"Tropical Hideaway" Should Replace "Magic Carpets"

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Last month was the first time I visited Disneyland since the opening of Tropical Hideaway, the restaurant/bar in between the Tiki Room and Jungle Cruise that occupies the space formerly held by Tahitian Terrace.

1634179223825.png

While the menu didn't interest me that much, I did think the area looked great, both while standing on the patio and seeing it from the Jungle Cruise, especially at night.

Prior to the Magic Carpet spinner opening in Adventureland, that area had a small seating space. It's unlikely that Disney would remove a ride just for seating, but a food and beverage location sounds like something they would consider. It would give people a shaded place to grab a drink while better fitting with the nearby Sunshine Pavilion.

Incidentally, Tropical Hideaway also replaced an Aladdin experience too. The area became Aladdin's Oasis in the early 90s, but the intended dinner show didn't last long. There are Aladdin references in Tropical Hideaway that I'm sure would be incorporated if they ever brought this out East.

As for the spinner, I think moving it to an Aladdin themed area in the Adventureland expansion plot would be good too. It's clear the ride has an audience and the movie still has appeal nearly 30 years after its original release.

Heppenheimer

I loved the decor and background music of Tropical Hideaway, but I was disappointed by the very limited food selection, which made it more of a snack bar than a restaurant. The atmosphere invites you to sit around for a little while, but the dumplings and spring rolls they serve take about 2 minutes to eat. Hmm, maybe that's the point. Keep table turnover high.

If they did add a Tropical Hideaway to the Magic Kingdom, it would be nice to have a bigger menu, or at least serve food that takes a little longer to consume.

Last edited:

Sbk1234

I like TRopical Hideaway a lot, mostly because it's great atmosphere and fits in Adventureland so much better than an Aladdin theme. Even though the menu is very limited, I often bring food there to consume that I've bought at other parts of Disneyland.

tl77

Tropical Hideaway is great but the Aladdin Spinner replaced an out-door seating area for the Sunshine Tree (or whatever they call it now) ...but yeah, Tropical Hideaway is basically "a place to sit and eat Dole Whip" at DL which what that Aladdin Spinner area used to be in Magic Kingdom

castlecake2.0

Last month was the first time I visited Disneyland since the opening of Tropical Hideaway, the restaurant/bar in between the Tiki Room and Jungle Cruise that occupies the space formerly held by Tahitian Terrace.

View attachment 593352

While the menu didn't interest me that much, I did think the area looked great, both while standing on the patio and seeing it from the Jungle Cruise, especially at night.

Prior to the Magic Carpet spinner opening in Adventureland, that area had a small seating space. It's unlikely that Disney would remove a ride just for seating, but a food and beverage location sounds like something they would consider. It would give people a shaded place to grab a drink while better fitting with the nearby Sunshine Pavilion.

Incidentally, Tropical Hideaway also replaced an Aladdin experience too. The area became Aladdin's Oasis in the early 90s, but the intended dinner show didn't last long. There are Aladdin references in Tropical Hideaway that I'm sure would be incorporated if they ever brought this out East.

As for the spinner, I think moving it to an Aladdin themed area in the Adventureland expansion plot would be good too. It's clear the ride has an audience and the movie still has appeal nearly 30 years after its original release.
A millionnnnnnnn Times YES

Club Cooloholic

Tropical Hideaway is great but the Aladdin Spinner replaced an out-door seating area for the Sunshine Tree (or whatever they call it now) ...but yeah, Tropical Hideaway is basically "a place to sit and eat Dole Whip" at DL which what that Aladdin Spinner area used to be in Magic Kingdom
I am a hard pass on replacing a ride, even a typical spinner with an eatery. Isn't the burrito place seasonal at this point? Put in there if need be.

Sbk1234

I am a hard pass on replacing a ride, even a typical spinner with an eatery. Isn't the burrito place seasonal at this point? Put in there if need be.
I think the issue for many is not trying to get rid of a spinner, but that the Aladdin desert theme just doesn't fit in a tropical jungle setting. If the issue is not getting rid of an attraction - even a spinner - retheme it to something that better fits a south-seas jungle environment.

Club Cooloholic

I think the issue for many is not trying to get rid of a spinner, but that the Aladdin desert theme just doesn't fit in a tropical jungle setting. If the issue is not getting rid of an attraction - even a spinner - retheme it to something that better fits a south-seas jungle environment.
Yes, but then again we have a south pacific theme in Tiki and Swiss Family Robinson, mixed in with Jungle Cruise and ending in...Pirates of the Caribbean? The desert fits as well as any in my opinion.

Sbk1234

Yes, but then again we have a south pacific theme in Tiki and Swiss Family Robinson, mixed in with Jungle Cruise and ending in...Pirates of the Caribbean? The desert fits as well as any in my opinion.
In my opinion, the others all go together because they have similar lush jungles. But that’s just me. I guess it’s all about what you grew up with.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
In my opinion, the others all go together because they have similar lush jungles. But that’s just me. I guess it’s all about what you grew up with.

To me, there's a clear separation between Caribbean Plaza, Jungle Cruise (which is situated on a lower level than the rest of the land) and the area immediately in front of the Sunshine Pavilion.

Aladdin right in front of the Tiki Room doesn't work for me (maybe it made more sense when Iago was in that show), but as I said in my original post I'm fine with an Aladdin expansion of Adventureland where it can continue to operate.

LittleMerman

I LOVED this restaurant in Disneyland and I'm honestly surprised they haven't tried to fit it into WDW somehow. It's a great QS spot with a great vibe and the food was really good. I'd love to see it come to WDW!

Heppenheimer

What if they put it up in the treehouse!?!?!?
That sounds like a cool idea... then I remembered what the floor looks like after my toddler eats, and mentally multiplied that by several hundred a day. I can just imagine all the food scraps that would fall to the ground below, and all the wildlife that would quickly realize what a great feeding source this area had become. Disney's hasn't been great on maintenance lately, so just imagine the guano collection that would accumulate. If this were the 19th century, Chapek would probably sell it to munition companies... can't let a potential revenue stream go untapped, can we Bob?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom