each one for a last time before they went away. I hate having favorite things go away (Splash 😩😩😩) but I can’t control that so I move on.
I will still go to WDW as long as they provide enough enjoyment and pleasurable moments for me and my family. Cost wise it may take away the more frequency of trips because it takes more savings to go.
It still holds enough value for me to spend my time and money there. There are other things I do that are just as or more expensive than WDW, and I still do them.
Technology isn’t my forte so that will always be more challenging for me to get some of those necessary items into place that are required. I hate having to be tied to a device but it’s something that will continue being utilized on a Dis trip.
As with anything else in my life, I make the choice to take part in it or not depending on my ability to justify it. Everyone has their limits.

Mstr Gra-c

We had a trip cancelled due to covid in 2020. I am a "planner" and it was the best plan we'd ever had in advance. Now thinking about what to do and considering all the changes, not just "post-covid closing" and loss of FP+ being gone, but considering ALL the recent changes. In a discussion with family we limited it to 3 changes that affect our decision about the parks the most. Our list:

1. Great Movie Ride is now gone and replaced with MMRR. - we see this as a major decline.
Have you rode MMRR? Its a FANTASTIC attraction! As for TGMR, I loved it too...but...lets be honest...it was dated and something had to give. Sorry.

Lilofan

If one stays at Fort Wilderness campground in the RV loops in Dec and Jan, it is truly awesome. Many RVs are decked out with Christmas lights and beyond. Cruise around in a golf cart at night to be amazed.

Graham9

I can cope with changes and I have always looked forward to seeing what's new and different. If everything stayed the same, it would be pointless keep coming.

However, the one change I can't tolerate is the Genie/Lightening Lane nonsense. That has pushed DIsney out of our price range and it will reduce our enjoyment of the parks to the point where we are forced to become slaves to a mobile phone. We liked spontaneity and always planned our days on the spot and would visit whatever attractions we felt like going to at the time. Mr Gary Daniels and his wonderful app have taken all that away and for that they want to help themselves to the contents of my wallet.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Have you rode MMRR? Its a FANTASTIC attraction! As for TGMR, I loved it too...but...lets be honest...it was dated and something had to give. Sorry.
I was impressed with it, but they needed to be adding rides, not replacing them at Hollywood Studios, particularly when they shut down GMR in 2017 which was still about a year from Toy Story Land opening and two years from Star Wars land opening.

Mstr Gra-c

I was impressed with it, but they needed to be adding rides, not replacing them at Hollywood Studios, particularly when they shut down GMR in 2017 which was still about a year from Toy Story Land opening and two years from Star Wars land opening.
Im unsure as to your point. You recognize it is a ride you were "impressed" with. Okay great. But your bone of contention is with the fact that you didn't get a new ride right away? So the timeline (loosely) is: 2017 - GMR gone. (sad face), 2018 - TSL opens (new rides), 2019 - SWL opens (more new rides), 2020 - MMRR opens. You only had to wait approx. 1 year and boom!...new stuff. Thats not that big of a deal in my book.
Also, if you consider that TSL opening and adding two new rides that weren't that impressive (SDD and Alien SS), I would rather wait a little longer and get 1 upgraded impressive ride than a lackluster 2. Just sayin'.
Also, that's not even the original posters point. They aren't getting in a time machine and traveling to 2017 sans GMR Studios...they are talking about right now...with all the stuff they listed gone...but really cool new stuff actually there.

Jrb1979

Im unsure as to your point. You recognize it is a ride you were "impressed" with. Okay great. But your bone of contention is with the fact that you didn't get a new ride right away? So the timeline (loosely) is: 2017 - GMR gone. (sad face), 2018 - TSL opens (new rides), 2019 - SWL opens (more new rides), 2020 - MMRR opens. You only had to wait approx. 1 year and boom!...new stuff. Thats not that big of a deal in my book.
Also, if you consider that TSL opening and adding two new rides that weren't that impressive (SDD and Alien SS), I would rather wait a little longer and get 1 upgraded impressive ride than a lackluster 2. Just sayin'.
Also, that's not even the original posters point. They aren't getting in a time machine and traveling to 2017 sans GMR Studios...they are talking about right now...with all the stuff they listed gone...but really cool new stuff actually there.
I think what he's trying to say is that they didn't really added more to the park as they just replaced a ride with another ride. What they should have done is kept GMR and put in MMRR somewhere else in the park. They need to add rides not just replace one with another.

As far as changes I don't like. It's the amount of IP they keep adding. Especially at Epcot.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Seemed to me the original post was about being bummed that GMR is gone. My point was more that there was plenty of space to put MMRR elsewhere, so it shouldn’t have had to be on the chopping block. The four new rides have taken it from being a park you knock out in a morning to more of a 2/3 day park for most people. I think having another ride or two (i.e. keeping GMR) would’ve gone a long way to making this a full day park in most people’s minds.

I’m not upset that we didn’t get a new ride right away, but I think it’s a fair point that it made little sense to close another when half the park was closed for construction, when there was plenty of space for expansion (see also, Epcot).

Mstr Gra-c

I think what he's trying to say is that they didn't really added more to the park as they just replaced a ride with another ride. What they should have done is kept GMR and put in MMRR somewhere else in the park. They need to add rides not just replace one with another.

As far as changes I don't like. It's the amount of IP they keep adding. Especially at Epcot.
Think about all of the rides that have come and gone over the years. If they never replaced rides and only ever found new plots of land to put brand new rides, how big would all of the parks be at this point? Also, how much money would they need to maintain all of these old, past-their-prime rides? I mean, I LOVE COP but at some point they either need to spend the bucks to overhaul it or...sadly...it has to go.

Jrb1979

Think about all of the rides that have come and gone over the years. If they never replaced rides and only ever found new plots of land to put brand new rides, how big would all of the parks be at this point? Also, how much money would they need to maintain all of these old, past-their-prime rides? I mean, I LOVE COP but at some point they either need to spend the bucks to overhaul it or...sadly...it has to go.
Replacing rides is fine and is going to happen. Take Epcot for instance. All they really have ever done outside of Remy is replace one ride with another. By replacing a ride with another ride, you aren't really adding more to the park. You still end up with the same amount of rides. At Epcot instead of replacing a ride with another ride why not add more rides to World Showcase. Increase the amount of attractions in the park.

Mstr Gra-c

Seemed to me the original post was about being bummed that GMR is gone. My point was more that there was plenty of space to put MMRR elsewhere, so it shouldn’t have had to be on the chopping block. The four new rides have taken it from being a park you knock out in a morning to more of a 2/3 day park for most people. I think having another ride or two (i.e. keeping GMR) would’ve gone a long way to making this a full day park in most people’s minds.

I’m not upset that we didn’t get a new ride right away, but I think it’s a fair point that it made little sense to close another when half the park was closed for construction, when there was plenty of space for expansion (see also, Epcot).
Nope. The original post was about being hesitant to plan a new trip...right now. I was simply trying to assuage one of their concerns.

Mstr Gra-c

Replacing rides is fine and is going to happen. Take Epcot for instance. All they really have ever done outside of Remy is replace one ride with another. By replacing a ride with another ride, you aren't really adding more to the park. You still end up with the same amount of rides. At Epcot instead of replacing a ride with another ride why not add more rides to World Showcase. Increase the amount of attractions in the park.
This is a common thing I hear. It doesn't make financial sense to keep adding new rides while older rides remain. The maintenance costs would be insane. It makes very little financial sense.

JohnD

Agree. I'm nostalgic for GMR. Who isn't? But MMRR is a great ride. Better than Rat, IMHO. (Both are trackless). You don't even need 3D glasses with this ride.

Jrb1979

This is a common thing I hear. It doesn't make financial sense to keep adding new rides while older rides remain. The maintenance costs would be insane. It makes very little financial sense.
I'm not saying to keep older rides forever and other parks have no problem keeping older rides til they reach the end of their service life.

JohnD

Well, your list is based on one park.
1. GMR was a great ride but you should give MMRR a chance (see my reasons above)
2-3. Both of these were cleared out to make way for Toy Story Land and GE. #2 was a great "people eater" for a show but I can understand replacing the space for an attraction area. As for #3, well, that only happened at one time during the year on a backlot set. Again, I can understand replacing it with another attraction area. Doesn't mean I don't miss it either.

Mstr Gra-c

I'm not saying to keep older rides forever and other parks have no problem keeping older rides til they reach the end of their service life.
So the problem wasn't that they replaced a ride. The problem is that the timing wasn't right...for you?

And again, if you have a problem with a park not having enough rides...it being a half day or 2/3 day park...then go, ride what is there and then go somewhere else. And if that isn't good enough for you...don't plan a trip for that time. But don't bemoan progress because it isn't convenient...for you.

Jrb1979

So the problem wasn't that they replaced a ride. The problem is that the timing wasn't right...for you?

And again, if you have a problem with a park not having enough rides...it being a half day or 2/3 day park...then go, ride what is there and then go somewhere else. And if that isn't good enough for you...don't plan a trip for that time. But don't bemoan progress because it isn't convenient...for you.
It has nothing to do with any of that. The goal is make the lesser parks into all day parks. IMO they should be adding a new ride to each every year. Even if that means a c ticket attraction.

Mstr Gra-c

It has nothing to do with any of that. The goal is make the lesser parks into all day parks. IMO they should be adding a new ride to each every year. Even if that means a c ticket attraction.
Whose goal?! Yours? It just doesn't make sense to add a new attraction, every year, to each park. For many reasons.
It sounds wonderful, it truly does! But...yeah, no.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom