News 'Disney Enchantment' coming to Magic Kingdom October 1 2021

ToTBellHop

I agree that the pressure to do *something* when everything else got canned surely had to do with this decision

However, I disagree that it's cynical that they would monetize it. When has Disney ever replaced a popular offering after 36 months of runtime? Heck, when have they replaced an unpopular offering that fast?

So my question is, when After Hours goes generic in January/February, are there simply no fireworks at all and the price is reduced?

Or do they continue the new tradition of fireworks in After Hours and use the show that is sitting on a hard drive with projections that are compatible with the current decorations and pyro that is compatible with the current infrastructure. To me, 1+1=2 in this scenario.

Neither of those were as negatively received as the decision to debut Disney Enchantment. What happens to the person/team/organization responsible for the universally hated show that replaced their flagship theme park's nighttime spectacular? A lot is on the line.

The other difference here is that HEA was meticulously planned, designed and built. DE was quite obviously a fast tracked show; they used the same exact rendition of the same exact song twice!
Universally hated? That’s a bit much. 90+% are “satisfied”. That doesn’t mean they adore it, but they certainly don’t hate it. A minuscule minority hate it.

Most people like it. Most people like Harm, as well. Gasp. The surveys don’t ask about daytime tacos and the Stargate, however. People do like tacos, generally speaking, however. “de Pollo” is the most popular.

Disney Glimpses

Universally hated? That’s a bit much. 90+% are “satisfied”. That doesn’t mean they adore it, but they certainly don’t hate it. A minuscule minority hate it.

Most people like it.
Their social medias are filled with comments and nearly 100% of them are negative. The 2017 posts regarding HEA had the opposite response.

Disney Glimpses

That doesn’t matter to Disney in the least. They care about paying guests.
Totally, and that's why I think long term they will look at financial models regarding spending in the Magic Kingdom (what the shows are designed to boost). And truthfully, I doubt it moves the needle that much. That being said, they have a phenomenal show that anyone who hasn't been to their park in the last 48 months has not seen and I simply don't see it going unused for eternity.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sure, bias can influence the creation of a survey, however, until there's a whistle blower that says that Disney surveys are useless because there's already a predetermined plan and that either:
1. The survey is ham-handedly and intentionally rigged to only produce results they want to hear; or,​
2. The survey is just ignored... they go through the motions of surveys merely for the appearance of caring​

..then..

I regard this extreme skepticism of surveys as nothing more than a conspiracy that people have bought into, like microchips in vaccines.

Disney spending millions for such a sham... That's the truly unbelievable part of this.

Disney Glimpses

Sure, bias can influence the creation of a survey, however, until there's a whistle blower that says that Disney surveys are useless because there's already a predetermined plan and that either:
1. The survey is ham-handedly and intentionally rigged to only produce results they want to hear; or,​
2. The survey is just ignored... they go through the motions of surveys merely for the appearance of caring​

..then..

I regard this extreme skepticism of surveys as nothing more than a conspiracy that people have bought into, like microchips in vaccines.

Disney spending millions for such a sham... That's the truly unbelievable part of this.
You're right. But it really does depend on who is running the survey. The questions do matter.

Here's one simple question, are you just as likely, more likely or less likely to visit the Magic Kingdom and stay until close with Disney Enchantment as you were Happily Ever After? To me it's a resounding "less likely." They aren't asking this. But if this is the case, it will be revealed in the crude financial and reservation metrics.

SpoiledBlueMilk

I bet people who watching the show online at soft opening (media event) and the official public debut will need to see Enchantment in person to see how someone feel about DE actually. This was in case when Disneyland Forever premiered in May 2015, when people initially didn't like the show because it was not celebrating the park, DLF actually celebrate movies like Magical and Wishes was.
For the life of me, I can't understand how an entertainment company the size and scale of Disney can produce such amateur looking livestreams. The recorded preview stream had poorly lit talent and was completely underexposed for the DE show. I found it lackluster after seeing the official stream. Then a day later, I see multiple vlogger videos with consumer grade cameras that showed significantly more vibrancy and detail than Disney's broadcast cameras captured. When you're being beaten by a vlogger with a Sony A7, you're doing it wrong.

ImperfectPixie

You're right. But it really does depend on who is running the survey. The questions do matter.

Here's one simple question, are you just as likely, more likely or less likely to visit the Magic Kingdom and stay until close with Disney Enchantment as you were Happily Ever After? To me it's a resounding "less likely." They aren't asking this. But if this is the case, it will be revealed in the crude financial and reservation metrics.
A perfect example of a biased survey was the one asking about renaming Hollywood Studios. Every single choice sounded like a kindergartener hopped up on sugar came up with it.

Disney is such that their surveys are nearly always heavily biased - it's rather easy to tell from the questions and/or available answers.

ToTBellHop

When we look at a social media response, we need to remind ourselves that most viewers do nothing other than watch. Only those with the strongest opinions comment. If most people “like” a show, that isn’t a strong opinion. No comment. A minority who hate it will comment.

More will click thumbs up or down, but still not most. You still need a pretty strong opinion. That will skew negative but less than the comments section. 181k views but only 5.3k clicked like or dislike.
336B353D-2B20-4FD7-9B60-6925B3F4E693.jpeg

Greater than 70% of people who viewed the DPB stream (and clicked on anything) clicked like. It is not terribly hard to believe that 90% of ALL MK guests would like the show if asked. Those who viewed the DPB stream skew toward the critical side of park guests. Day to day folks are less critical.

I don’t believe any data are being made up.

Context on HEA: Wishes was old. They knew they would need a new fireworks before 2021. HEA was approved to include some tech they wanted for the 50th anyway. They effectively got themselves a new show to market several years back and then a second new show this year by spreading out their tech purchases. In doing so, we got “gifted” an extra show.

Disney Glimpses

When we look at a social media response, we need to remind ourselves that most viewers do nothing other than watch. Only those with the strongest opinions comment. If most people “like” a show, that isn’t a strong opinion. No comment. A minority who hate it will comment.

More will click thumbs up or down, but still not most. You still need an opinion. That will skew negative but less than the comments section.
View attachment 591050
Greater than 70% of people who viewed the DPB stream (and clicked on anything) clicked like. It is not terribly hard to believe that 90% of ALL MK guests would like the show if asked. Those who viewed the DPB stream skew toward the critical side of park guests. Day to day folks are less critical.

I don’t believe any data are being made up.

Context on HEA: Wishes was old. They knew they would need a new fireworks before 2021. HEA was approved to include some tech they wanted for the 50th anyway. They effectively got themselves a new show to market several years back and then a second new show this year by spreading out their tech purchases. In doing so, we got “gifted” an extra show.
Umm..that's a pretty crazy ratio...in a bad way. Most fans are unlikely to thumb down a Disney Parks post even if they don't like the show. Wow.

Disney Analyst

That last sentence is pretty scary. How was this show the plan? It lacks any sort of story, has no connection to the 50th….I just don’t get this at all. I get they covid most likely had an impact on things but besides the Epcot ball lighting package I think most of the 50th has been a swing and a miss.

this kind of started with the 60th at Disneyland. Disneyland Forever, although visually stunning, the main complaint was it was an IP clip show. Sure it had an introduction about orange groves and 60 years, but apart from that it had little to do with Disneyland itself.

I actually don’t think we would see an RDCT type show again. The closest to that was Epcot Forever.

ToTBellHop

Umm..that's a pretty crazy ratio...in a bad way. Most fans are unlikely to thumb down a Disney Parks post even if they don't like the show. Wow.
Not really. A recent Princess and the Frog video got about 30% thumbs down, too, and we don’t even know what that will be. Lots of negativity online right now. Which is why Disney isn’t really engaging with it.

Disney Glimpses

Not really. A recent Princess and the Frog video got about 30% thumbs down, too, and we don’t even know what that will be. Lots of negativity online right now. Which is why Disney isn’t really engaging with it.
I don't think we need to keep going back and forth but the DPL video for HEA was >99% thumbs up before they delisted it shortly after the stream.

We all know why the PATF video got 30% thumbs down and it's totally different, polarizing issue that has bled into politics and people that aren't even parks fans and is really irrelevant to this.

And it's more than just online negativity. Prominent Parks media like Scott Gustin, Carlye Wisel, Ashley Carter all voiced displeasure. And that's on top of nearly every vlogger with and without a media credentials.

The opposite held true with Happily Ever After. I distinctly remember vloggers saying it was the best show they ever saw. Heck, just watch the crowd reaction of both premieres. Day and night.

That's what makes the survey results so perplexing.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I don't think we need to keep going back and forth but the DPL video for HEA was >99% thumbs up before they delisted it shortly after the stream.

We all know why the PATF video got 30% thumbs down and it's totally different, polarizing issue that has bled into politics and people that aren't even parks fans and is really irrelevant to this.
I’m just trying to understand Disney’s data points. I don’t know what they’ll do in 2023. But DE is clearly “good enough” for the 50th. Nothing to see here!

Disney Glimpses

I’m just trying to understand Disney’s data points. I don’t know what they’ll do in 2023. But DE is clearly “good enough” for the 50th. Nothing to see here!
I don't wanna continue to hog up this thread so I'll end with this - you are correct in my opinion. I think I could've fallen in love with Disney Enchantment as a limited runtime show for the 50th; but they were clear it was a permanent change. That's where my expectations of the show changed drastically.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A perfect example of a biased survey was the one asking about renaming Hollywood Studios. Every single choice sounded like a kindergartener hopped up on sugar came up with it.

Disney is such that their surveys are nearly always heavily biased - it's rather easy to tell from the questions and/or available answers.
Or, they just had bad ideas and the general public confirmed it, and so they didn't go through with renaming the park, which Iger said they were going to do.

You have no proof your scenario is correct.

freediverdude

Now I haven't seen it in person, but after watching the multiple camera angle 4K video that is out there of Enchantment, my opinion is that it is in between. It is better than HEA, which I wasn't fond of and thought it was too much Moana sing along and not enough fireworks, but it's not as good as Wishes.

It started out pretty good, and I had high hopes for it after the first segment, as a possible worthy successor to Wishes, but then it kind of lost its way, and I didn't recognize enough of the songs (I guess they were all from real recent movies and aimed at the youngish female demographic), and the evil lightning bolt segment wasn't clear what that was about, and then not a strong enough finish.

In short, they had a really good idea with this, that I think could have been a big hit and worthy successor to Wishes, but they didn't quite achieve it. It needs more movie song clips that would attract people of all ages and demographics, and then a really strong heart touching finish. They were soo close but not quite. At least it's better than HEA though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom