News 'Disney Enchantment' coming to Magic Kingdom October 1 2021

MagicHappens1971

For those who have seen better versions of the show, does IT incorporate any of the 50th decorations that are on the castle? Like utilizing the big 50 or something like that?

That will be your key right there if this is going to stick around after the 50th celebration is over. I guess they could always retool the show but if it uses elements that we know are going to be going away then that's a good sign that either a new show will be introduced or HEA will return.
It does. They have effects on the ribbons and what not, but nothing crazy, they retooled elements of HEA to incorporate the big 50 & the ribbons for it to ride out it’s run. I don’t think this will be an indicating factor. I think they will either update Enchantment, even maybe before the end of the celebration. Or maybe a HEA 2.0, probably very similar to the original but incorporate a few of the newer movies. If it was up to whoever designed Enchantment we’d probably have Moana: Journey of Pyrotechnics on the castle next.

Goofnut1980

That I agree with. It looks ok at night when it’s going but the music the flow the story is bad and it is just not worth those ugly massive taco and portal barges in the water all day
I truly will never understand why they didn’t just take over the Fantasmic theatre or build something like that for this show. All week I have looked at those hideous barges. They are NOT appealing at all. It wouldn’t be so bad if all of the workings at the bottom were hidden under the water. And I saw one of the screens flickering the other day while in World Showcase.

Goofnut1980

Can you imagine if they had done.. Spectromagic for the 50th.. Literally the exact parade but with all new float technology and mix in a few newer floats with it.. But the big orchestra style music.. That would have been epic.
I think my favorite joke of all is seeing them tape off areas for people to line up for a cavalcade that literally has 1 float in it.. People start to see other people line up (monkey see monkey do) and then.. yup..its over… cracks me up

VJ

I think my favorite joke of all is seeing them tape off areas for people to line up for a cavalcade that literally has 1 float in it.. People start to see other people line up (monkey see monkey do) and then.. yup..its over… cracks me up
just wait til the 50th Cavalcade Dining Packages start up...

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Can you imagine if they had done.. Spectromagic for the 50th.. Literally the exact parade but with all new float technology and mix in a few newer floats with it.. But the big orchestra style music.. That would have been epic.
I’m not a fan of repeating what’s been done. I do love Spectro tho.

JohnD

My god what a disappointment. Remember, when DL did their anniversary they got what was considered the greatest castle/fireworks show they had ever had for their nighttime anchor. One that could hold up even today even 15+ years later.

We get this nerfed show for WDW's biggest anniversary...

1) Why does Disney insist on keep recording new versions of their classics into poppy trash? Its like they don't want to pay their own royalties or something... each show this gets worse and worse. I don't want to hear whatever no-name you are trying to pump up - you're playing those songs for the connections people have and the performances that made them stand out. HEA opening song is of this formula and it's the low point of the show.. at least that show recovers and while the closer is close, at least the closer is a ton better. Enchanted is this all the way through..

I mean, I'm a metal guy.. I'm wearing a Iron Maiden shirt as I type this.. and GIVE ME THE REAL ORCHESTRAL NIGHT ON BALD MOUNTAIN, not your new guitar version of it! I don't want to hear wannabe Trans Siberian Orchestra here!!

The no voices anywhere makes me wonder if content licensing isn't a part of the equation... even though it should all be in house.

2) The Main Street Projections are a complete waste. I have no idea why they continued with it in this show.. it was bland when they did it at Disneyland... and this execution is just as meh. I can only think some people are convinced this is an operational improvement to draw people away from the hub. They are lame and we should have spent that money elsewhere.

3) Was there anything in the projections that stood out as grabbing you? Nothing to me... it's like they lost all the institutional knowledge they built up over the prior projection shows that previously culminated in what we get in HEA.

4) There really seemed like poor tying between what is going on in the castle and the fireworks. I mean, there were some minor moments, but overall it really didn't stand out as impressive or even cohesive for the bulk of the show. This is another skill set they had been refining through the last castle shows and this one felt mailed in. Where were the wow moments or emotional hooks?

5) Same boring structure... I mean many of Disney's shows have fallen to this opener, clip segments, then closer format.. but while this one doesn't feel as nearly as bad as Harmonious in that disjointed clips, this really just gave me nothing in the progression or overall emotional ride through the show

6) BORING - the things above really kept me from getting hooked in any part of the show.. I had a moment of interest about the 5min mark hoping it was getting better and it was just the opening segments that were flat... but it never got me but slightly interested. This show played out like so many of the weak DHS firework shows instead of the anchors we are used to at MK.

I did like those shells that did the climbing rings in their secondary burn... those were cool. The laser potential was cool.. but where were the great laser effects TO the castle that gave such cool effects in prior shows?

I'll give it more shots when we get some good video from the hub... but after the first watch... what a letdown and bore. I'd only watch again because I'm such a fan and I hope to find something to appreciate and hope something will start to stick.
I agree with a lot of your points. I liked it overall but didn’t think it was better than HEA. HEA, for its part really made use of the projections. Rocket flying out of turret? That was cool. Tangled sequence. I could go on. The projections in this show blended together. The MS projections are a distraction esp if you’re standing in the middle of the street. Your head goes everywhere to process everything—both sides of the street and castle.

SirLink

I’ll say it again. The old celebrate the magic projection show paid more homage to Disney Mickey and Walt himself more than any of the 50th celebration shows. Sadly
I would rather see/hear snippets of Roy Disney dedication speech as its WDW 50th. Also I would of rather heard a new version of Remember the Magic with a slight update. e.g. Remember the Magic: 50 Years of Magic. It ain't hard stuff, easy things Disney over complicates with stories to over compensate for inadequate/lacklustre projects - HarmoniUS, TSL et al. Yet things which should have more theming Disney refuses to do. Its baffling

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

It’s not. I liked it. I just don’t think it’s better than HEA. That doesn’t make it subpar.
That’s my feeling. It looks good and I appreciate something new for the 50th. I’ll give my final review after seeing it in person Friday. Too many are basing their thoughts on a DPB stream (even if they’ve watched others, they watched the DPB stream first). It was awful like all DPB streams AND we were grumpy because they said 10:15 and we got to watch out of sync speeches from people who are not good public speakers for 30 min before showtime. We were all grumpy. This also followed Harmonious’s premiere, a show that is certainly-deserving of criticism. So none of us were in the best headspace. Add in a general sense of despair toward the pandemic 50th happening as it is, and the cards were stacked against this show. I’ve been trying to remove all that baggage when framing my opinion of what I’ve seen so far, which is entirely virtual, as I’ve said.

This was an unequivocal FAIL for the parks blog. I think we can all agree on that and we’ve seen all we need to see to make that conclusion. Anecdotally, it seems opinions of the show from in-park are much better than the virtual viewing.

Disone

I am sadden.

I will say that absolutely the crowd reaction in the live performances is definitely more positive in the moment than what we are reading on here. This is true for both shows Harmonious and Enchantment.

I'm trying to be positive. And I'm trying to let both shows grow on me. And they are to a limited extent. I still feel and understand all the complaints and concerns about both shows.

Specifically since this is the Enchantment thread.... They marketed this as Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary show. Quite literally a reason to come and visit Walt Disney World during its 50th Anniversary. Perhaps even the biggest reason to visit during the 50th anniversary. As such I just had such a different expectation. I think really it's fair to say most did. How can you call this a 50th Anniversary show? It's not a 50th Anniversary show!

Ohhhh..... we're going "into the unknown" and then the unknown is the villains segment and then we find a magic in our self after doing that ? I do enjoy this new song but If you have to explain the story then Disney, the self-proclaimed Masters of elevating storytelling to a whole new level, have completely failed at storytelling.

Enchantment has failed at storytelling.

It's just a show.

A good show? Sure!!!!! But also the wrong show and either way it is not better than its predecessor.

I don't understand why all the investment into Happily Ever After and then killing that show after only four years. Did they even make a return on investment and what they put into that show?

Something is lost here. And I'm deeply deeply concerned that Disney has lost its magic touch when it comes to knowing how to do a fireworks show. It just comes across a little bit like Night Time Entertainment shows from many other theme parks.

I hope it grows on me with time but for now I'm saddened and concerned that perhaps Disney has lost the magic touch emotionally connect with the masses via a live spectacular. There are always those who will not like something. There was a few who hate HEA. That said one cannot deny when HEA came out it was a hit right out of the ballpark. There is clearly more the just a few minority not impressed with this show.

Major hit with the vast majority?

Disney Enchantment is not. Harmonious is not. Kite tails is not. 3 Strikes in a row. Three!!!

Does Disney still have the ability to create an amazing outdoor spectacular? Or has budget-cutting, give the guests less for more and don't worry, cut too deep into the culture of corporate Disney?

Don't mind IP. But this needs to take a step back. Disney needs to re-evaluate how to use that IP not if to use it. Someone should also tell Bob C. that the parks themselves are an incredibly highly valued IP.

If they don't this lackluster kickoff of the 50th anniversary of their Crown Jewel Theme Park complex, really could be thier jump the shark moment.

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
No hate for it from me, however it doesn't touch the emotions that HEA did. However HEA took a few watches for me to really enjoy it, perhaps with familiarity this will be the same?
I've watched probably about 20 videos of DE by now; from different livestreams and povs and such.
For sure it's growing on me by now, but I still always shake my head at some parts...Tink reveal probs being the worst offender.

I admit the main music is catchy. I already hum it throughout the day lol. YOU are the magic!! :D

But I agree, the emotion is lacking

wtyy21

I am sadden.

I will say that absolutely the crowd reaction in the live performances is definitely more positive in the moment than what we are reading on here. This is true for both shows Harmonious and Enchantment.

I'm trying to be positive. And I'm trying to let both shows grow on me. And they are to a limited extent. I still feel and understand all the complaints and concerns about both shows.

Specifically since this is the Enchantment thread.... They marketed this as Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary show. Quite literally a reason to come and visit Walt Disney World during its 50th Anniversary. Perhaps even the biggest reason to visit during the 50th anniversary. As such I just had such a different expectation. I think really it's fair to say most did. How can you call this a 50th Anniversary show? It's not a 50th Anniversary show!

Ohhhh..... we're going "into the unknown" and then the unknown is the villains segment and then we find a magic in our self after doing that ? I do enjoy this new song but If you have to explain the story then Disney, the self-proclaimed Masters of elevating storytelling to a whole new level, have completely failed at storytelling.

Enchantment has failed at storytelling.

It's just a show.

A good show? Sure!!!!! But also the wrong show and either way it is not better than its predecessor.

I don't understand why all the investment into Happily Ever After and then killing that show after only four years. Did they even make a return on investment and what they put into that show?

Something is lost here. And I'm deeply deeply concerned that Disney has lost its magic touch when it comes to knowing how to do a fireworks show. It just comes across a little bit like Night Time Entertainment shows from many other theme parks.

I hope it grows on me with time but for now I'm saddened and concerned that perhaps Disney has lost the magic touch emotionally connect with the masses via a live spectacular. There are always those who will not like something. There was a few who hate HEA. That said one cannot deny when HEA came out it was a hit right out of the ballpark. There is clearly more the just a few minority not impressed with this show.

Major hit with the vast majority?

Disney Enchantment is not. Harmonious is not. Kite tails is not. 3 Strikes in a row. Three!!!

Does Disney still have the ability to create an amazing outdoor spectacular? Or has budget-cutting, give the guests less for more and don't worry, cut too deep into the culture of corporate Disney?

Don't mind IP. But this needs to take a step back. Disney needs to re-evaluate how to use that IP not if to use it. Someone should also tell Bob C. that the parks themselves are an incredibly highly valued IP.

If they don't this lackluster kickoff of the 50th anniversary of their Crown Jewel Theme Park complex, really could be there jump the shark moment.
As an anti-WDW folks who have strong positive feeling about Disneyland as well as overseas disney parks, i actually dislike Enchantment more than anyone else because it doesn't celebrating the park or resort that celebrated it. See the content about the firework show, doesn't even including past and present attractions at WDW, which most DLR fans disappointed and sadded about the new MK show. DL have Remember... Dreams Come True as staple for their 50th anniversary fireworks show in 2005 and still the best firework show Disney have (Harmonious actually having the best about tech, which why i actually likes Harmonious more despite not as good storytelling as ROE). Tokyo Disneyland also have equivalent show (Celebrate! TDL) in 2018 which was Steve Davison production that should actually concepted for MK in their 50th fireworks show back then.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I truly will never understand why they didn’t just take over the Fantasmic theatre or build something like that for this show. All week I have looked at those hideous barges. They are NOT appealing at all. It wouldn’t be so bad if all of the workings at the bottom were hidden under the water. And I saw one of the screens flickering the other day while in World Showcase.
Yeah I just don’t understand ALOT of Disney’s thinking and direction the last several years honestly. The trends are not favorable to most

gerarar

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure it was said by insiders and others that HEA was always envisioned as a temporary show. So given that, Disney was surprised at the reception it got and it changed plans internally. So I would assume yes Disney got their ROI.

ToTBellHop

I'm pretty sure it was said by insiders ans others that HEA was always envisioned as a temporary show. So given that, Disney was surprised at the reception it got and it changed plans internally. So I would assume yes Disney got their ROI.
Correct. Wishes was old and they knew it wouldn’t be acceptable all the way through 2021. If Enchantment becomes beloved by 2023, it would become the permanent headliner.

We will see what GSATs look like by 3/31/23.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom