Trip Report MILESTONE TRIP! First Orlando Visit, Final Disney Park!

THE TIME HAS COME!

In just about a week, I will be starting my very first ever trip to Orlando…and all therein that may be explored.

As the title suggests, among other milestones, this trip will see me visiting my 12th and final Disney Park – Magic Kingdom itself! I have traveled extensively, with all the other Disney Destinations worldwide under my belt, yet somehow I have so far resisted the allures of the Vacation Kingdom. In this week days leading up to my departure, I’ll be going over “why not yet,” “why now,” my itinerary, maybe even soliciting some travel advice.

But for now…Who’s going?

7166D4BC-82E3-4FDB-981E-47ACE8702961.jpeg

Me after a hike at Bryce Canyon (the real Big Thunder). My beard is much calmer now.

Just me. Doug. Typically I’m a regular of the Imagineering forums, but I'm just a dilettante on these Trip Report boards. Traveling solo, as is my wont.

Where? Universal’s Endless Summer Resort for three nights, then the Walt Disney World Swan for like a week.

When? September 21st – October 1st.

The broadest plan is to see as much of Orlando as I can (both Disney and beyond) in the week+ prior to Magic Kingdom’s 50th. That means plans to see Walt Disney World, Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, even the Fun Spots.

Over ambitious, perhaps? Sure it is, but I’ve done my research, and I know my travel style and what I'm capable of! Let’s do this!

Last edited:

D Hulk

Original Poster
7EF79030-A8FE-4FBD-BB64-3F84F47F56C3.jpeg

HAPPY 50TH!

This photo is from a “surprise” showing of Harmonious last night at Epcot. It officially debuts today. Harmonious is a fine show, with impressive pyro and nice songs. It lacks a real dramatic build, though, nor does it justify the non-Euclidean structures in the center of World Showcase Lagoon.

89589053-43AA-468A-A116-FAE606663868.jpeg

So after SeaWorld yesterday I returned to Epcot, to give World Showcase a second chance after not fully enjoying it the first time around. This time was substantially more enjoyable! I completed a full Drink Around the World circuit, going counterclockwise from the International Gateway. I began in France and ended in the UK, like a modern day Phileas Fogg. I noshed the whole way as well. Overall, it was a splendid, relaxing day.

To everyone entering the parks today, have a blast! It’s gonna be nuts, I’m sure. I was at Disneyland’s 60th, which was host to the worst theme park crowds I’ve ever seen, but still totally worth it. Today I’m steering clear of Disney World myself: doing Gatorland, Fun Spot Orlando, then flying home.​

TheOriginalTiki

I've officially started the pre-trip hype for my Dollywood report for those who want something slightly different to follow along with. Unlike Hulk, I've been spending the past few years traveling to nowhere BUT Orlando haha. This trip is pretty much the first BIG non Disney park trip I've ever taken which is actually kind of ridiculous that it's taken me this long to get outside of the Disney bubble.

D Hulk

Original Poster
START AGAIN
NOW THE TRUE TRIP REPORT BEGINS!

Thank you for your patience

8C8A1AB0-5A16-4456-BF6F-3955F8EE6625.jpeg

September 21st - October 1st

My first time ever visiting Orlando.

Eleven days, time enough for a whirlwind tour of 100% entirely unfamiliar, new-to-me theme parks:

Magic Kingdom
Epcot
Hollywood Studios
Animal Kingdom
Universal Studios Florida
Islands of Adventure
Halloween Horror Nights
Busch Gardens Tampa
SeaWorld Orlando
Fun Spot Orlando
Fun Spot Kissimmee
Gatorland
(Sorry, Legoland. Next time maybe.)

Notably, with this trip now completed, I have visited all 12 Disney theme parks worldwide. By design, I arranged for Magic Kingdom to be my 12th and final Disney park, which proved to be the perfect choice. I loved Magic Kingdom! I loved a whole lot else out in Florida - and was annoyed by a whole lot more - but that's skipping ahead a bit. Let's rewind back to Monday, September 20th, and the true start of the trip.

Actually, let's rewind backwards even a few days earlier...

067CCE1B-E090-4485-8E23-F1D332833805.jpeg

Life was apparently upside down before visiting Orlando. That’s me (Doug) on the…right?

September 18th - 20th
Days -3 to 0

The pre-trip shenanigans.

A whole weekend sat between me and the start of this vacation. I'd planned to make it a low key, relaxing weekend, to be rested before nearly two straight weeks of theme park insanity in tropical humidity. That didn't work out.

In short, the preceding weekend was a blitz of frenzied, manic activity! It began on Friday night, when a buddy's 40th birthday party transformed into a roving bar & club crawl throughout the greater Los Angeles area. I wouldn't get home until 2 AM. The evening's wackiness bled over into Saturday as well, when I became the unexpected new owner of a vintage pinball machine, on loan from a fellow partier. Long story short, I placed 2nd in a major pinball tournament pre-pandemic, despite being just a local hobbyist surrounded by genuine pros from Seattle. The winner was rewarded Gottlieb's 1981 "Mars: God of War." And then, following Miss America Pageant rules, that winner recently forfeited his title and dishonored the world of pinball (how I have no clue!), so the Mars machine has passed into my hands, and into my garage. Upon returning from Orlando, I promptly bested the previous high score!

946C7270-7FC5-49A2-9016-37185CC94F4F.jpeg

So anyway, let's zoom through this pre-trip mania quicker now. Mars kinda dominated Saturday. Word spread, and local friends came around to try it out. Then there was Sunday, which was a true flurry of activity. Watching a screening of Nick Cage's Prisoners of the Ghostland (crazy). Getting sick from a spicy fried chicken sandwich. Enjoying Mexican luchador matches from the rooftop of an art gallery. Randomly stumbling upon a haunt event at the original Myers house from Halloween. Watching my buddy's band play at the worst restaurant in Arcadia. Phew!

DFD47A63-CA7A-4014-90FF-2D12FED94596.jpeg

Less than a minute later, Manny was attacked by a guy dressed as Michael

Then on Monday I packed up my backpack. Quick and easy; my extensive international travel experience from the Before Times came in handy. I was then briefly taken aback when recalculating my roller coaster credit count...The plan was for Velocicoaster to be my #200 coaster, but I'd miscalculated and it turns out that honor had already gone to Colossus at Lagoon a few weeks earlier. Oops...and oh well.

C2A18D9B-6D12-4CCE-B9A8-9C520FCADE34.jpeg

The flight to Orlando was a red eye departing from LAX a little past midnight, meaning the trip officially began on Tuesday the 21st. However, of course, the final part of Monday was dedicated to reaching LAX. My original plan was to take an Uber to the metro Gold Line, take that to Union Station, then take a FlyAway Bus to the airport. That plan changed almost instantly, when no Uber drivers wanted to do the unprofitable leg from my mountainside house to the metro station. So instead I simply took an Uber all the way to LAX, costing only $10 more than the original plan would have, and saving maybe an hour or more in the process. That was worth it.

A479089C-D487-4060-9EC2-C1E1E945468A.jpeg

Air travel...never much to say about that. I slept the entire time on the red eye - this was planned as a stand-in for an extra hotel night in Orlando. A 5 AM layover in either Dallas or Houston (doesn't matter) roused me briefly, but I again zonked out for the final flight out to Orlando. We landed there around noontime.

F5684E77-30F2-4854-B450-921826FA92EA.jpeg

MCO took just a little longer than I'm used to, since for the first time in forever I had to check my luggage. I had cheapskate tickets with United Airlines, meaning carry-ons were forbidden, meaning that for $35 I had my backpack checked. (Also encased in a huge plastic bag because of the stinky sandals affixed to the exterior with carabiners.) This wasn't too much of a hassle, though, overall. Quickly I found one more Uber, and made the brief journey to the Universal Orlando Resort.

My first stop? Universal's Endless Summer Resort hotel. This wouldn't be for long. I had my sights set on Universal's parks for the day's remainder, and pure adrenaline coursing through my system.

To be continued...​

D Hulk

Original Poster
September 21st
Day 1

0613944D-63B9-4379-8688-71BE654F2D62.jpeg

Let's pause for a moment to admire Universal's Endless Summer Resort. Among Universal's offerings, I chose this value destination for the cost savings. Sure, that meant no line-skipping perk, but crowds were sparse enough that it barely mattered. Endless Summer is located across I-4 from the main resort, requiring a quick bus transit to the parks. I knew going in that this was the tradeoff for the cheaper hotel, and I was OK with it.

Universal is overall a far simpler resort than Disney World, and likewise the transportation was much simpler as well, much more to my liking. I chose to start at Universal thanks to the resort's compact, walkable layout, closer in style to the Anaheim and Tokyo resorts where I'm most comfortable. It seemed a good way to ease into the cadence of an Orlando vacation.

16C7DE7A-01BF-4E68-8C10-A6B94D4FBFEB.jpeg

My room was in the Surfside wing. It was a place to crash. Clean, convenient, with a light beachfront theme, what more do you need? I'm not picky with my hotels, if the location is good. A few hotel room pics will get the point across.

4FE40AD2-1A76-45E9-A088-9E63C0F13F4F.jpeg

89FAD69F-D277-4561-883F-3A4961738E66.jpeg

An attached bathroom?! I don’t often travel so luxuriously.

183109D7-E74A-4482-8F39-F2EFC5628F3C.jpeg

0D224A95-15D4-47B7-8066-E9219289F5F8.jpeg

I spent just over half an hour unwinding in my room before heading out. Long enough to carefully & neatly unpack my luggage (pictured above 😂), long enough to recharge my phone for the parks. I didn't even bother showering yet; plane travel is grubby, but not sticky like a day outdoors in Florida. (In general, while the temperatures were familiar from what I left behind in Los Angeles, the severe humidity was a shock to this desert rat, and I never fully got used to it.)

8395A757-7BEF-4876-B69D-DAD237FA1F44.jpeg

It took maybe 15 minutes between leaving my room to reaching Universal's security checkpoint. I appreciate the resort entry process. Arriving there by complementary bus, hotel guests merge with day guests leaving the parking structure. The metal detector process was slower than Disney World's security, but never an inconvenience - not with the off-peak crowds I encountered. A covered moving walkway carries you swiftly across a resort roadway into the CityWalk shopping district.

B64DB52C-67BF-4FC6-923D-9E7227995612.jpeg

2AC3DF3E-C1F6-4337-9E97-818A9F3C781D.jpeg

I may not be a gigantic fan of CityWalk's now-standard postmodern design aesthetic (I remember being agog for Hollywood's CityWalk when it first premiered in the early '90s), but I definitely love the convenience. You have to pass through CityWalk on either end of a Uni park visit, making it an easy thing to do. Need a drink, or a quick bite that's better than theme park fare? It's right here nearby! For layout alone, this is now my favorite theme park shopping district. I made good use of CityWalk throughout. For now, though, just speeding through and getting the lay of the land.

6B5A8A6E-5216-4CDF-9B16-BAE601CA4756.jpeg

While my original plan was to hit up Velocicoaster in Islands of Adventure straight out of the gate - to snag that crucial #200 coaster credit - this was no longer the game plan. Curse you, Lagoon! Rather, with Universal Studios closing earlier in the day, I chose to head there first, to begin the adventure with Universal's flagship Florida park, with efficiency in mind. We'll see how that went...next time!​

Suchomimus

I may not be a gigantic fan of CityWalk's now-standard postmodern design aesthetic (I remember being agog for Hollywood's CityWalk when it first premiered in the early '90s), but I definitely love the convenience. You have to pass through CityWalk on either end of a Uni park visit, making it an easy thing to do. Need a drink, or a quick bite that's better than theme park fare? It's right here nearby! For layout alone, this is now my favorite theme park shopping district.
If rumors and speculation are true about Universal’s long term expansion plan for the biggest parcel of land where they’re building EU, then we could see a 4th park or second water park, connected to EU with a new CityWalk-type entertainment district that’s twice the size of the current one at the main resort. Of course, this would depend on how well EU does opening year.

Suchomimus

If rumors and speculation are true about Universal’s long term expansion plan for the biggest parcel of land where they’re building EU, then we could see a 4th park or second water park, connected to EU with a new CityWalk-type entertainment district that’s twice the size of the current one at the main resort. Of course, this would depend on how well EU does opening year.
If that does come into fruition, I hope that this entertainment district theme would receive a theme to differentiate itself from the old CityWalk, and for a mode of transport to ferry people around like a boat or a rail line. Something like this;

D Hulk

Original Poster
50ADBC17-4BFC-4AEF-BFA8-0DE6D0265EA3.jpeg

Here we stand at the triumphant gates to Universal Studios Florida, Universal's flagship park. The iconic spinning globe, the oversized entry arch suggesting Hollywood fantasies, and the bridge across spectacular waterways providing resort-wide panoramas...all this makes for a truly memorable park entry sequence.

BF23CE4A-49C1-418E-99F4-046F2AC73109.jpeg

12C81951-880C-4479-8858-9ECE9D83CD5A.jpeg

Though it was preceded by Universal Studios Hollywood, this was Uni's first from-scratch ground-up park effort, their chance to truly strut their stuff without Hollywood's awkward spatial limitations. The Florida Studios was first conceived as a working film studio with attached theme park; only the theme park remains now, leaving Hollywood in the unique position as the world's only remaining true studio park (to my knowledge).

F50E8DC8-9008-4C3E-8EBA-812AE8E969A7.jpeg

Universal Studios Florida retains evidence of that one-time studio heritage throughout its entry areas. The front of the park has a grid-like pattern which I assume takes inspiration from Hollywood backstages. Like, the intentionally generic New York & San Francisco & Hollywood environs were once genuine studio backlots and theme park areas all at once. The sightlines, the detailing, all these are elements which would receive more attention from later Universal parks (Japan, Singapore, likely Beijing) which were built without the working studio concept. As it is, Universal Florida, the front half at least, is just kinda ugly, and notably lacking in shade or softening organic features.

AF3BB948-4B46-46CA-94AF-43DD93E8B68B.jpeg

There are oh so many random media properties jammed together all at once! This is familiar from the other Studios I've visited, especially Japan. Minions, Transformers, Universal's Monsters, Blues Brothers, Marilyn Monroe, Halloween Horror Nights décor, all visible in a single glance all at once! With theme parks becoming so obsessed with immersion, sometimes it's fun to see things go hog wild in the other direction.

6F0A8AC4-0834-4DFB-8F1F-787D11964171.jpeg

It was nearing 3 PM as I considered the available rides. Nearly all of them were walk-ons; the park was mine to enjoy. I opted to begin the trip with a roller coaster, with Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. Located near the park's entrance, on bad days this can see an unreasonably long queue that apparently isn't worth it, so the 5 minute posted wait made this a priority.

F629FC37-BCC3-45E0-9549-D18A1B539355.jpeg

The locker situation confounded me! Many of Uni's more extreme rides require you stash ALL of your possessions before riding - cell phones, keys, wallets, nothing can ride. This is familiar in most coaster-heavy parks, most of which offer bins on the load platforms. Pre-queue lockers are much more irritating, though at least Uni's were free. Since I didn't have a physical park ticket, only a scannable barcode on my phone, at first I couldn't even open a locker. I later learned - at Velocicoaster - that my hotel keycard worked too, but for now a park attendant provided my with a temporary plastic card. The queue and load station to follow are all basically unthemed stucco & concrete, like at the cheapest Six Flags park. This is an inauspicious start.

Rip Ride Rockit itself is a curiosity. This is a rare model from manufacturer Maurer Sohne, and from riding it you can see why. The ride is rough! Single large cars rise up a vertical lift hill (a potentially intimidating moment, especially for casual riders), then they follow a sort of hill-filled out-and-back layout somewhat like a lesser hyper coaster. There's a non-inverting loop, several weak airtime hills, way too many mid-course brake runs (MCBRs), plus an upwards helix in the shape of a treble clef which pulls some notable positive Gs. Impressively, it's all located between the soundstages over backstage roadways. The ride is picturesque, dominating the Studios' skylines, but on-ride it's utterly one-and-done. An uncomfortable mix of jittery and forceless.

90C17EE6-4BCC-4D1D-92E6-113E0437F8A6.jpeg

Ah, but the songs! Universal lets you select from a panoply of musical genres for your on-ride music. If this concept had been paired with a superior coaster, they'd have a true winner on their hands. I selected Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive," which fit the ride well. Overall, Hollywood Dream at Universal Studios Japan does the "music + a coaster" concept better, helped by a smoother coaster design (B&M > Maurer Sohne), and by its J-Pop music selection. To this day, I still listen to "Osaka Lover" by Dreams Come True thanks to that ride!

A little dizzy after riding, and basically unfed since starting the trip (airplane shortbread cookies do not count), I sought out a lunch. Anything would do. I settled on Mel's Drive-In. The restaurant itself is iconic, and I'm always a fan of mid-century retro nostalgia. The meal - a bacon cheeseburger with fries and a swirly milkshake - was standard theme park fare through and through. Fast food quality at captive audience prices, providing little joy beyond sustenance. Thankfully it was one of the trip's lesser meals, since I had a lot of good dining reservations to come.

DC54C3A9-44AE-41AA-ACA3-FDD0E0B80B82.jpeg

Fed, at least, let's move on. And let's pick up the pace! Universal offers a great many world-class rides back-to-back, and I'm about to start knocking them all out swiftly & systematically!​

D Hulk

Original Poster
F30E2222-6BAA-4096-B0BF-1EE95302B99D.jpeg

Next on the agenda was Jimmy Fallon: Race Through New York. What a daft idea, a Fallon-themed motion simulator! This is Universal in one of their sillier moods, simply combining things seemingly at random to create a fun experience without any particular larger vision. It's a weird one. One I totally enjoyed in the moment, but it didn't stick with me and I never tried it again.

BB6D3A5B-F7E5-4A54-93F4-FCC820F0EB12.jpeg

The pre-ride segment - calling it a "queue" is misleading - was a highlight, as I'd been led to expect. The Tonight Show lobby space, where guests are allowed to simply mingle without the limitations of cattle pen switchbacks, is delightful. Also delightful is Universal's air conditioning! True talk, folks, Universal does air conditioning SO MUCH BETTER than Disney does. This is at least as important for a Florida theme park vacation as theming or rides or food.

038DE3B0-D7BF-45E5-A74D-6EF1BA3963F2.jpeg

What a shame that entertainment and streetmosphere was nearly nonexistent in all parks throughout the trip. I hear the Tonight Show lobby has some great acapella singers at peak times. This was a tradeoff I consciously made, knowing that entertainment would be lacking but that wait times (and lack of FastPass/Lightning Lane at Disney) would make up for it. It's still missed, though. And with crowds so light, we really didn't have much time to enjoy this delightful lobby before the ride began...the weird, weird, weird ride.

5188B156-CECD-4FD5-9E0A-C153077C6BB5.jpeg

Next up was Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride, a Universal classic. There was a great big to-do about the pre-queue lockers, and so - conditioned by my experience with Rip Ride Rockit - I dutifully stuffed my phone & external batter & wallet into a locker in advance. This was totally unnecessary. I should've known better, the other Mummies aren't that intense. This was really only meant for larger backpack items, so I added extra steps for no reason.

Anyway, Mummy. It's one of the great indoors roller coasters. Florida has a larger building to work with than at Hollywood, so the ride is better - it's longer overall, with more extended coaster segments and a better dark ride section. The storytelling is vintage Universal, from the era when they were still nominally pretending that guests were extras on a movie set. So we enter into a "real" fake soundstage, of a "real" fake Egyptian tomb, only the set dressing was apparently "really" purloined from an actual Egyptian ruin, which is actually cursed, and Brendan Frasier is there in the queue videos doing a sort of DVD extra routine, one which ties back into the ride, and the ride itself at times breaks the fourth wall to admit mid-ride that it's a ride, and...My head hurts!

No complaints, though, this ride just oozes with personality. There's a bit of a stop-start-stop pacing as the roller coaster pauses to go backwards, or to pretend that it's momentarily over. This hybrid approach isn't my thing, but it works. Though Singapore still has the slightly better Mummy coaster.

9F80B600-6154-4EDF-8343-54367DD1E0A5.jpeg

Following, I began a beeline towards Woody Woodpecker's KidZone. Why the priority?! There's a kiddie coaster credit out there, Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster, which was calling my name. In this past summer I've become needlessly focused on my coaster count, and so I've begun seeking out minor coaster I might not otherwise do.

5476C0A3-184F-4E6C-BBB0-4BD07EEDD4AA.jpeg

Anyway, since Transformers was right on the way, and since it was a 5 minute wait, I rode Transformers. This is the same ride at Hollywood & Singapore. It's a good one, but it's obviously no Spider-Man. The Michael Bay aesthetic makes for a more cluttered, confusing visual ride experience. Even so, this is the best thing to come out of the whole Bayformers franchise, by a humongous margin. It's fun, the set and screen integration is top notch, it doesn't overstay it's welcome, what's not to love? Thanks to its convenient mid-park location, I found myself often reriding Transformers in the coming days.

1BB8B880-7756-4801-9325-065A07E24D60.jpeg

The continued trek towards Woody Woodpecker took me past some enjoyable park sights. Where the city grids give way to the central lagoon, this is a good moment. Though overall I'd say Disney's Hollywood Studios does the Hollywood concept better, this stretch is where Universal comes the closest. There is a pleasant Beverly Hills boulevard in one direction, a park-like boulevard in the other, and some Spanish revival stucco architecture off to the side. The smattering of Horror Nights props throughout was perhaps a little distracting.

1F778A4F-191B-4B5B-B2A7-758215D44206.jpeg

Florida weather likes to turn on a dime. In the time it took to simply cross from New York to KidZone, grey clouds took over the skies. There was even a fantastic clap of ominous thunder which accompanied my first glimpse of KidZone, like a scene straight out of a 1930s Universal monster movie! "Nice!" I audibly commented. I grew worried that they might shut down the kiddie coaster for the storm, so I quickly trotted in its direction...

...to be greeted by cast members explaining that they'd shut down the kiddie coaster for the storm. (Do we call Universal employees "cast members?")

2ED3C36B-AB2B-40E5-B079-9D7E3EA7CBCA.jpeg

Deterred from my coaster credit - for now - I regarded the rest of KidZone. This must be the most dated section of Universal. It's just a concrete city park with random, discrete child-friendly attractions based on seemingly random franchises. A SpongeBob StorePants shop. Woody Woodpecker. Curious George playground. Unrelated American Tail playground. (Jeepers that's a vintage property!) Another area apparently concerning Dreamworks Animation, but it's closed for Horror Nights. Barney the Purple Dinosaur, of all things, is in here someplace too.

30C4B72E-5A44-4261-B603-C3CD9EE26B3C.jpeg

Oh, and E.T. Adventure! The shining jewel which keeps KidZone afloat! A rare flashback to opening day Universal. Delightfully dated in the best possible way, and a flashback to the one time I rode it in Hollywood (the wait time then was atrocious, which is why I only did it once before). With nobody in the queue today, this was an easy call. Let’s help save E.T.! This is a good, practical "Fantasyland" dark ride, reminiscent of Peter Pan's Flight. It relies a bit on nostalgia for E.T., but most movie-based attractions rely on built-in emotions. The surreal acid trip finale on E.T.'s home planet remained just as I remembered it from 30 years ago, so strange and left field and memorable. Let’s hope this ride survives a while longer.

Next up: Men in Black, Harry Potter, rain​

Lizzy May Bee

Also delightful is Universal's air conditioning
Yeah, the main reason to go to a Universal park is to keep a nice temperature lol
Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster, which was calling my name.
That phrasing is so intimidating
Anyway, since Transformers was right on the way, and since it was a 5 minute wait, I rode Transformers. This is the same ride at Hollywood & Singapore. It's a good one, but it's obviously no Spider-Man. The Michael Bay aesthetic makes for a more cluttered, confusing visual ride experience. Even so, this is the best thing to come out of the whole Bayformers franchise, by a humongous margin. It's fun, the set and screen integration is top notch, it doesn't overstay it's welcome, what's not to love? Thanks to its convenient mid-park location, I found myself often reriding Transformers in the coming days.
If I’m to trust that it is the same as Hollywood, then let me say that Transformers is sick!
(Do we call Universal employees "cast members?")
I mean, they are members of the cast.

D Hulk

Original Poster
3B3D67FA-274B-4A42-AE50-0B8CF09E7AED.jpeg

My whirlwind tour of Universal Studios next led through Springfield, AKA The Simpsons Land. This is an expanded version of what we have out home in Hollywood, also built around a retheme to the old Back to the Future simulator. (I miss that!) Cartoony areas like this aren't usually as visually effective as areas like Diagon Alley which come from live action media. Springfield serves its purpose well enough, even if the show's look means fewer details and simplistic, untextured surfaces.

D5482593-034F-400E-9DD6-4642910DAAAF.jpeg

The “El Barto” graffiti is a nice touch

I can attest from Hollywood visits that Springfield serves its purpose as a food hub, with a wide variety of familiar American foods done decently at places like Krusty Burger, Moe's, Cletus' Chicken Shack, Lard Lad Donuts, and a Bumblebee Man taco truck. Some of these were closed while I was there, because of the low crowds. This didn't impact my visit.

7551F2D6-95BA-4EA0-A500-3482B7F484F2.jpeg

I also never rode The Simpsons Ride. For the same reason, I never rode Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem. Both are screen-based simulators which we have out in Hollywood. I assumed the experiences would be largely the same. I also dislike the slow loading process for these large theater rides. Neither Simpsons nor Minions ducked below 25 minute wait times, despite the walk-ons most everywhere else. They weren't priorities, and there was plenty else to do besides.

I also never tried the Kang & Kodos Twirl 'n' Hurl, because, you know, spinner ride. What you see is what you get: insubstantial ride experiences which add kinetic movement to their surrounding area. I don't hate 'em, but I rarely ride 'em unless I'm being thorough.

DB9EC893-3D86-4D69-9039-26B21AB6DB72.jpeg

So instead I continued on towards Men in Black: Alien Attack, one of the Florida rides which most intrigued me. As I stated in my initial trip notes, this might be my favorite shooter dark ride. Sadly I only got to enjoy it this one time, due to schedule priorities and a poor location in the park's far rear.

BFA05C91-408F-4D3D-9994-E325215A30FD.jpeg

The entire MIB experience is playful and fun throughout. The queue is a standout on its own, with a very "Epcot" fake-out serving as a false front for the real deal. From the start, they capture the raucous energy of the old MIB films, and in this case I'd say it works well enough if you don't know the movies. The premise - blasting wacky aliens - isn't that complex really.

003D4BC5-F620-47E4-807F-88C275602B1B.jpeg

The ride is good times, too, with a delightfully tactile physical environment throughout. The number and density of simple animatronics everywhere reminded me of Tokyo's Monsters Inc. Ride 'n' Go-Seek, the only "shooter" which competes with this one. (Only Monsters Inc. isn't really a shooter in the same way.)

Most shooters feel samey, just one long target gallery from start to finish. MIB has a distinct story progression. It starts out chintzy, just lame pop-up cardboard cutout targets, and just when you're thinking "Is this all it is?", the ride transitions to a genuinely impressive alien invasion on the streets of New York.

It's so naturalistic, too; no obvious LED target boards to shoot at, simply shoot towards the aliens. Smaller beasties to start out with, then larger critters. The cars spin at seemingly random intervals, keeping riders disoriented.

At one point you become aware of a competing vehicle on a parallel track. Later, passing by a x-ray screen, Universal reveals that the other riders are actually (gasp!) aliens in disguise, They Live style! Blast them! Ride vehicles are now shooting targets! The gameplay objective has changed!

Then a great big massive kaiju monster centerpiece tops things off!

There's a final gameplay trick involving a big red button, which I didn't totally grasp, but whatever, that's a replay element. Will Smith neuralizes everyone, and the ride comes full circle. This is a complete experience, inspired in a way few others in its genre can match.

E6E63A33-0827-4AEC-B185-3D63D6A22816.jpeg

The long-building thunderstorm had broken now. Light rainfall greeted me upon exit, and the moisture continued to build as I casually meandered my way towards Diagon Alley. At first I was obstinate, shaking my fists to the heavens, daring them to do their worst. But the rains continued to build in intensity! Out came the umbrellas and ponchos, people fleeing for the nearest covering. Yet still I sauntered along lagoon bridges, enjoying the storm's novelty (we don't have weather in Los Angeles).

Then a lightning flash revealed the true face of terror!

A8E8AA82-5014-43DA-919A-4C547993845C.jpeg

“AAAAAAAHHHH!”

Running for my life from Chucky, I sought shelter in Diagon Alley.

0807B6BF-8760-4484-BCF7-1FD2F0B01AF3.jpeg

This is a good enough place to pause again. Diagon Alley offers a whole heck of a lot to check out, and a whole lot of pics to go with it.​

D Hulk

Original Poster
BBC1555E-6AFD-4F87-943B-6DEC4EEF7762.jpeg

Diagon Alley is hard to discuss. It came pre-hyped as one of Orlando’s best themed areas, and it didnt disappoint. It didn’t overwhelm me either, because I’ve seen Hogsmeade at other resorts and so I was familiar with the design principles at play here. Universal Creative took a smart approach, doing everything conceivable to simply recreate Rowling’s environments in a theme park setting. There’s a sizable excess of detail not found elsewhere in the Studios. While I might overall prefer Hogsmeade for its less urban setting, it’s that urban London element which helps make Diagon Alley feel so lived-in, so encompassing, so stuffed full of things to find around every corner.

D9CBF183-40E7-48B8-B5EB-CF9E0ADB1119.jpeg

It is entirely possible to spend quite some time simply exploring every nook and cranny, and still not find everything, even without being a particularly big Potterhead. So I grabbed myself a Butterbeer, natch, and I did just that, casually peeking into each shop I could and admiring the animated window displays, the interactive wand elements other wizards were activating (the leaking umbrella seemed nicely ironic during a Florida rainstorm), just soaking it in. For now I’ll cease my endless ranting (not sure how that’s playing with readers so far), and let the remaining Diagon Alley photos do the talking.

10BD1112-D154-4B84-8EC6-2806FDAE7ACE.jpeg

3C06207E-A5D1-4CF4-B885-F9D2C2E2B0D4.jpeg

BB6FECC2-62CA-4DCB-A246-753881648DC6.jpeg

Mr, Goldfinger, you joined me in Florida!

D644B8D1-F540-49BF-B868-D2C850FD0971.jpeg

33CA9472-EFE4-453D-AD47-C540D50DA026.jpeg

3DD4F962-36B3-4E0A-B624-C6C2C428585D.jpeg

C4453652-C6F9-482A-8961-2F3B3F0088C8.jpeg

96F34F89-E3CF-47AA-90BB-FAA95FF972DC.jpeg

D Hulk

Original Poster
D3BAE0F3-7626-49E0-872C-92824E2CBD2A.jpeg

My Butterbeer (delicious) determined my Diagon Alley touring pace. Eager to quickly board Escape from Gringotts, I hastily slurped down the icy sweet dregs, and I got brain freeze. Then I marched into the Gringotts Single Rider line, avoiding a 40 minute wait.

On a later day I'd do the whole Gringotts experience, so this description will take that into account, queue and all. And that queue is the best part of it! (Florida in general does queues the best of anyplace I've been worldwide.) The initial bank lobby is jaw-dropping. With that grand chandelier especially, it feels better than theme park quality. The goblin animatronics were nice too.

AA04F071-6E9F-44B2-B559-59FE53347A2C.jpeg

The rest of the queue is a wonderful piece of place-making and storytelling, using mostly visual cues. Guests are, well, guests of the bank, progressing deeper into the vaults, with a genuine immersive sense that you've headed deep beneath the earth's surface. The pre-show "terravator," conjuring up pleasant memories of DisneySea's fantastic Journey to the Center of the Earth, really, truly sells the effect. There is a typical screen pre-show involving Potter movie actors, which labors too hard to fit guests into Rowling's larger Potterverse narrative. This foreshadows the ride itself, which is super plotty. Not my favorite ride style. It works fine for a one-and-done - which might work better in Florida with its out-of-towner visitors - but it might grow tiresome on rerides.

54294131-6DAA-46E9-A43C-1BE1458D5D35.jpeg

As for the ride...I'm grateful to finally experience a version of the mythical SFX Coaster concept. This fuses coaster elements with elements of screen-based dark ride-style storytelling. The result is neither fish nor fowl. It's better as a thrilling dark ride than a coaster, and more interesting as a tech showpiece than an experience. The major Potter rides in Hogsmeade are better.

Universal Studios was slated to close at 6 PM (for Halloween Horror Nights I think), only half an hour away. I'd initially planned on park hopping over to Islands of Adventure using the Hogwarts Express, to maintain that Harry Potter vibe as long as possible. The 25 minute posted wait (typical of this ride, actually) dissuaded me, so rather I headed towards the front of the park for an on-foot park hop. Along the way I happened upon The Fast and the Furious: Supercharged.

559DB84F-9172-4D21-885D-2EF8495A9578.jpeg

This is objectively Universal's worst major ride. They simply cloned the Hollywood Tram Tour climax - the worst part of the Tram Tour - and made it a standalone attraction. This utterly does not do justice to arguably Universal Studios' best in-house film franchise, which demands a physical thrill machine on par with Velocicoaster.

B681F056-9E07-41C7-9956-E77A5D002A14.jpeg

Once again, the queue was the best part of the attraction. Who knew "contemporary industrial" could be so detailed & immersive? All the Easter eggs and show cars on display spoke to me as a longtime Fast & Furious geek. I reacted here how I saw other guests reacting to the Harry Potter stuff. Got a little teary eyed even over Paul Walker, again. Loved the cookout set with the Coronas. Loved the Dodge Charger on display. Loved the true-to-life motorhead props, very reminiscent of the brief forays I’ve taken into the real street racing world of L.A.

3AE0D8FF-E611-440C-9ACB-88B7CFD7B074.jpeg

Loved too the pair of hysterically goofy pre-shows where live team members interact with videos of Tej and Hobbs. The team members seem to realize they're working on a garbage attraction, so they lean into it, Jungle Cruise style. They make it into a really amusing meta joke. One guy entered into an extended rant about Dom's weird concept of "family," while the other guy mostly just poked holes into the ride's ludicrous (& Ludacris) premise.

C1D1A12E-DAE8-47CA-9BFF-8D15FE68F8BF.jpeg

The ride was dumb and laughable. It's The Room of theme park attractions. (Seriously, a party bus?! :hilarious:)

7BA221B3-A441-4F2D-8707-9A11E77376FD.jpeg

Afterwards, Hogwarts Express was still at 25 minutes, so I continued towards the park entrance instead. A little over two hours remained before Islands of Adventure closed for the day, so I couldn't be tempted by the Studios' attractions on the way out. Though I did travel at a leisurely pace, trying my best to soak in the park's atmosphere a bit.

72CAFDC0-E8F6-4FDF-9CB7-E57106788699.jpeg

The exit sequence in particular stands out in my mind. That iconic Universal globe is precisely placed to act as a "weenie" for departing guests, leaving you with a strong final impression of the park. Humidity was high with the lingering effects of the brief rainstorm, making for a nice mist effect around the globe's base. I'm starting to ease into the trip's mood. Time to park hop!

AB4180DF-EF43-4A29-BF13-DD65EF1AC9A9.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom