News Frontierland Shootin' Arcade at Magic Kingdom switches to free play

DCBaker

Premium Member
"With rumors of Frontierland Shootin' Arcade's closure swirling, Cinemablend reached out to Walt Disney World for clarification, wondering if the longtime Magic Kingdom staple was actually going extinct. A representative from the park confirmed that their side of the site showed normal operating hours from November 27th to October 11th — the period that was missing from the public side of the site. It was simply a glitch or error in the system causing the missing hours. Frontierland Shootin' Arcade is sticking around."

JoeCamel

"With rumors of Frontierland Shootin' Arcade's closure swirling, Cinemablend reached out to Walt Disney World for clarification, wondering if the longtime Magic Kingdom staple was actually going extinct. A representative from the park confirmed that their side of the site showed normal operating hours from November 27th to October 11th — the period that was missing from the public side of the site. It was simply a glitch or error in the system causing the missing hours. Frontierland Shootin' Arcade is sticking around."

Dang!

MrPromey

Funny how on edge the current state of things with this company has us all.

Wish I could just go back to the old days where I happily gave them my money with no reason to worry about what was "next".

celluloid

So there is this game called Fortnite, where players run around shooting each other with guns and Marvel(aka Disney) the NBA, AMC and a bunch of other properties seem to have no problem being part of the game.
And personally I don't think I ever played at an arcade shooting gallery Disney or otherwise and thought I was handing a real rifle. Did they close the Gallery down after any of the unfortunate mass shootings occured? My guess is no because it has nothing to do with real guns

Well said. Also, the Jungle Cruise, (depending on when you ride it) and Country Bear Jamboree since others have referenced attractions. And I think the fact that the Shootin' Arcade is not going anywhere says more to your point too. Not to mention, the opposite, now it is a free play gift that they want more people to participate and since Princess and The Frog was brought up, that movie has far more gunfire in it than what inspired Splash, where as Song of the South to my memory does not.

dovetail65

This spot is super nostalgic for me. I did this on my first or second trip to WDW when I was a kid, I think it may have been actual pellets back in the day. Visited it again when my kids were both young on their first trips. Haven't done it since, not because of price, but because of maximizing time in the parks.

Change to free is nice for everyone.
Shootin' Arcade is back on my radar.
Gonna pop off a few rounds next time we visit. :cool:

Well free until Nov 27th when they take it away forever so unless you are going soon not going to happen. I wanted to hit it this December it always brings back memories of dad and our family trips and I loved doing it with my kids, I guess this year is out.

Pellets were gone by 77 I think(maybe even 74)

When the Frontierland Shootin’ Arcade first opened, real lead pellets were fired from the rifles at the targets. Other than the obvious safety concerns, the rifles soon had to be refitted to no longer shoot these projectiles. The real reason they were modified was paint. Paint? Yup! Because the pellets chipped the paint off the props in the attraction, it was necessary to repaint them every night. Over the course of a year, that amounted to over 2000 gallons of paint!

I

ImperfectPixie

Okay well I verify it December:

Disney fansites need update then on Oct 11th an article went up NOv 27 th was last day. Darn fansites.

Glad to hear that though!
The rumor was based on no availability after a particular date on the calendar the public can see. A media outlet contacted WDW, and there IS continuous availability on the internal calendar, which indicates a glitch.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Well free until Nov 27th when they take it away forever so unless you are going soon not going to happen. I wanted to hit it this December it always brings back memories of dad and our family trips and I loved doing it with my kids, I guess this year is out.

Pellets were gone by 77 I think(maybe even 74)

When the Frontierland Shootin’ Arcade first opened, real lead pellets were fired from the rifles at the targets. Other than the obvious safety concerns, the rifles soon had to be refitted to no longer shoot these projectiles. The real reason they were modified was paint. Paint? Yup! Because the pellets chipped the paint off the props in the attraction, it was necessary to repaint them every night. Over the course of a year, that amounted to over 2000 gallons of paint!

I
Thanks for the info. 74-77 lines up with when I was there. I wish my pops was still alive so I could confirm.

Do we know for certain that this is going away?

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.

Unbanshee

November 27th to October 11th — the period that was missing from the public side of the site

What does that even mean? "November 27 to October 11". That's not even the time period that was in question. It was after November 27th and the dates are backwards. We got to the same conclusion, but it seems like a typo or misunderstanding of the issue

DCBaker

Premium Member
What does that even mean? "November 27 to October 11". That's not even the time period that was in question. It was after November 27th and the dates are backwards. We got to the same conclusion, but it seems like a typo or misunderstanding of the issue

Seems like the author meant to type December - If you click through to the original article on Cinemablend, this is what was said "Recently it was discovered that the Walt Disney World website listed no operating hours for the attraction from November 27 through December 11, which is as far as the calendar lists operation."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom