News 'Disney Enchantment' coming to Magic Kingdom October 1 2021

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I typically find Disney firework storylines to be rather abstract…only exception I can think of is Not So Spooky, where we are spoon-fed, and I hate that show. Just me.
Well there was the short lived "Murders in the Rue Morgue" fireworks extravaganza. They had to present enough audio and visual clues throughout the program that the casual viewer would have a shot of solving the two brutal murders. Wasn't well reviewed. I think the biggest mistake was playing the Iron Maiden song in the background. Should've been cranked.

Disney Glimpses

I don’t personally find the Castle projections to be as lazy as some seem to feel. I prefer projections that work with the architecture rather than projecting extremely distorted characters onto large portions of a textured building.

View attachment 590993
1633366300632.png

I disagree that these aren't lazy. Look how monotone/cheap/flat each of the colored sections are here. It's super basic. Compare this Brave scene in Happily Ever After:
1633366265025.png

Disney Glimpses

If you ask people how satisfied they are with two shows, even if you have them assign a number, if you set a 7 out of 10 as “satisfied,” and 90+% rated HEA at 7-or-higher with that also being the case for DE, you can declare the job a success. After all, they all want to protect their own jobs. It doesn’t matter if the average rating is lower. That doesn’t appear in the PowerPoint slide deck.

To be fair, with demand coming once vaccines are available to kids, it will probably work.

I think both shows are fine for the 50th. I’m curious to hear more about plans in Spring 2023. I doubt we will see any significant changes (other than perhaps adding some dialogue) before then.
I still think HEA steps in as the firework show for non-themed After Hours events as the precedence has been set now that After Hours has fireworks.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
These are the same surveys that gave Disney the feedback that HEA was very well liked. And they were born out to be true. And WDW held off on an Electric Night Parade because HEA was more than satisfactory.

But we're going to presume the surveys are a farce in the case of a show we don't care for?

Disney Glimpses

But we're going to presume the surveys are a farce in the case of a show we don't care for?
When everything else says the opposite, yes, I think so. HEA was well received in surveys but also immediately following the first public viewing. Sure you had the "wishes was better" or "this is tacky" crowd sprinkled here and there but I have only seen a extreme consensus 3 times among Disney parks fans:

Journey Into Your Imagination (Negative), Rise of the Resistance (Positive), Disney Enchantment (Negative)

The truth is the surveys matter in the short term. If the nighttime revenue numbers suffer long term, they will look for answers. If they don't then the surveys were right or they were wrong and it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Disney Glimpses

My questions are:

1. Why end a show after 36 months of runtime (including COVID suspension)?
2. Why put the non-trivial effort of making the show graphically compatible with the 50th decorations?
3. Why spend the time to modify the pyro to make it compatible with the pyro infrastructure of Disney Enchantment?

Those pyro 'cuts' we saw when HEA returned in July? They were not cuts. They were compatibility changes.

All of this for <90 days? That is not the Disney of today.

Truthfully, I think they saw how popular HEA was and decided to pull it from regular admission so that it can be monetized. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

These are the same surveys that gave Disney the feedback that HEA was very well liked. And they were born out to be true. And WDW held off on an Electric Night Parade because HEA was more than satisfactory.

I don’t think the surveys are a farce, but they do manipulate the data. Of course, as I suggested, they are still using a fair comparison of the shows (”greater than 90% approve of each”) while hiding (willfully?) the fact that one may be preferred over the other. I doubt we will ever learn the preference, though. They keep a lid on such data points. But I do know early GSATs are very similar to HEA.

We will see how it looks after 6, 12, and 18 months, however. It’s very early. I suspect GSATs will improve for this and Harm over time as they become the shows we associate with the parks. I don’t always like a Dua Lipa song the first time I hear it, but eventually…

James Alucobond

My question is why end a show after 36 months of runtime (including COVID suspension)?

Why put the non-trivial effort of making the show graphically compatible with the 50th decorations?

Why spend the time to modify the pyro to make it compatible with the pyro infrastructure of Disney Enchantment?

All of this for 90 days? That is not the Disney of today.

Truthfully, I think they saw how popular HEA was and decided to pull it from regular admission so that it can be monetized. I hope I'm wrong.
I think the idea that it will be monetized is perhaps overly cynical. Why do a new show so soon? Because plans changed, and they needed something big to advertise for the 50th. With parades and other entertainment in limbo, the easiest path forward was a more extensive overhaul of the nighttime spectacular than originally planned. If more successful, keep it. If less successful, fall back on the other and weave it into the narrative of it being exclusive to the 50th. I don't personally think there's much more to it than that. If you think people were annoyed with how little "happened" for the 50th, imagine it without Enchantment.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The first rule of surveys, determine the outcome you are look for and then tailor the survey to be sure you get that outcome.
So, someone at WDW wanted HEA to be super popular and they manipulated the data for that outcome, regardless of how HEA did? And so those surveys that showed HEA was popular is just garbage?

And the survey that showed the MK had better scores with SGE closed than open were worthless?

Disney Glimpses

I think the idea that it will be monetized is perhaps overly cynical. Why do a new show so soon? Because plans changed, and they needed something big to advertise for the 50th. With parades and other entertainment in limbo, the easiest path forward was a more extensive overhaul of the nighttime spectacular than originally planned. If more successful, keep it. If less successful, fall back on the other and weave it into the narrative of it being exclusive to the 50th. I don't personally think there's much more to it than that. If you think people were annoyed with how little "happened" for the 50th, imagine it without Enchantment.
I agree that the pressure to do *something* when everything else got canned surely had to do with this decision

However, I disagree that it's cynical that they would monetize it. When has Disney ever replaced a popular offering after 36 months of runtime? Heck, when have they replaced an unpopular offering that fast?

So my question is, when After Hours goes generic in January/February, are there simply no fireworks at all and the price is reduced?

Or do they continue the new tradition of fireworks in After Hours and use the show that is sitting on a hard drive with projections that are compatible with the current decorations and pyro that is compatible with the current infrastructure. To me, 1+1=2 in this scenario.

So, someone at WDW wanted HEA to be super popular and they manipulated the data for that outcome, regardless of how HEA did? And so those surveys that showed HEA was popular is just garbage?

And the survey that showed the MK had better scores with SGE closed than open were worthless?
Neither of those were as negatively received as the decision to debut Disney Enchantment. What happens to the person/team/organization responsible for the universally hated show that replaced their flagship theme park's nighttime spectacular? A lot is on the line.

The other difference here is that HEA was meticulously planned, designed and built. DE was quite obviously a fast tracked show; they used the same exact rendition of the same exact song twice!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom