News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Cliff

Since they're probably going to keep this around for at least a few years, and although most of us don't like it, the actual overall reaction is probably closer to "mixed"... the best we can hope for is that they edit and rework it a bit:

1. No reason for this show to be 20 minutes long. Keep the same amount of pyro but reduce the amount of time we are only watching screens while the tentacle things slowly change positions. This show could probably edited down to 15 minutes and not lose anything worthwhile at all. The pacing and energy wouldn't feel so sluggish and dull if this were tightened up.

2. The show reveals all of its hands way too early. It begins by showcasing all of the tech on the lake, but maybe it should begin with pyro, which everyone knows going in will be an element, and then gradually reveal all the ways the (unfortunate) barges can morph and whatnot.

3. The screens need to be showing something better than what looks like a college freshman's computer animations. I don't want them to just replace them with clips straight from the films, but they need to look better than they do.

4. Open and close with an original song that actually sets whatever theme they are attempting and is memorable. There actually is an opener and closer, but it isn't good or memorable.

5. Add narration in between at least some of the segments to help tie it together. I still wouldn't believe there actually is an overarching theme to the song choices, but it would at least feel like a finished and somewhat more cohesive product. A narration is also less monotonous than a dark "hold for applause" after every segment. It can be the same voice as the beginning and end... I actually did like that.

6. Remove the freaking Jungle Book and any other song that has absolutely no connection to any of the pavilions. Most of them are already iffy associations at best, aside from Coco, but there's absolutely no reason at all that The Jungle Book and a few others should be in there. Wishful thinking, but maybe ensure each pavilion is represented, and if they don't have a damn Disney song to pair with, showcase some traditional style music from them. I realize this would be tricky to get right.

Please Disney, take note. I fear that their takeaway is going to be, "well the fans are just butthurt over the loss of IllumiNations." But even though I adored IllumiNations, I assure you I was more than willing to give this a fair chance. I feel 100% confident that these changes would improve the show and I hate that I, with no experience in show production, came up with them when industry leaders did not. I think whoever said that, with all the layoffs from Covid, everyone was just agreeing with everything over fear of getting laid off. The result is a show with many, many elements where someone should have stepped in and said "this doesn't work."
Tom,...you took the words right outa my mouth. All of these are great points and very well said!

Let's hope Disney research is reading this! +1

Tom Morrow

In point 4, the EPCOT anthem is the original song.
But, i agree in point 6, because music from the Jungle Book too similar to Mickey's Mix Magic and has nothing to do with 11 countries at the Pavilion, unless India Pavilion is ever built.

Ooh, so it's the new anthem! I didn't realize. The opening and closing were probably the best parts of the show IMO.

TTA94

So what happened to the short part of “How Far I’ll Go/Go The Distance with the drums? I’d love to hear the demo or original soundtrack.

:36 in this video.

Figments Friend

I watched this for the first time last night and was bowled over at how impressive it was. I know it's just spaceship earth with a lighting package, but I reacted to that far more than the entirety of the harmonious show. The music is spot on! :D

Agree.
This is stunning in person.
The intensity of the color saturation of the lights, combined with the short musical interludes is quite impressive in person.

I had mixed feelings the first night I saw it last week....and again a couple of days ago.
A part of me prefers the beauty of Spaceship Earth as it's always appeared at night, but this is pretty awesome in person and dare I say moving.

I was getting far more emotional from these short little 'light shows' then anything contained within 'HARMonius'.
Even the music is better....

-

Cliff

Agree.
The intensity of the color saturation of the lights, combined with the short musical interludes is quite impressive in person.

I had mixed feelings the first night I saw it last week....and again a couple of days ago.
A part of me prefers the beauty of Spaceship Earth as it's always appeared at night, but this is pretty awesome in person and dare I say moving.

I was getting far more emotional from these short little 'light shows' then anything contained within 'HARMonius'.

-
For me,...I DO like these lights on Spaceship Earth.

Amidst Harmonious catastrophe, I think the work that was done to Spaceship Earth is a true success story. No complaints from me on this project.

My next trip to Guest Relations? I will tell them how bad I think Harmonious is and then finish it with PRAISE for how good THIS is.

wtyy21

Agree.

-

The Beacons of Magic projection in Cinderella Castle is more better than this.

Bocabear

I only wish the show had more to do with the legacy of EPCOT and not just more of a Magic Kingdom show... Something more unique and special for this park...
That is what made Illuminations and the Millennium Celebrations so special...They were designed to fit into the fabric of this park... Not just more random cartoon songs. The tech is pretty. Overall is pretty amazing, but the content needs improving.
I would even prefer them go back to some of EPCOT's past themes like" We Go On"...
Just to have one theme for the park that is memorable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom