News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

ChrisFL

Premium Member
A total aside - I’ve long thought OLC should sponsor the Sinbad Storybook Voyage ride in the Japan pavilion which would be a) the best ride in World Showcase and b) an incredible way to advertise Tokyo DisneySea and the TDR as a whole.

I'm pretty sure OLC literally CAN'T advertise Tokyo Disney anywhere outside of Japan per agreements with Disney

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The tech is spectacular. Hands down. It's super impressive. Arms have cool lighting and in several scenes are used really well.
Despite what others have said, they do roll out new tricks as it progresses: stargate pyro, lasers, arm pyro, perimeter pyro canons, spaceship earth lights.

I don't know quite what it is, but there's no denying it's a technically-impressive something

This is one of my understandings of good vs. bad imagineering (and this is just how I think of it, not saying this is what Disney does)....are you using technology to tell a story, or are you making up a story to use technology?

There's obviously overlap for both, but I think often it can easily get lost in the latter. The former should be more prevalent in decision making.

I honestly don't get any of the "wow" or "awe" factor or "only Disney could pull this off" with the technology used in Harmonious. It's a lot of other things used combined, but not in a very seamless way.

RSoxNo1

The show’s story is no more or less present than Illuminations.

Hard disagree
I don't think it's an inaccurate statement. Most people that watched Illuminations didn't comprehend the "story". Having said that, a singular piece of music threading the first 10-12 minutes of the show helped make up for the fact that people didn't understand or need to understand the story being told. In the case of Harmonious, no such thread exists and it comes off as a typical Disney fireworks clip show (PhilharMagic Bonus B-Sides) with a twist that many won't understand or appreciate.

Cutting a segment or two (Beauty and the Beast stands out for me as a candidate) and adding in 20-30 seconds of narration would help tremendously.

When I heard the elevator pitch for the show I thought, "Ok, that could work". When I saw the show I thought, "OK, that didn't work."

Last edited:

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

I actually noticed this too. Every element of each track was the same volume. Even some audio clipping. This, combined with the overly busy, noisy, layered nature of the tracks made me almost want to walk away. I thought maybe it was just the speakers in my area and/or it still needing tweaking, but then they've been working on this show for a while now and all that should have been ironed out if it were equipment related.
Music while the Show runs sounds like a badly mastered CD.
Look up the digital audio issue known as 'brickwalling'.

When I saw the show a couple of nights ago in the Park the thought crossed my mind.
Audio has a overlay harsh 'loudness' to it.
Might have just been my viewing area angle.

-
This sounds like an absolute NIGHTMARE for anyone with auditory sensitivities or sensory processing issues. Granted, most of the shows at WDW can be difficult from a processing standpoint because there is so much sensory input, but generally they blend well enough together and are presented in such a way that a person could still enjoy the show, even if they were a bit overwhelmed.

Based on what I'm reading about Harmonious (I have refused to watch videos thus far as I would rather see it in person the first time), there is SO much going on to the nth degree and it is so disjointed that there are going to be people out there that just can't stand to watch or listen to it (actually, I read something similar to that several times here). My youngest HATES loud noises. Unexpected fireworks (like at our HS football game last Friday) can startle him so badly it triggers his fight/flight/freeze mechanism and it can take him a few minutes to calm down (much better than the hour plus it used to take when he was little). OTOH he LOVES music and performing arts, including the nighttime shows at Disney. Using noise reducing ear plugs he has been able to enjoy concerts and musicals. I'm not feeling confident this one will make the cut....

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

This is a point that is sadly getting lost under current leadership, and the endless "Disney lifestyler/influencer" types aren't helping. Walt Disney World is special, not because everyone wants to blindly consume the Disney brand. I can't even count how many people I know like myself who in no way endlessly consume Disney media but have always loved the Disney parks.
This is spot-on. The most compelling thing about the parks in the past was the difference in the "brand" each projected. World Showcase has always had a very international flavor, with unique music and sensibilities. Not quite international, but also not Mickey at every turn. The traditional Disney Brand was hyped to the extreme at the Magic Kingdom and that made it tolerable.

Now we are treated to Disney Brand 2.0®.

With all the aquisitions, one can only hope for the eventual Quagmire in Quahogland...

SoFloMagic

It occurs to me today that they could have easily made this a bit more (new) epcot by having four acts - themed to the four new neighborhoods.

Start with a narrator introducing the four neighborhoods and saying we're going to tour them.
world nature - do moana and lion king? Maybe flash an image or two of soarin

Then do discovery - Mulan maybe? Throw figment on the screen to get a cheer

Then celebration - coco. SSE

Torches and Pavillion lights come on. Reprise earlier songs in native languages for showcase act.

Boom. More Disney, more epcot, more family.

Dizknee_Phreek

You know, I keep thinking what would have happened if Disney had partnered with Cirque du Soleil for this show...or at least some of the people that have helped produce Cirque shows. I'm not talking acrobatics or live performers, of course. This would obviously be a much different show from what the Cirque people normally do. BUT...Cirque has mastered telling stories in a way that literally everyone understands without using a single word (at least any words in any known language). Their music and melodies are memorable and the singing becomes part of the song (really, I love international music for this reason, even if I don't speak the language). I wonder if this could have worked for a show like this? Have the songs and melodies that people are familiar with, but sung in a "language" know one knows, therefore making us all connected on an equal level. Does that make sense? Maybe that sort of thing works better with original scores rather than known ones from beloved movies. Which is likely why Cirque used the actual songs in Love rather than re-recording them in Cirquish. Although, that show did prove that Cirque could mesh songs together in a really beautiful way (something Harmonious struggles with). I know people enjoy singing along to familiar songs, but personally I'd be okay with people not being able to do that rather than standing next to some tone-deaf guests belting out Disney tunes while I'm trying to focus on a show. If no one knew the language, at least they could still hum along 😉

flynnibus

Premium Member
Having caught up from the weekend I watched the video of the show... I'll throw my thoughts into the pile

Headline... BORING

Second line... My 2000s PC called and they want my Mp3 visualizers back...

Where to start with this thing?

One, I have grown to accept that RoE was a different pace and more loftly in it's message than say the MK shows.. and as such often drags at times IMO. But, even while I'm not fully connected all the time, it is still a pretty impressive package. Some areas I wish I could trim.. but anyways. This thing...

1) I get nothing out of the reimaged songs. I don't get any joy or tickle from hearing classics reworked or performed in other languages. I still can't out of my head that they think this is some misguided way to bring 'diversity' to the show and 'respecting all cultures'. Newsflash... those cultures were watching a Disney film even before it was remade into something for their domestic tastes/language/whatever.

2) The taco LED screens were pretty much pointless. Sure at that one bird scene they had with the wing effect was kinda need... but the majority of the time they just seemed to be playing filler 'hey, I guess I should be doing something...'. They feel completely worthless and only serve as a base for the arms. Break these things up and sell them to some baseball stadiums while you still can.

3) The water effects were pretty much like technology demo and none of them really were that engaging to me. Sure it's fancy, etc.. but none of it 'mattered'. The best thing they did was provide the mist for the laser effects. Sure the stargate video is good looking in terms of 'it works!' but again, showing me content I don't care about == useless

4) The clip show structure... This format is so played out and boring. Again this plays out like a tech demo from a lot of different creators. Again, nothing resonates

5) Fireworks... were there any? I mean, yes obviously there is plenty, but it seems completely disassociated with what's going on at ground level. Again, different pieces all playing out but just doesn't seem to support each other.

6) Video content... another bore

7) I mean, we all feared it.. but my lord what kind of mess does this have to look like from anywhere not head on from the stargate? I'll watch more videos.. but this this seems even worse than feared.

Things I thought were neat??
The moment when the arms fire the pyro out the ends was very cool (and long!).
The edge lighting they achieve with the arms is neat
Obviously the tech platform itself is highly advanced and powerful - but it was just doing stuff I didn't get engaged with
The laser effects in the mist were probably my favorite part of the show! But obviously I wouldn't build a show around that alone.. but all those different effects were really impressive to me.
The arms were generally better than I anticipated (while the tacos themselves far worse)

I mean, I really had to force myself to keep watching. I was so disinterested from the first 5 minutes. This is Rivers of Light level of bore... with probably 10x the price tag. What a monsterous miss from Disney... I would have zero interest to hang out in EPCOT longer in the day just to see this as it stands right now.

And when you add in all the high spend, and trashing of WS done to bring this to the stage... It's not even insult to injury, it's WHAT IN THE WORLD were you all thinking?

If anything wants to wave the diversity flag over why this thing is great... spare me... It's supposed to be entertainment, not a hiring plan.

Tom Morrow

This is one of my understandings of good vs. bad imagineering (and this is just how I think of it, not saying this is what Disney does)....are you using technology to tell a story, or are you making up a story to use technology?

There's obviously overlap for both, but I think often it can easily get lost in the latter. The former should be more prevalent in decision making.

I honestly don't get any of the "wow" or "awe" factor or "only Disney could pull this off" with the technology used in Harmonious. It's a lot of other things used combined, but not in a very seamless way.

Rise of the Resistance is a recent example where Disney still shines in that "only Disney could pull this off" regard, in my opinion. Sure Universal could emulate the tech, but they'd get the pacing wrong and not include the little touches that make it resonate more. This is obviously the opposite. It's a tech demo that will look really cool on Instagram and a clip show.

Based on what I'm reading about Harmonious (I have refused to watch videos thus far as I would rather see it in person the first time), there is SO much going on to the nth degree and it is so disjointed that there are going to be people out there that just can't stand to watch or listen to it (actually, I read something similar to that several times here). My youngest HATES loud noises. Unexpected fireworks (like at our HS football game last Friday) can startle him so badly it triggers his fight/flight/freeze mechanism and it can take him a few minutes to calm down (much better than the hour plus it used to take when he was little). OTOH he LOVES music and performing arts, including the nighttime shows at Disney. Using noise reducing ear plugs he has been able to enjoy concerts and musicals. I'm not feeling confident this one will make the cut....

That's the weird thing about this show. The soundtrack is so ridiculously bombastic and noisy, but the visuals just do not match. You have very occasional flourishes of pyro, but most of it is images on the screens while their arm things slowly change from one position to the next. As others have pointed out, it looks like the backdrop to a mega stadium concert but is missing the main act. That might be over-simplifying it a bit, but there's a noticeable disconnect between the energy of the music vs. the visuals.

Casper Gutman

Rise of the Resistance is a recent example where Disney still shines in that "only Disney could pull this off" regard, in my opinion. Sure Universal could emulate the tech, but they'd get the pacing wrong and not include the little touches that make it resonate more.
Oh, for…

RotR is very good, but Uni can and has matched it. In fact, the “little touches” is where it falls down - it’s a technologically impressive but fairly antiseptic ride, in large part because of where they set it. It’s flat and plastic with straightforward human AA figures. As for pacing, Spidey works better on that front. Actually, with its many, many preshows, RotR is paced like an old-school Uni ride.

Now, MMRR - I think that’s darn close to a masterpiece and the most old-school feeling Disney ride in the States since Racers. But even there, folks need to face the fact that Uni and WDW are basically on par in tech AND artistry now.

Last edited:

bcoachable

Oh, for…

RotR is very good, but Uni can and has matched it. In fact, the “little touches” is where it falls down - it’s a technologically impressive but fairly antiseptic ride, in large part because of where they set it. It’s flat and plastic with straightforward human AA figures. As for pacing, Spidey works better on that front. Actually, with its many, many preshows, RotR is paced like an old-school Uni ride.

Now, MMRR - I think that’s darn close to a masterpiece and the most old-school feeling Disney ride in the States since Racers. But even there, folks need to face the fact that Uni and WDW are basically on par in tech AND artistry now.
Mostly because the design people at Uni (mostly) used to be design people at Disney… (and some vice-a-versa)
It comes down to the goals and the budget makers and how much money can this ride/land/show help to generate

Tom Morrow

Oh, for…

Universal's attractions are still full throttle, chaotic, bombastic, balls to the wall at all times and have no proper pacing. Spider-Man is an exception and not a rule. That is the single biggest difference. Proper pacing = more impactful.

I should have elaborated more. This is relevant to the conversation because the 20 year old Reflections of Earth was far more engaging, impactful, and interesting than Harmonious despite much more limited tech for many reasons, a major one being having proper pacing and not turned up to 11 the whole time.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

Barges are still hideous, but I will say this show was pretty solid imo. Thought the start of the show could’ve benefited a little more from a smidge more pyro but that’s just my opinion. We watched from Morocco and didn’t have an amazing view of the big circle one (were calling that Stargate (right?) so missed out on that but overall thought the show was much better than Enchantment. I don’t know about in comparison to ROE but

This show quality is bad. You can tell the imagineers like to hang out at Universal Studios when they just made a copy of Universal Cinematic Celebration. Movies and music mix with a water show and weak fireworks you can buy in a tent. People were leaving the park before the show, I never seen so many people leaving the park early when they did Reflections of Earth. You can't see the same show from anywhere on the lagoon. You have to make sure the barges don't block the view. The screens are tiny. The sound system quality is bad. They replaced a fireworks show with tiny screens. What is going on? Is Disney in financial trouble?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom