News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Kirby86

Iā€™m sure itā€™s been mentioned but itā€™s funny Splash Mountain is called that because of the Tom Hanks and Darryl Hannah movie about mermaids called ā€œSplashā€. Had nothing to do with any of these characters.
As funny as the reason the name was chosen is it really is a good name. Splash Mountain is a much better name then Zip-a-dee River Run. I think they'll try to keep the Splash Mountain name.

RSoxNo1

It's still gonna be called splash Mountain. That name has brand recognition you don't just throw away.
But it's brand recognition that was created in a theme park and that's not something that current Disney leadership understands.

I expect it to be called Tiana from Princess and the Frog's Log Flume Ride, Crawfish Boil, Gumbo and Brews... you know, for the search results on the app.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I had a dream last night that Disney closed Splash, but upon reopening all you did was sit in the log at the loading platform while Chapek sat on a stool telling you how the old theme wasn't "Disney enough", then threw a bucket of water at you, then asked for $5. Ride photos were $20

Animaniac93-98

Last week was my first time riding the WDW version since this was announced.

Totally forgot how large the whole complex is. Not just the ride, but the courtyard where the extended queue is, the gift shop, restrooms, RR station etc. Ignoring the ride's placement (or the logic of a mountain near New Orleans), it would take an enormous amount of work to make this all fit with the movie's setting. I don't see Disney going to that much trouble. Most of the changes will likely be made inside.

ToTBellHop

Last week was my first time riding the WDW version since this was announced.

Totally forgot how large the whole complex is. Not just the ride, but the courtyard where the extended queue is, the gift shop, restrooms, RR station etc. Ignoring the ride's placement (or the logic of a mountain near New Orleans), it would take an enormous amount of work to make this all fit with the movie's setting. I don't see Disney going to that much trouble. Most of the changes will likely be made inside.
Song of the South takes place in southern Georgia, so the mountain never really fitā€¦suspend disbelief?

Animaniac93-98

Song of the South takes place in southern Georgia, so the mountain never really fitā€¦suspend disbelief?

The setting of the story was changed to the American west for WDW. Having been on both American versions of the ride within the span of a month, it's very clear that the whole thing was redesigned from the ground up to fit next to Big Thunder in WDW.

Princess and the Frog takes place in New Orleans. They've said the ride will be about the city too. Maybe they'll change their minds and invent a different storyline for Florida, we don't know yet.

LittleBuford

The setting of the story was changed to the American west for WDW. Having been on both American versions of the ride within the span of a month, it's very clear that the whole thing was redesigned from the ground up to fit next to Big Thunder in WDW.
I think people make too much of this point because they are unwilling to admit that the issue of fit (if it really is an issue) has always been there with WDWā€™s version. As I noted a year ago:

Anyone reading this thread without having seen the attraction would assume that WDWā€™s version looks completely different from the Disneyland original. Hereā€™s an actual comparison:

Splash-Mountain-DL-WDW.jpg

I personally donā€™t view these as pointing to explicitly differentiated or easily identifiable geographical settings. Asked which one looks more ā€œfrontierā€, I might well answer the firstā€”the boulders evoke the West for me. I realise this is subjective, but I think itā€™s important to ground ourselves in the visual evidence rather than exaggerate the extent to which WDWā€™s Splash Mountain has been shorn of its Southern associations. As others have pointed out, Frontierland has always been a mishmash of West and South.

celluloid

Itā€™s called Splash Mountain. Iā€™m sure it will make about as much sense in Louisiana as in Georgia.

I am not saying it cannot make sense I just wanted to clarify. It was given the nickname splash mountain in story and before that in marketing the same way Space Mountain is a nickname that started it all. It is all the art of naming. The same way Big Thunder Mountain is a nickname given by the locals because it rolls thunderous sounds from explosions and earthquakes, not because it is thunder. Splash Mountain is the ride's name because of the critter's naming the infamous chickapin hill.

To your other point. Ga has, Stone Mountian and large rolling hills.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom